1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Always on buffer/Boost...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Muzik4Machines, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Muzik4Machines

Muzik4Machines TDPRI Member

i have a klone and an EP boost, and i wonder which should go in front of the pedalboard and which at the very end, i plan to have one of them on at all times for the "color"

the pedals in between are

before the first buffer: volume and fuzz face
    *one of the buffer/boost
    clean loop: boss XT-2 (no gain, blackface-ish tone)
    dirt loop: "parallel fuzz", rat, fz2, pw2, tube screamer, ds-1

post loops: DD3, DD6

one of the buffer/boost

i also thought about putting the klone in the clean loop but then i loose it in the dirt

the whole chain between the fuzzface out and the last boost/buff is in a true bypass loop so i can go guitar, FF, boost, amp for pure tone

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

100% personal taste. It sounds like you have two options, try them both. There is no right answer.

3. Muzik4Machines

i know:)
    i spend most of my weekends shuffling pedals around while recording to have different sounds for the tracks

i just wanted advice and tricks from the community

i hope boss makes an ES16 PRO so i can plus all my stuff in and just reroute them via the interface :)

4. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

I run my EP Booster after fuzz face. I have it (the EP) set to unity volume when the knob is all the way down; it seems to help the fuzz face sit/cut better in a mix (especially germanium fuzz face). At the end of my chain, I have an RC Booster (with a spark mini boost also at the end to act as a pure volume boost when needed).
    I personally think you may enjoy similar results with the EP after fuzz face; the klone would be better suited to booster duty at the end of the chain, IMO. But as pointed out above, try it both ways.

5. GearHund

GearHund Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Not directly on point, but when you use a booster pedal, do you turn your amp down to compensate for the increase in volume? I'm not sure how a booster should work. If it boosts the signal at a certain amp volume, meaning increased volume I think, wouldn't you then have to turn the amp down to get it back to the previous volume?

6. Muzik4Machines

i have a non master volume amp, i drive it around 80% (just a nice crunch) then i hit the boost at the max to get sweet overdrive

7. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

With longer cable runs or many pedals in line I like to keep boost set to unity and use it to prevent signal loss. Sometimes I'll use another in front of drive pedals to boost gain or after to boost volume.

8. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Lately, for my cleaner tones, I too have been running my EP-Booster this way; to prevent it from overdriving the input while still letting it do its magic.

For this setup I keep things very simple:

Clean guitar>Compressor>Booster>Amp

...or, more specifically...

2003 Fender '52 AVRI Telecaster > DOD FX-84 Milkbox compressor > Xotic EP-Booster > Mesa Boogie TA-15 TransAtlantic

But for grittier stuff I'll crank the EP until I get enough gain to melt your freak'n face!

I don't mean that literally of course, after all I'm not a monster...:twisted:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.