1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Always on pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Hendrixlvr, Jun 7, 2016.

1. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

FYI...I use the Timmy with very little gain. I don’t like the gain set any more than 9 O’Clock. I also put an LM1458 op amp in it and I feel that sounds better. YMMV.

Best of luck with your search.

uriah1 likes this.
  2. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

I like the timmy, but not with every amp.

uriah1 likes this.
  3. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I'm still tempted to try a Tumnus-type pedal as a subtle boost to my single coils. Not sure if a Spark Boost is the same idea as the SparkleDrive, but sometimes I leave the SD on with gain off and the clean dial up for the same purpose. The only effect I leave on most of the time (in addition to the amp's reverb, aways on) is the DanEcho, or the Flashback set on the echo setting; guilty of loving slapjack echo!

uriah1 likes this.
  4. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

One 'always on' application that it looks like I'm now sold on - I've now got a pedal with a buffer in the path, specifically for when I'm playing through my 5E3 clone. It just seems to firm things up in all the right ways, and fix the scratchy/static'y effect when I turn my volume knob on the guitar up or down (and it's not a scratchy vol. pot issue) - not sure if I'm using crappy 12AY7s that are 'degrading' the signal or something, but any old buffer just seems to make things better.

5. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

EHX LPB-2ube, used as a tube buffer for the pedal board, very subtle improvement of warming the board up.

6. bradpdx

bradpdx Friend of Leo's

Echoplex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Still a little early in my experience with it, but it seems the SoloDallas Storm might foot this bill.

The Nocturne Atomic Brain def does

8. Vibro Joe

Vibro Joe TDPRI Member

Since the late ‘70s, it’s been the LPB-1. Every time one died, id get another. A few days ago, my NANO LPB-1 gave up. Time for another, or maybe an EP Booster

9. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Reverb.

10. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I also have reverb on most of the time. The times I got used to having an always-on pedal, sooner or later, I would be shocked when I finally turn it off, how good it sounds with just guitar into amp, so I cut back on the always-on program.

11. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Back from the dead thread! Just got a DOD Bi-fet boost I'm liking with P90's. Will try leaving on all set if we ever get to play again, always have a smidge of delay on be it from the amp (Katana) or if using my Pro Jr. using a Sonicake Twiggy Blues.

uriah1 likes this.
  12. bentb0sp

bentb0sp TDPRI Member

Exotic EP Boost.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

13. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Holic

Holy back from the dead thread! I forgot I even had this one lmao. I guess I can update with what I’m currently using.....right now my “always on pedal” is a fuzz! That’s right I said a fuzz! The Mythos Pedals Joey Landreth High Road Fuzz. Cleans up beautifully with guitars volume and when I want to really cut I kick in my trusty ts9 and it gives it just enough

14. domdavid

domdavid TDPRI Member

My always on are Boss CS3 compressor and GE7 Equalizer

15. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

Fairfield Barbershop V2, used as a preamp or end of chain boost.

YMMV

16. ZiggyBlue

ZiggyBlue TDPRI Member

Playing my Super Reverb at church right now so I use sometimes a Super Six SRV MOD or a Boss OD-3. Which ever I use I hit it with either a Pride of Texas or a Jaques Overtube Vintage Pro Overdrive! All of which are on the same board. Playing a different amp might require a different set or single drive.

17. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Looks like the return of an old thread

I use either an old blonde Blues Jr. or a little Vox Pathfinder ( just don't play big room gigs, plus I'm the only guitar in my groups) and I use an always ON Blues Driver- it just works for me and the range of old R&R, blues, Country I play.

Besides providing the right OD sound I want to hear ( similar to that of a CRANKED small Fender combo, which is NOT practical-too loud for my real-life gig environment) the BD-2 adds some sparkle and Presence to both amp AND pretty much doubles the output of the baby Pathfinder.

Since the pedal adds a clean volume boost with my guitar Volume knob at say halfway up, I just roll into OD turning up the guitar the rest of the way- it's just a ' dirty extension' of the clean tone.

Instead of stepping on a distortion pedal that changes my sound. I know maybe that's exactly what others want, but not me.

I set the pedal Gain knob ( depending on music style) to how much distortion I want to get when I do turn guitar Vol. all the way up.

dswo likes this.
  18. Flooding Rivers

Flooding Rivers TDPRI Member

My always-on drive pedal is a McSpunckle And Aardvarks!. I didn't get it for that purpose but it just pairs so well with my Tele that it's the core of my tone now. I use it to give a slight treble boost and enough gain to push it just beyond clean into the edge of break-up. It can best be described as making a Tele sound more Tele-ish... I don't know what I'd do if it dies or gets stolen/lost because they don't seem to be made anymore and all I can find out about it is that it's a ZVex Super Hard On clone with some kind of diode clipping...

To add to that my EQD Dispatch Master is always on with a generous helping of reverb and sometimes a bit of slapback. It's now so 'always on' that the footswitch seems to be feeling undervalued and has gone on strike, because if you turn it off no sound at all passes through the pedal!

19. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Joyo JF10 Compressor and/or Danelectro Billion Dollar Boost or NUX Horseman...the compressor almost always on.

20. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

Always on ? This:
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.