1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Alternative to a Fender Blues Jr.?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by arossignol82, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Little Ricky

Little Ricky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

+1. DA-5 on Fender #3 with a little delay is VERY nice. Great fun amp.

2. crowenor

crowenor Tele-Meister

I just bought a 1980 Peavey Classic 50 2/12 off of eBay for $117.50. It has 2 6L6 tubes for power a good clean sound and a little dirt. More than enough volume for club work, I like it a lot.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  3. locust13

locust13 TDPRI Member

Hey

Well if looks matter, how about the Peavey Delta Blues? It seems to be enjoyed by those who own them. I'm hoping to get one, but first getting a Fender Champion 600, which also has an old vibe and wonderful sound at bedroom levels. Plus it can be mated to a bigger cabinet and is cheap. Those might not be the end all/be all of amps, but have a vintage vibe and good sounds-both of which inspire me to play.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  4. electrablue

electrablue Poster Extraordinaire

Ditto

5. stevehuff69

stevehuff69 Tele-Meister

SCXD SCXD SCXD

Under $300 and beats the (stock) BJ hands down. I have a PRRI, SCXD and had a BJr. The SCXD is 90-95% of the tone of the PRRI and then some (other voicings) - great little amp, NO, best amp for the money ($279)

6. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Isn't the Classic 30 an EL-84 amp? If it is, the original poster stated he wanted to get away from that type of amp...

7. Billm

Billm RIP

Yes, and he said so two years ago. Nothing like dredging up an old thread!

Meanwhile, if you like 6V6 tone and Blues Junior size/features, it's not that hard to convert it to 6V6 output tubes. I've done a couple, and you do get that rounder, less glassy sound.

8. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

I know you said you were looking for a tube amp, but don't overlook the Vox Pathfinder 15R. I just recently got one and it kills my Blues Jr. I have been able to get a great sound out of the newer BJrs, but mine was made in '97 and needs some mods to get it where it needs to be. I'm on the waiting list for BillM's mods so we'll see which amp prevails.

I love a lot of things about my Pathfinder. Its got reverb that's good, but its no Fender Reverb, the tremelo is fantastic, and I just plug in and go. The other great thing about the amp is that it has an ext. speaker jack, line out, headphones jack, and has footswitchable boost & tremelo. Its a pretty amazing amp and would be a great tool when you're teaching. It comes stock with an 8" speaker, which had to grow on me and sounds better and better the more it breaks in. A lot of times I run it though my BJr cab it sounds awesome, but I think this amp is a perfect match for a 10" speaker which I will be installing, possibly today. Oh, I almost forgot. This thing is LOUD!

I got mine from a guy who got it in a trade, new in box, so it was new when I got it. Also came with a footswitch for $110 shipped. A steal, but they sell new for $120. As they say on Harmony Central, if it were ever stolen, I would definitely buy another.

Good luck

9. PeteG45

PeteG45 Tele-Meister

The Peavey ValveKing 112 has a nice clean channel that gets even nicer with a 12AT7 in the V3 position. It uses 6L6GC tubes so it does get away from the EL-84s. I've heard that it really opens up with Tung-Sol KT66 tubes in place of the 6L6GC tubes.

10. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

+1 to what Billm said.

IMHO, the Blues Junior sounds fine right out of the box. Plus, mine is still under warranty, so I'd rather not mess with it. ;-)

On the other hand, I can only imagine how a re-tube and a few mods would sound...

11. rossfloss

rossfloss TDPRI Member

While I'll admit, for the money it's a pretty decent deal. I enjoyed it for at home practicing but while gigging it has some issues:

- Stock speaker farts out on the bass when you have the volume up
    - The stock tubes are crummy. Note: The one preamp tube in the Super Champ is for the phase inverter only. The "tone and gain stage" of the preamp is solid state.
    - voicing section and effects are just plain not good especially if you have any decent pedals
    - Lacks any shimmering or chimey highs. Has kind of a muffled sound which becomes really noticeable when played next to a blues Jr. or basically any other Fender tube combo.
    - Not enough volume and power for gigging!!! My blues Jr. is also 15 watts and it easily gets twice as loud.

12. phillip lee

phillip lee TDPRI Member

What Ross said.

13. DOGMA Dunn

DOGMA Dunn Friend of Leo's

Crate Palamio v16 is a great amp with master volume that really gives overdrive, or v30 if you need more power. Also Epiphone makes some great sounding amps similar to the fender hotrod series amps. Or if you can hold out and save more money, for the $750 range. For a few hundred more you will get a heck of a lot more amp as far as sound/tone goes. Were talking 6v6, el34, or 6l6 type amps and used clone amps of famous designs. Or if you don't like dialing in your amp and guitar for tone, there are some easy to use modeling amps for cheap. I would avoid the Carvin v16, as it does not do much for me, similar to a el84 blues jr. and will require mods and biasing to get a decent tone. Plus it eats up el84 tubes pretty quick if you play at high volumes, after a while the bass and sparkle is gone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.