Am Deluxe Tele without an S1 switch

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by FullyFlapped, Mar 24, 2020 at 2:07 PM.

1. FullyFlapped

FullyFlapped TDPRI Member

Hi everyone, nice to be on board !

I'm looking at buying what is listed as a "2006 American Deluxe Telecaster". It looks lovely, and the serial number is appropriate for a Deluxe from that year. However, it seems a bit strange, so I was wondering is someone can advise ...

1. It has no S1 switch.
    2. The bridge pickup has "Noiseless" written on it, but the neck has nothing on the lipstick cover - I'd have expected "SCN" for that year.

Has anyone seen a genuine Deluxe Tele from 2006 which would fit this bill, or is this a partscaster ?

Really appreciate any help, as, although it's very pretty, it ain't cheap ...

Thanks !

tah1962 likes this.
  2. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Neither of those pickups are stock. Ask the seller if the original pickups and S-1 switch are included. If you get an answer you don't like, walk away. It's fairly common and very easy to replace pickups. On an American Deluxe Tele, really all the S-1 does is put both pickups in series, and it only does that when the pickup selector switch is in the middle position (both pickups "ON"). Maybe this seller has replaced the S-1 with a 4-way pickup switch, as it does the same thing.

3. FullyFlapped

The seller has told me that he has changed nothing on this guitar, which is why I'm a little worried. Basically, what I'm really asking is, did all the Am DLX Tele's from this period have the S1 switch fitted when new, or could you buy one without it ?

4. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

The S-1 switch starts on American Deluxe Teles in 2004, the same year they switched to SCN pickups. So a stock 2006 should have both the switch and the SCNs.

Pictures would be helpful - sounds like the electronics were swapped out regardless. The 1998-2003 American Deluxes did not have the S-1 switch and had Vintage Noiseless pickups - which have the "Noiseless" script on them. But the neck pickup had a small black area on the chrome cover with the "Noiseless" script logo. So who knows what the electronics are on this one.

Also what about the neck heel on the body? 1998-2003 had a normal heel, while a 2004 and later would have the contoured neck heel (at least on the alder body models; ash body models from 2004-2015 did not have binding or the contoured neck heel, and didn't even have the tummy cut until 2012).

5. FullyFlapped

@John C , thanks so much for your help. I've attached some images, if you have any comments on them I'd be fascinated to receive them ! s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg

Attached Files:

6. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

This is a parts guitar - I ran the serial number on Fender's website and it comes up as an American Deluxe Tele in Montego Black (which came with a gold colored pickguard).

So it's the neck from one American Deluxe Tele, the body from another since it's sunburst, and it's been rewired with different pickups and electronics.

7. FullyFlapped

@John C - thanks very much for this ! The Fender website you used - is it available to anyone ? I know there are dating sites, but I've never heard of one that describes the guitar's colour - it would be fantastically useful to anyone trying to check out a guitar before buying it !

Really appreciate the help, thanks again !

8. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

9. FullyFlapped

Yes, I'd already raised that with the seller, and he'd admitted that he'd got that wrong - I don't think he's too well up on this stuff, to be honest. I don't think he's tried to deliberately mislead anyone, just doesn't know exactly what he's selling.

10. FullyFlapped

@John C It's OK, I've found the website you describe - thanks !

11. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It looks like a decent partscaster. If it plays well and for the right price, it may be a nice instrument.

If this is an on-line deal, well, I would shy away, but that's just me.

Archtop Bill likes this.
  12. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Just looked at the ad - it's the wrong case also. That case wasn't used until 2008, and even then it was only on American Standards while American Deluxes stuck with the guitar-shaped case until 2010 (when the next model American Deluxe came out). Frankly the later case is a better case then the one that is supposed to come with it.

Agreed - I would only buy this one in person, and the online seller wants too much for a mint 2006, much less a nice guitar built up from Fender parts.

13. Titch

Titch TDPRI Member

It should have locking tuners as well, pick ups should have N3 on them.
    I've just been comparing your pics to my 2012 American De Luxe in the same sunburst finish

14. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Not N3, they came later. Pickups should be Samarium Cobalt Noiseless (SCN).

15. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Locking tuners came later as well. Both locking tuners and N3 pickups start with the 3rd Generation American Deluxe that was released in 2010 (as does the compound radius).

The generations were:
    1. Generation 1 (1998-2003) - Vintage Noiseless pickups, no S-1
    2. Generation 2 (2004-2009) - SCN pickups, adds S-1, contoured neck heel on alder body versions (ash body versions have no binding, tummy cut or contoured neck heel)
    3. Generation 3 (2010-2015) - N3 pickups, adds locking tuners and compound radius fingerboards (also the ash body version gets the tummy cut circa March 2012 - same point in time when the American Standards get the tummy cut)
    American Deluxes are replaced by the American Elites in 2016, and in turn the American Ultras replaced the American Elites circa November 2019.

Archtop Bill likes this.
  16. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Afflicted

I’m not a fan of the S1 switch so I personally wouldn’t miss it. When I got my 2014 American Deluxe Tele, the first thing I did was put in a new volume pot and rewired everything to a 4 way switch...YMMV

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.