Alvin Lee

flathd

Poster Extraordinaire
I worked at a drive-in theater the summer that the movie "Woodstock" came out, so I probably saw the "Going Home" performance about 50 times, and never got tired of seeing it.
In fact, I would nominate it as one of the most "air guitared" songs in Rock n' Roll history.

Vocalion

Tele-Meister
I struggled for years wading through Ten Years After's very uneven albums until I found this gem. It's a lot more jazzy than you'd expect and without the expected flash. The real star of the show turns out to be Chick Churchill on organ. I suppose that the version of Woody Herman's Woodchopper's Ball would be tune most would have heard from this set. I never get tired of hearing it.

4 Cat Slim

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm glad I had the chance to see him in Houston in the late 1970's when he was touring as Alvin Lee
and Ten Years Later. I enjoyed his playing, as I was too young to have seen him
at Woodstock.

Swirling Snow

Tele-Holic
Alvin Lee is an indictment of our culture.

I much prefer Peter Green, if the subject is, "Guitar players from the late Sixties no one but other guitar players remember." Or Mike Bloomfield.

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
"Mindless nonsense" is the kind of comment that tells you way more about the speaker than the subject of the insult. At the time, Alvin Lee was famous for being the fastest player around. He's one of the players who brought the "blizzard of notes" approach into the lexicon of guitar playing and music in general -- others played fast passages, but nothing like Lee's unrelenting, sustained speed -- and that seems to have caught on, big time. No one needs to like, dislike, or even cate about his playing, but to dismiss it as "utter nonsense" is just a different way of saying "I am a condescending, self-satisfied prig."

Nubs

Friend of Leo's
My man Alvin! Love TYA and his solo stuff! I will completely admit his playing can be sloppy at time with missed notes, but the soul & feel are there!

pippoman

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I was impressed in 1969.... not so much now
Just got back from visiting my sister in NC. I brought my Tele along to do a little woodshedding and she had Alexa play “Going Home” and I’d forgotten how repetitive it was, but it was stupidly fast! I started playing along with the track and realized he was doing a lot of pull offs among other things. It’s not above my pay grade now, but at the time it was impossible for me to even think about playing.

While growing up in Montgomery, Alabama, my sister and I attended a lot of concerts - some local groups and a lot of headliners. We saw Jimmy Page on his last American tour with the yardbirds, Nugent, Yes, Cactus and other hard hitters of the day. I used to see a local group that Tommy Shaw (Stix, Damn Yankees) was in and marveled that he could nail Grand Funk’s “Inside Looking Out” in the early 70s.? Anyway, a few years later I could play it in my sleep, but I had no clue what hammer-ons and pull offs were, so I marveled. Got the chance to jam with him once, but all I did was shut up, watch, and learn. That boy could play even then!

Point: I don’t laugh at stuff those guys were doing back then even if it seems senseless, mindless and easy now. They were paying the way for many artists to come. Inventors.

LocoTex

Tele-Afflicted
I like alot of Mr. Lee's playing, he was loud in concert , very very loud , I was extremely sad at the way he went during a routine operation., Saying he only had one hit is incorrect he had several fine albums , like Cricklewwod Green , SHHH, etc. yes he was sloppy at woodstock but he put on a show that was up front and center. At the time was right inplace. Clapton was equally sloppy while doing the wheels of fire concert live missing his cue on cross roads, still oustanding recording , or hendrix singing the wrong verses live , no one cared , it was too magical for the moment .
either you liked Alvin Lee, Eric Clapton , or Hendrix I certainly am glad they did what they did , made growing up inspirational .

and yet I have not seen one member here surpass what these guys did , so I can only conclude that its a matter of taste.
I have to second what you said about him being LOUD. Saw Ten Years After twice in the early seventies and that was the beginning of my tinnitus.

HaWE

Tele-Holic
I saw Ten Years Afters twice - first time was with all the original members including Alvin Lee, second time maybe about 10 years ago with a new guitar player. I must say that the concert of TYA with Alvin Lee was a great show, they played all their well known songs with a lot of energy and power.
The second time I saw them with a new guitar player.The new guitar player ( with a Les Paul) seemed to play even faster than Alvin Lee, but for me there was something missing and his solos became boring after some time.But Ric Lee played a great drum solo.

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
His woodstock performance is fantastic. I saw him once in the early 80's. It was fun but he didn't have the Woodstock intensity. I think he might have been playing more swingy stuff shortly before he passed.

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
Saw them first at the Olympic auditorium in LA, around 69 and at a multi billed show. TYA, BB KING & Mott the Hoople at the Aragon Ball room in Chicago. Woodchoppers ball is my favorite of theirs. SO I knew who he was when Woodstock was released. He stole the show!