1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Alternatives to a Gibson 335

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by MiloCroton, Feb 8, 2012.

1. romo

romo Tele-Meister

No doubt. But Tokai's aren't exactly cheap, are they? For the asking prices I have seen for these things I would stick to my previous statement and say I'd rather spend a little more and buy a used Gibson.

I also never meant to imply that any of those guitars are "bad" instruments. I was just saying that if I was the OP, and was looking for a guitar to be my co-number 1 for life, I would not consider budget type guitars, but rather something I will be happy with all the way from the finish and the feel to the name on the headstock.

Now, I do live in the USA, where the higher end American guitars are relatively abundant and easy to find both new and used. I may take a different approach if I lived somewhere else in the world.

2. BallParkFrank

BallParkFrank TDPRI Member

These - easy enough to find in the UK:

[​IMG]

3. Lee Harvey

Lee Harvey Banned

A Gretsch is nothing like a 335..

A 335 is a semi hollow.

A Gretsch is full hollow..

Big big difference...

4. Stratelcaster

Stratelcaster Tele-Meister

I would put a vote in for the Schecter C-S/H or C-A/E. I really dig the Strat or Tele shaped guitars with the ES335 build style. Has anyone on this forum built a Tele335 guitar? I had a 90's era Epi Dot Deluxe, and I would have to repeat as others have that those Epi 335 clones are entirely better than a current dots. IMHO every Epi Dot Studio sitting in a pawn shop or music store should be smashed; they feel sooooo cheap. I'm not one to hate the asian guitar market; the quality has been getting surprisingly good. It really does force the American companies to up their game. If i could feel comfortable with a ES335 style guitar i'd have no hesitation in purchasing Carvin's FG1.

5. willspear

willspear Tele-Holic

Eastman makes a couple thin line double cutaways one is available in 14-15-16 bouts very small tone block so it is much closer to a 330. They are carved and finished very similar to a violin. Ebony fingerboards, kent Armstrong pickups and bound. Very jazzy feeling. I own the tI86. Solid wood no laminates used

They just released a guitar with similar specs but a large block so actually closer to a 335. I am not sure but I'd assume the body is made with laminated wood. Price tag is in 700 range

Eastmans are Chinese instruments but my experience owning several is that they compare favorably in many cases with instruments double to triple in price.

They are not l5-ces or Benedetto quality for 1/10 the price. They are however tremendous playing guitars for a person concerned with tone.

6. oldmark

oldmark Tele-Holic

I have 2 Epiphone Dots...one is a 2002, black, made in Korea, completely factory stock.The other is a 2010, made in China. It has a repaired neck break,is "natural" finish, and has Gibson 490 Humbuckers in it...

The older Korean Dot has a mahogany neck rosewood board, the Chinese version has a maple neck, rosewood board. They are just different enough that having both is worthwhile, and neither was more than $200 with hard case. Both guitars came standard with Grover tuners and are great players. The stock Epi humbuckers are actually really good for blues and jazzy type playing, and I have no plans to change them. The Gibson 490's are the same ones that Are in my Les Paul Special, and they are great rock & roll pickups, but can be dialed back for blues, too...they are just a little hotter and sound a lot like to old PAF's...but hotter.

I have played an older (60's) 335, and it is a better guitar, but I don't think it's $3000 better than my Dots. I think the Chinese and Korean Dots are different, too, but I don't think one is much better than the other, and I believe the Dots are one of the best bargains around, new or used.

mark

7. oldmark

oldmark Tele-Holic

S101 was made by a subsidiary of Samick...they are great guitars, and very very underrated and underpriced...I had a Les Paul copy S101 that kicked ass, and gave it to someone...who loves it!

mark

8. jwj4856

jwj4856 Tele-Holic

Washburn HB 35 and change to a set of Gibson classic 57 pickups, sounds great, looks good and plays really good.

9. peatea

peatea TDPRI Member

Fender made semi-hollow body called a Starcaster in the 70's.
    I played one and it was a fantastic guitar.

Attached Files:

10. J Hog

J Hog Tele-Holic

I'd like to find one of those.

11. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

I've been extremely happy with my Epi Sheraton II since I bought it new on Labor Day. I had played them in the past and didn't really care for them, but I have noticed a difference since they moved production to China. Sounds great. I also played an Epi 339 today, and I was equally impressed. Epi has a 1962 Sheraton RI out this year too. Haven't seen it in stores, but they have it at AMS.

12. Teledelphia

Teledelphia Tele-Holic

The new '62 Reissue Epi Sheraton would seem to fit the bill. Comes with Gibson USA mini-humbuckers and vintage accurate Frequensator tailpiece. Besides the pu's, all other electronics are top notch (CTS pots, Switchcraft switches, Beldon wiring) plus a beautiful vintage style grey hardshell case w/ blue plush lining.

13. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I really like the looks and price of that new Gibson midtown

14. MojoMonster

MojoMonster Tele-Meister

Just an FYI, if anyone is looking for a blue (Pelham?) Midtown with P90's, call the Sam Ash in Raleigh.
    Markdown was to $700/800?
    Didn't play it, but it looked in great condition.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  15. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

I just bought a new Gretsch 5422 with a bigsby and the new blacktop trons. So far I'm very pleased as I got the dealer to knock off an extra 15% to match online deals. Alot of gtr for the money but tonewise it's alot different than the 335.

16. android

android TDPRI Member

Heritage 535

17. Codger

Codger Tele-Meister

I have a Dot Studio that I did some mods to and swapped pickups. Really like it.

Also have an Agile AS-820 with GFS Dream 90's. Really like that.

18. fenderfan

fenderfan Tele-Afflicted

Extremely impressed with the Hohner SE Professional, in cherry red. I had a new Gibson ES335 back in my college band days (69-72) and I've always wanted to have something like that again in my small group of guitars, and was knocked out by the Hohner.

19. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

+1 Great deals to be had on used ones. Hand built in the old Gibbie factory on the old Gibbie tools by the old Gibbie workers. Kalamazoo goodness IMHO.

20. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

I think I posted here before but thought I'd chime in with another 2c's worth having just spent some time this lunchtime with a gorgeous Gibson 335.

To put it simply - there is nothing that is an alternative!!

This guitar was fantastic in every way. Plain gloss cherry red finish. No fret buzz, played and sounded fantastic.

Out of curiosity I picked up an Epiphone Dot which was alongside it. Sadly the Epi didn't hold a candle to the Gibby - and trust me, I would have loved it to have sounded every bit as good. I can handle minor issues with any guitar as I can usually sort these out myself when I set a guitar up to the way I like it.

But the Gibby was perfect in every way. The Epi was a cheap copy by comparison - as is reasonable given the serious price difference between the two.

So the answer is, if you want a 335 that is everything you want it to be, get a Gibby. If you want something else (or accept that your pocket isn't deep enough to afford a Gibson) then buy something you can afford and strive to safe enough for the real thing at some stage in the future.

Not meaning this post to be negative about any other brands (I will still enjoy playing my Samick 335 copy until I get the real deal) Just thought I'd comment after falling under the Gibby spell today!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.