1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Always on versitial overdrives

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by GuitarsBuicks, Sep 7, 2020.

1. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

The only pedal I've used that does this is the Origin Effects Revivaldrive. However, even the compact version is outside of your budget new.

I use one through a Fender 57 Custom Deluxe reissue at 'bedroom' levels and it sounds and feels amazing. Through a louder amp at gigging levels it sounds unbelievable.

2. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Thank you all for the discourse. I have read all of the posts and learned a lot. I think I have come to a decision. Play slightly too loud and get the tones I want and need from my minimalist rig.

Rocky058, Roman4405 and telemnemonics like this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Too loud has always been my solution!
    Be ready to hear "hey can you turn down a little?" though.
    A good answer is "what?".

kevsonic and Cali Dude like this.
  4. igor5

igor5 Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

Mr.Ike, sanfi4u and M2roadwarrior like this.
  5. Roman4405

Roman4405 Tele-Meister

Then stick a germanium Sun Face in front of it and melt someone’s face off or turn down you guitar volume and get a pretty amazing cleanish tone.

telemnemonics likes this.
  6. M2roadwarrior

M2roadwarrior Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

+1 Timothy
    Ignore settings, I experiment

Attached Files:

7. J-bass&Tele

J-bass&Tele Tele-Meister

Sweet Honey OD almost kicked the Wampler Euphoria of my board as my always on OD. For my main OD tone, both did it very well. The Euphoria is a bit more versatile though so it stayed.

Gatordad likes this.
  8. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

I was going to suggest the The Breakdown anyway, and then I saw you are considering it.

I have this pedal, and I love it.

But, to date, I've mostly used it on the huge/loud end of the range. In other words, with Break-up knob on 6 and the Volume knob set to push the amp a fair bit. It's my loud, fuzz-like fat riff monster that also works for chords.

But, it also works really sweetly as a boost or gentle OD with the Break-up knob set anywhere from 1 - 3 and the Volume knob adjusted accordingly. There is a fairly large amount of gain on tap, and you can get quite a range of subtle variation balancing the two controls. You can use the Volume to drive your amp in conjunction with what the Break-up knob is doing, or just use it to set the level and let the Break-up knob handle the work.

For example, I can get a really nice little boost that just subtly flavours the overall tone to something quite nice. I can also colour the tone more at that level by upping the Break-up and backing off the Volume.

I was seriously considering getting a second one, so I could use one as an always on tone enhancer and the other for the fat riff tone. But, I recently built a germanium Fuzz Face clone, and now that the weather here is cooling and the fuzz is behaving itself more, I'm moving over to using the Breakdown as a tone enhancer with slight boost and the fuzz as Mr. Riff.

I also have a Timmy clone. No idea how it compares to a real Timmy, but it does what you want too. Sounds nice, but different from the Breakdown. Personally, I prefer the Breakdown's sound and the larger range of possibilities it brings.

I use The Breakdown into a Vox Top Boost only AC4HW1 incidentally. I specifically bought it as I like it into AC type amps. But, by all accounts, it works in other amps just fine too. It solved the "ACs don't take drive pedals" problem for me (as did my Timmy clone incidentally).

Your biggest problem really, is that there is an almost overwhelming array of choices. Hope this helps in some way.

Pax/
    Dean

9. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

J. Rockett .45 Caliber -- It Just Works
    Bogner Ecstasy Blue -- if you can't dial in something you like with this thing, you're doing it wrong

10. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

I've been considering another J Rad to add to the Archer. Does the 45 cal get higher gain than the Archer? How does it sound through an already overdriven amp?

11. Fred-paris

Fred-paris TDPRI Member

At the moment, I am quite pleased with the OCD Ge and Way Huge Saucy box. They go very well in front of other overdrive and distortion pedals if you keep the drive level at noon or 2 o'clock. Other guitarists have good results with Xotic BB Preamp and AC Booster but so far I'm not really in love with them. The Marshall Bluesbreaker (the 90s version) is very good as an always on pedal. The only concern I have with that pedal is its low range for the level knob (it's almost maxed out even at low sound levels) - and of course it costs a lot of money if you weren't smart (or old) enough to buy it 25 years ago.

12. oleblacktele

oleblacktele TDPRI Member

Another vote for the Timmy or Tim pedal. The Tim has an additional boost that makes it an extremely versatile pedal. Just got the MXR Timmy for my second board. Small, affordable, available, and sounds great.

13. alexman

alexman TDPRI Member

You guys are gonna hate me but I recommend the big muff deluxe.it has everything I need. It's got a mid boost type button. It can sound just about like any variation of the muff with more options.has a noise gate.and an input for a expression pedal.just my two cents.i think everyone deserves alittle muff in their lives

telemnemonics likes this.
  14. Itgoesto11

Itgoesto11 Tele-Meister

I highly recommend a Wampler Tumnus with the gain set low like this:

8810772E-6B89-4A28-B82F-85F4C7077B09.jpeg

Gatordad and El Tele Lobo like this.
  15. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sparkle Drive, I like the ability to blend the clean signal back into the overdrive. Can also be used as a clean boost in a pinch.

16. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

+1 on the Timmy.

17. telemnemonics

Sometimes I feel like I've said enough here, and don't really feel like telling an OP I think they got it all backwards, but I had a similar thought in terms of the big picture:

OP has a SRRI he says is clean all the way up and he never turns it up all the way.
    He usually uses it for clean sound with just a phaser.

Some songs like Sharp Dressed Man and Simple Man require dirty rock tones.

IMO always on OD is not even close to what will get those two songs dirty guitar sound out of a clean BF Fender turned down.

First off those are both mid forward Brutish, sorry British (or Tweed) tones, not scooped mids BF Fender tones.
    Second off, an always on OD is generally in the "light OD" "transparent OD" camp.
    Third, an OD only sometimes works for a Billy Gibbons/ Skynrd sort of Rock sound.
    When an OD is all you need for BFG tones is when the amp is voiced like BFG tones.

A SRRI is not voiced like BFG or Skynrd, which are more Brutish Marshall style tones.

So a pedal to change the OPs scooped mids BF cleans into dirty Marshall tone needs to be a whole nother animal from what's generally considered "always on OD".
    Distortion pedals like MIAB family are an option for getting a scooped BF amp to sound more Brutish.

A muff circuit with a mid boost option can work too!
    Most muffs are generally mid scooped though, and many users tried a muff once and wrote them off.
    What I find is that the controls on muffs are part of why many can't find a ue for them:
    The gain knob is really not a gain knob at all.
    I view a muff gain knob as a mids knob, where turning down the gain scoops the mids and BOOSTS THE BASS.
    So if you want a BFG/ Skynrd rock sound from a muff, turn the gain/ fuzz/ sustain knob up all the way!

As far as some of the suggested "always on OD" pedals, many in this thread will not make a turned down clean Super Reverb deliver a Rev Billy approved Rock tone.
    Getting the right answers often requires asking the right question.

Interestingly, Billy often used SS distortion for his idealized recorded sounds, including Scholz Rockman, Marshall Lead 12, Legend amps, and the Bixonic Expandora.
    Those are all SS DISTORTION sounds, not OD pedal sounds.
    Skynrd I'm pretty sure is generally Marshall dirt, but I'm not as well informed on their gear, just generally sounds Marshally and I do know (classic) Marshall sounds pretty well.

Cali Dude likes this.
  18. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

Save even more $ and get the Caline Pure Sky.

19. telemnemonics

Interesting spendy dirt box!

Reading up on it they claim to have added the ghosting found in "certain vintage tube amps".
    I had a few of those amps including the iconic '67 Plexi 100, which was the EVH amp used for the first few albums.
    Due to inadequate power section filtering, we got the ghosting or ghost notes, plus 60hz ripple which sort of thickens the sound.
    I'm not ready to spend $385 on a dirt pedal but it seems interesting.

My hand wired 18w Marshall clones each cost me less than that pedal...

I do spend some pretty good money on SS dirt pedals, plus mu share of tube dirt pedals including the Soldano two tube GTO that he says is the dirty section of the SLO amps preamp.

So many ways to get the fizz/ buzz/ gravel/ grit of dirty tone but first I need to get am amp with the eq I want to hear a more dirty version of.
    Some dirt pedals try to change the basic eq of the amp, notably the TS family, but there is more to what a Tweed/ Marshall/ Hiwatt does than simple boosted mids.
    Curious about that ghostable dirt pedal though.

Do you run it into scooped mids amps? or mid hump amps?

20. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

I’d rather pay a bit more and have Paul C get his cut. ;)

Daddy Hojo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.