Alternatives to DRRI?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ReggiedaDog, Jul 24, 2019.

1. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

I have a Swart AST head. It has some very nice sounds but, to me at least, it doesn't have quite enough clean headroom to play in a band situation. I didn't buy the Swart speaker cabinet to pair with it. Perhaps I should have? I have often wondered if a cabinet with an efficient speaker might be the solution. I do have a DRRI which is what I mostly use. It has the headroom and strong bottom end to fill my needs, but of course I use pedals with it.

2. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

I also own a Rebel 30 head/cab. When it is working it has some pretty good sounds. The clean channel is my favorite. It has enough headroom for a band situation and you can get some light break-up too. I didn't bond as well with the drive channel, but I have found that to be the case with every amp, though I will say that the Rebel's drive channel was more acceptable than most other amps. My biggest issue with the Egnater has been reliability. I have had mine in the shop three times, and I went for a long time (5 years?) without using it. I opened mine up for inspection and they look like they are not fun to work on and this thought was corroborated by my amp tech. I had it in the shop about a 1 1/2 years ago and it has been fine since. It's over at my son-in-law's and he uses it when we jam.

3. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

So I went looking at used amps today. Very nearly pulled the trigger on a Lonestar but it was expensive. The gearbox has gone on my car so my budget has been hit, so In the end I found a Rivera era Deluxe Reverb II for half the price of the lonestar. I might regret that but no car=no gigs= no money for gear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luthier Vandros likes this.
  4. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My AST can hang with any DRRI easily. And if I run an overdrive( Mythical Overdrive ) it's more than enough. Now I must admit that I'm not looking for big cleans, I want it to break up! I love the way my AST gets that creamy dirt scream when I turn up to 6 and let the tele rip!! Your needs are different than mine. Maybe try a Swart cab or even an AST if you can bring one home for a try with your rig. Just a thought....

RJ

sonicsmitty likes this.
  5. strat56

strat56 Tele-Holic

Rivera era Fender's are very good amps. I think you'll be very happy with it.

6. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

I'd vote Vibrolux or Vox AC15C1 or C2. The Vox can coax a decent Fender sound on the normal channel and you have the other channel for the Vox sound. That said, the Vibrolux is going to give you more headroom.

7. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

Had a good go on this Deluxe Reverb II today and love it, quite possible the best overdrive Ive ever heard on a Fender amp, in fact I would say the drive channel is possible the best to the two!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

This was exactly my predicament. I wanted a great clean channel, a dirty channel and tube reverb. My aim was to minimize pedal use.
    I found this versatility with a Tone King. I initially thought the Imperial MKII would be the ticket but opted for a bit more power in case I needed it and went with the Sky King. Added bonus of a tremelo. For now probably the only pedal I'll use is a delay for some mild slapback. Maybe add a compressor. With the dual ironmans the amp is very versatile.
    The budget is almost 3 times a DRRI.

9. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Holic

Buddy of mine just got a Princeton Reverb with the 12" Cannibis Rex speaker. A very nice unit in my opinion.

10. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

20-30 watts eh?

Not sure if anyone has mentioned, but Carr do a version of the deluxe reverb for a fair amount but not stupid prices.

Alternatively, you could look at the Ceriatone OTS 20.

If I could only stay within the 20-30 Watt range, the Mesa Boogie Fillmore 25 would tick all of my boxes.

11. teleman78

teleman78 Tele-Holic

Tweed Deluxe 5E3, best circuit Leo ever made IMO, with the right speaker you can get some of the best cleans you can get, no need for reverb with this guy.

12. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I love my DRRI.

If you want 20 watts, the potential for Fender-ish cleans and a good gain channel then try a Blackstar HT 20 Studio.

Gig rig. Blackstar HT 20 Studio’s are dandy.

[​IMG]

Chunkocaster and Luthier Vandros like this.
  13. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

There’s nothing wrong with the Hot Rod Deluxe.

The latest version (version IV) refines it.

- lighter weight (40lbs, lighter than a Deluxe Reverb)

- great speaker

- more useable Volume knob taper

- excellent MV. Drive channel is fuller and less shrill than prior iterations

- better Reverb (to my ear anyway).

If you used them before, you owe
    it to yourself to try the new one.

Great amp as well as great value. I’ll never sell mine.

Because of the improved drive channel, I’ve used it to great result in tiny clubs and on outdoor stages with no need to be mic’d.

14. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

+1 for the Black Magick
    25 watts of rock :cool:

15. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

If you’ve got a big budget I’d try a Bad Cat. My friend has a black cat 30. Awesome amp. It’s one channel, but there’s a separate master and volume control. So you can dial in Fender like cleans, overdrive, and really crunchy distortion. I’d get a used one if I had $1,500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

+1 - I have a Superchamp. 30lb, tube reverb, BF Fender cleans, couple tweaks to the circuit and Alessandro speaker it's become my go-to amp for rehearsals and small gigs. If I saw a DRII I'd be into it.

17. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

Tempted by the fruit of another...

So I was really enjoying my Deluxe Reverb II whilst playing quietly at home, but then I took it to rehearsal- and I was really disappointed in the lead channel- once I turned it up and put a few pedals in front of it (mainly a compressor (CS3) and an Archer it had a very bright tone that was to my ears quite unpleasant and almost impossible to dial out without it turning to mud...

To make matters worse, the band in the next room in our rehearsal studio had a great tone, but he is saving for something new and expensive and has offered me his Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special for a very good price.... I had a play through it and really liked it.... this may be the shortest honeymoon ever.

18. RickLafayette

RickLafayette TDPRI Member

This.

19. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

As already mentioned in this thread - 68 Custom Vibrolux. Holds together a little better than a DRRI, fantastic cleans. I've owned and gigged with multiple Dr. Zs, Morgan, Fuchs, Boogie and the 68 CVR sounds great to me. Yes, they are more difficult to service than a hand wired amp but I think the reliability issues are overhyped (like so many things on the internet). There are LOADS of PCB Fender amps in the wild getting hammered on every weekend. Some fail. The vast majority do not.

20. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic

I love my Tone King Sky King. Rhythm channel is BF, Lead channel is Tweed -- each has a separate attenuator, so either channel can be dirty or clean at any volume.

ReggiedaDog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.