Alvin Lee

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Afflicted
I'm not an Alvin Lee fan, never really thought about him. I only knew that one big hit that they had, and didn't really even like it. But this video popped up in my feed. It's not the most articulate playing, but it's fun to watch because he's obviously enjoying himself and he is taking risks on the fretboard without a care in the world, even if it doesn't come out quite clearly sometimes.

Back in the '80s I was reading either Guitar Player or Guitar World magazine, and they're interviewing two musicians in a band that was famous at the time. They criticized Alvin Lee's playing as "mindless nonsense". Watching this video, I can't completely disagree. But then it dawned on me that I didn't know who those two guys were, I still don't know who they were. I couldn't tell you their names, but I know who Alvin Lee is. There's something to be said for that.

(UPDATE: I watched the Woodstock footage of Ten Years After. I would not call that "mindless nonsense" - it's all over the place but it's on fire.

Churchjack

Tele-Holic
I'm not an Alvin Lee fan, never really thought about him. I only knew that one big hit that they had, and didn't really even like it. But this video popped up in my feed. It's not the most articulate playing, but it's fun to watch because he's obviously enjoying himself and he is taking risks on the fretboard without a care in the world, even if it doesn't come out quite clearly sometimes.

Back in the '80s I was reading either Guitar Player or Guitar World magazine, and they're interviewing two musicians in a band that was famous at the time. They criticized Alvin Lee's playing as "mindless nonsense". Watching this video, I can't completely disagree. But then it dawned on me that I didn't know who those two guys were, I still don't know who they were. I couldn't tell you their names, but I know who Alvin Lee is. There's something to be said for that.

(UPDATE: I watched the Woodstock footage of Ten Years After. I would not call that "mindless nonsense" - it's all over the place but it's on fire.

I’m so glad you caught that Woodstock vid! They captured a great set.

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I like alot of Mr. Lee's playing, he was loud in concert , very very loud , I was extremely sad at the way he went during a routine operation., Saying he only had one hit is incorrect he had several fine albums , like Cricklewwod Green , SHHH, etc. yes he was sloppy at woodstock but he put on a show that was up front and center. At the time was right inplace. Clapton was equally sloppy while doing the wheels of fire concert live missing his cue on cross roads, still oustanding recording , or hendrix singing the wrong verses live , no one cared , it was too magical for the moment .
either you liked Alvin Lee, Eric Clapton , or Hendrix I certainly am glad they did what they did , made growing up inspirational .

and yet I have not seen one member here surpass what these guys did , so I can only conclude that its a matter of taste.

Last edited:

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Do you think he would have earned more notoriety if Dave Seville was a better manager?
intersting thought ,

I know or read that Alvin took to going to spain to study flameco, Towards the end ,but from what I can gather flamenco is a life style not a process , I dont know how far he got on the studies. I was looking forward to hear what he had learned from it

Tarkus60

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I saw him in the early 80's I was impressed. Live he is good, his records not so much.

Lynxtrap

Tele-Afflicted
His playing was very lick-centered, meaning that if you've heard a couple of his solos you have pretty much heard them all.
I'm saying that as a fan.
"I'm Going Home" at Woodstock is one of the most iconic moments in rock guitar history.

OlRedNeckHippy

Poster Extraordinaire
He sure had a really cool guitar.
Every time someone mentions "stickers on a guitar", I think of him.
He was one of my early influences & heroes, and yes, he put on one-hell-of-a-show.
1024px-Alvin_Lee.jpg