Alternatives to Fralin Blues Special?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Ignatius, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Can anyone recommend a cheaper equivalent to a Fralin Blues Special? Had one of those years ago and loved it. Can't seem to find any good deals on a used one.

Seems like there are a ton of winders out there these days. There's gotta be something awfully close to the BS that's a little cheaper, no? Maybe no, but I figured I'd ask :)

I currently have an Area Hot T. Used it for years in a cover band situation that I'm no longer doing, and it's hotter and a little heavier in the mids than I'd prefer. Yes, I've adjusted the height and yes, I use my volume and tone knobs (ha). Looking for something with a voice that's less in-your-face.

2. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Check in with Rob Distefano/Cavalier pickups. He's a vendor member and active in this forum. Our fellow forum members rave about his pick ups. Shoot him an email and tell him what you're looking for. Very reasonable prices and great tone.

http://www.frettech.com/

3. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

For strat or tele? I had the blues specials in my clapton strat many years ago. Then I tried Texas Specials at the same time period. I could hear absolutely no difference so I sold the Fralins as they were new and bigger money back then.

Greggorios likes this.
  4. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I have Blues Specials in my current tele. Years ago I had a tele I put Cavaliers into, the Nashville Lion bridge and Lioness neck. I liked them just as much as the Fralins and they're priced better. If I was in the market for new pups, I'd go Cavaliers. They're not "better" than the Fralins. The Fralins are EXCELLENT. But so are the Cavaliers and they're cheaper. I've had a Fat Lion too, another great pickup.

Ignatius and Greggorios like this.
  5. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Thanks man, very helpful. I remember you from Z-Talk! :D

bigben55 likes this.
  6. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Still there too!

7. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

Blues special is a hotter and fatter bridge pickup

Id check out the Jerry Donahue

I like dimarzio Areas. But they dont sound as much like tele pickups, more stratty to me. Blues special and JD give you more lower mids but are still fundamentally tele. The neck pup might be harder to find an alternative for. Its unashamedly stratty.

Theres cavalier pickups. Something like their Wolf neck pickup might do

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.