1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Alternatives to a Gibson 335

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by MiloCroton, Feb 8, 2012.

1. toddfan

toddfan Tele-Holic

If you can stand the Hanson name, try this:

[​IMG]

2. akukulich

akukulich Tele-Meister

+1 on the Yamaha SA2200. Great guitar. Ibanez made some great semi-hollow guitars back in the 80s that are cool too. I think they were the AM-50, AM-100, AM-200 and AM-205. I don't recall the differences between the models anymore, or if even those model numbers are exactly correct, but they'll get you in the neighborhood.

3. Suho

Suho Tele-Meister

Framus also has a couple of models that fit this bill, and they are all sweet instruments. The Mayfield comes to mind as one.

4. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

That would be unhealthy love in my case - my playing is not worthy and I'm trying to get toward less spent on guitars. Maybe it would work if it were my only.

My local Collings dealer has those and others a few times. Best description would be Gibson vibe with build quality that met or exceeded my PRS Hollow Body. A few of the Collings electrics they had were absolute beauty and perfection.

5. babalooga

babalooga Tele-Holic

Take a look at a Schecter Corsair. Top shelf all the way.

6. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

And nothing less than a killer guitar.

[​IMG]

And here's another
    [​IMG]

7. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Another vote for the Yamaha SAs... I stupidly traded away a '71 335 I had and I won't make that mistake with my very sweet Yammy SA2100... I hope.

8. HardlyDangerous

HardlyDangerous Tele-Holic

Xaviere XV-910
    $309

[​IMG]

Xaviere XV-900
    $299

[​IMG]

9. romo

romo Tele-Meister

Has anyone mentioned a Guild Starfire? Based on what the OP has described he wants, this would be the top of my list. They are not exactly inexpensive, but IMO I would never consider any of the cheap Asian made guitars mentioned in this thread if I was looking to buy a "lifer."

And FWIW, I just bought an '83 Gibson 335 Dot reissue for not much more than the price quoted for that Japanese Epiphone 335. If you want a Gibson 335, then buy one of those. There are lots of good deals on less than common Gibsons if you are patient.

Attached Files:

10. MiloCroton

MiloCroton Tele-Holic

Thanks for the post, the guild starfire seems to check all my superficial boxes. Nice shape headstock, square inlays (prefer these to dots). A shape very similar to a 335.

Definitely a great option for a lifer. But some of these cheap guitars have also sparked my interest, the guitarfetish Xavier guitars look good to me. The downfalls of cheap guitars always seems to be pickups & electronics. But they are fitted with the same GF parts that people regularly put into expensive guitars as upgrades.

Ive learn from the errors of my past big purchases, that there is nothing wrong with buying cheap stuff if it is nice and puts a smile on your face. Playing a cheapy will give me more of a bearing to judge a later purchase on if I even need to upgrade. I may learn to love the cheapy.

The S101 guitars look nice too but neither would be convenient to get into the UK.

11. bluemood

bluemood TDPRI Member

12. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Original Fender Starcaster with WRHBs. Good luck finding a cheap/original though as every indie band worth their salt seems to have snapped them up in recent years.
    [​IMG]

13. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The Sheraton works well as a 335 stand-in. Pickups are quite good.

sheraton.jpg

14. romo

romo Tele-Meister

Well, everybody's experience is different. What I have learned from my past purchases is that I have spent a TON of money cheap stuff, only to wish I had saved up for what I really wanted in the first place. In the end, going with the cheap alternative always costs me more money.

The downfall of the cheap guitars, for me, is always the finish and the feel. I couldn't care less about the electronics since they are inexpensive and easy to upgrade. Finish on the other hand, is difficult and costly to change. The thick plastic finish on the budget things leaves me disappointed every time. You can load a set of Lollars into a GFS guitar and it is still gonna feel like it is covered in plastic.

15. bendecaster

bendecaster Friend of Leo's

I respect eveyone's opinions about what they would not own as a life-long instrment, but the SX EG5 I bought for less than $200 is a killer! I've been playing it so much since I've bought it. Indeed, it needed a nut, tuners and some TLC to set it up, but it is just beautiful and sounds like a million bucks!

16. TxTeleMan

TxTeleMan Tele-Afflicted

This.

The neck on my PRS is a dream; I play better when I play my PRS.

17. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

That's almost killing my search for others. I took it with to try others again yesterday.

All the Gibson ES stock had a thin neck and I was shocked by the Gibson quality. One 335 had a spot where the finish was not even polished by head stock, you could see file and tool marks on some, poor masking. Finish is not everything (I liked my Highway One) but you'd think $3000+ guitars would be better. Some Les Pauls at same GC store were finished better.

The knock against my PRS HB is that tone is a little more brash or bright than some ES models but 335s seem more than way than 135, 137 and 175.

To you comments it seems like PRS has tweaked or polished good design elements and I know most love classic Fender and Gibson tones. My guess is the PRS hating I sometimes hear is a reaction to their own tone flavors and tweaks to earlier traditions.

On that PRS neck.... I've been working at getting out of pentatonic and I, IV, V jail. I can move through chord progressions with maj 7, min 7 flat 5, and others with ease and accuracy I can't match on my other guitars and many I've tried, and mix slides and stuff in there. I'm wanting a fat jazz guitar but so far just can't give up the one that makes playing easier!

:)

18. Wileyone

Wileyone Tele-Holic

"Cheap Asian made guitars mentioned in this thread" Japan is part of Asia isn't it? I have an 82 Tokai which is just a terrific Guitar.

[​IMG]

19. jebbo

jebbo Tele-Holic

The best alternative IMHO is an Epiphone Dot. Put some better hardware, and upgrade the electronics a little bit and you have yourself a fine guitar. Don't get me wrong the stock epi dot is great, but you have to upgrade it if you're comparing it to a gibson 335. I've even played a washburn that was comparable to the 335. I forgot wich model it was, but they don't make them anymore. Just find a epi dot on Cl or ebay, and upgrade it a little bit, or buy one that already has been upgraded. Lots of people put new pickups, and add a bigsby to those things then they sell them for a decent price. (Better price than a real 335 anyway.)

20. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

Epiphone Super Nova Union Jack!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.