Am I A Freak?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TeleBrew, Oct 25, 2019.

1. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I used to think that I preferred "modern" sized frets and flatter fretboard radii, then I thought I preferred vintage specs (skinny frets, 7.25" radius), then back to bigger frets and flatter radii. And I also thought I preferred one scale length over another.

What I've come to realize is that pretty much any size fret and any shaped neck, and any fretboard radius feels fine to me. I am comfortable playing a wide variety of guitars, with a wide variety of specs, and even scale lengths. Am I a freak?

2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I think it's pronounced "versatile". :cool: I think we should all be well rounded when it comes to fretboard radius, and not narrow minded as it relates to neck width. I don't fret about it too much, I just play. :lol:

3. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Holic

Yes. Yes you are.

But not for any of the things in your post.

4. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

they all have certain advantages. like you, I thought thin/wide neck with jumbo frets feels fast. big frets actually make a neck feel thicker. wide nut and wide radius actually makes a neck feel thicker. lots of really fast players play(ed) 7.5 radius tele neck. it's all good.

TeleBrew and Obsessed like this.
  5. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

If you have to ask...

6. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

No, you're a guitar player. Some feel better than others, but you should be able to play all different radii necks and all different scale guitars. I find it weird when people just automatically write of a guitar because of a spec, without ever even touching it.

7. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I can adapt to any guitar almost instantly ...

Owenmoney, TeleBrew and Fuelish like this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I agree with everyone above. It is good to be versatile. I think the advantages and disadvantages for each design serve a purpose. I suspect we all develop preferences and probably some designs are more advantageous for certain genres too.

Owenmoney, TeleBrew and nojazzhere like this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I think I've played almost everything (within reason) in my 55+years of playing. While they've ALL been "playable" (other than super-high string action) I've never felt real comfortable on slim, thin necks. I've yet to find one that was TOO fat, although there might be one out there. My preference is my Warmoth Fatback (1" thickness) and 1 11/16" width at nut. I'm currently putting together a second Tele, with another Fatback neck, although after I had finished TruOiling it, I discovered it's only .97" thickness. I'm going to try it.....I think it will be acceptable. (hope) So, while I can play almost anything, why put up with something not to your preferences? (if you have them?)

GuitarKid, TeleBrew and 8barlouie like this.
  10. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

I'm in the freak club. ;)
    I always think "this is what I prefer" until I play something different. I guess I don't like short-scale necks as much as I used to, but radius and thickness are not huge issues.

TeleBrew likes this.
  11. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I never paid any attention to neck dimensions for a long time. Hell, I don’t think I realized there were differences; I just “liked” or “didn’t like” particular guitars. Eventually, I discovered that I liked wider and/or thicker necks mostly because I have ET fingers, and need the space. I was mostly an acoustic player for years, so “fast” electric necks threw me, because I grip too hard. My t style has a chunky neck and medium jumbo frets; once I learned that a light touch worked better, it became my fave. However, my other main players are a ‘65 Danelectro and a Godin 5th Ave, followed by a mandolin and a 12 string Takamine, so the short answer is, if you don’t overthink it, you adapt without thinking about it.

P.S.: I don’t play any better on any one type of neck. I sound equally bad on all of them.

Harry Styron, nojazzhere and TeleBrew like this.
  12. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I used to not care that much about neck dimensions or fret size unless they were extremely large or small. But as I approach 70, the arthritis in my hands is making it very uncomfortable to play large necks, and I'm beginning to prefer the thinnest, narrowest necks possible, as these cause the least pain for my hands. Also, I've grown to dislike small frets, and in fact, I won't buy any guitar or neck that doesn't have 6150 stainless frets. It's all right to be picky about you like, it doesn't really matter, and it's nobody's business.

TeleBrew likes this.
  13. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Neck ,fretboard,frets don't matter.
    I still suck at guitar.

Dan German, Chunkocaster and TeleBrew like this.
  14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I too don’t really have a preference.
    I have many different fret gauges and fingerboard radii on my electric instruments.
    As I prefer relatively high action and heavier strings, those things don’t rock my world too much.
    I cannot tolerate “fretless wonder” micro frets, and I generally prefer medium jumbo fretwire.
    As long as the guitar rings and sustains well, I’m happy.

15. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Meister

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Yer alright

TeleBrew likes this.
  16. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

I feel like letting my freak flag fly !!

Your not a freak. I love Mike Campbell, in a set he would play teles, Les pauls, dusenburgs, epiphone, Rickenbacker, gretsch, you name it. He will play any guitar and use it for any song and it will sound great.

While the lot of people will be more concerned if their boss pedal has a silver screw or refuse to play unless their $400 tubescreamer is only made once a year in a garage with unicorn parts.

17. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

You're not a freak. I can also pick up any guitar and enjoy it without having to have a neck just so. They are the freaks.

TeleBrew likes this.
  18. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I see you've read my posts before. :lol:

57fenderstrat likes this.
  19. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Just sounds like you have played a wide variety of guitars. Likewise playing acoustics often also helps. I suffered for the first couple years learning on a really crappy acoustic with a high action and heavy strings. Everything felt great after that.

I find that small vintage frets with a low action can be a pita to get under strings for bends etc but it's not that big a deal, just makes things more awkward than they need to be.

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

Haha yeah most likely somewhere here

RetroTeleRod likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.