Aluminum Based Guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by mjstamos, Jan 10, 2020.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

There have been folks warning us for years about the hazards of aluminum containers. They point to the proliferation of some diseases like Alzheimers and ADHD, linking with the use of aluminum food cans and containers and soft drink cans. Back in the 40's, 50's and 60's our foods were sold mainly in glass and steel containers.....then along came aluminum, and the alleged connections to our health. Who knows the truth?

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

What I like about Aluminum for guitars is the quiet effect it has on single coil pickups, it will either greatly reduce the noise or eliminate it completely.
    Also the aluminum nut/bridge pieces on many Lap Steel/slide guitars gives them a mellow tone that is beautiful.
    I have 3 aluminum turntable platters for future Reso-Cone guitar builds.

mjstamos likes this.
  3. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

All these supposed ailments from aluminum containers or guitars etc etc is BS! What about people that get those ailments that weren't exposed to aluminum containers and such?
    I'd worry more about the chemicals and sodium levels in your food/drink and meds before worrying about touching aluminum.:lol:

mjstamos likes this.
  4. mjstamos

mjstamos TDPRI Member

So true this is a cool perspective! The quiet effect makes these ideal for clean tones! Which kind of makes them great pedal platform guitars.

Zepfan likes this.
  5. mjstamos

mjstamos TDPRI Member

Bolt on aluminum neck photo comparison from left to right! Alef Guitars, Electrical Guitar Company and Robot Graves. Solid aluminum necks with Stainless Frets fender heels.
    [​IMG]

6. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

The comments about tonal characteristics are helpful, because my take on aluminum guitars has always been the simple and honest "why?" Wood and similar materials are cheap and easy to fabricate and modify, and for better or worse have defined the tones we think of as "good guitar tone," so I could never figure out why a builder would move into a material that is difficult to work and impossible to modify. Now I'm curious, but the other great disadvantage of metal guitars will undoubtedly stop me dead in my tracks: there are none of them around to demo. Little choice, no opportunity to try... forget it.

mjstamos likes this.
  7. mjstamos

mjstamos TDPRI Member

Yes they are hard to try that is one of the things that is slowly changing. Aluminum is getting easier and less expensive to work on with newer CNC technology not to mention the possibilities of Anodizing. Check this graphic from Magico they make speakers with Aluminum enclosures and have study how different materials react to sound. Notice how consistent and "clean" aluminum is... see the high frequency "chime" that's how it sounds!

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.