[alternate WIRING - MOD] presentation, stereo/TRS wiring for my tele-babes and some other technical talks :)

tomboudiboudi

NEW MEMBER!
Hi guys šŸ˜Ž

This post is gonna be half technical talking, and half presentation post as I realised I still haven't do so since the time I signed-in back in the days...

For the technical part, I'm about to re-think my two Telecaster's wiring schemes to stereo wiring : main idea is to have both pickups wired in parallel, one volume pot for each (by getting rid of tone pot), stereo signal going out (TRS cable), then through a splitter box (2*TS cable out) and finally feeding 2 inputs of my audio-interface. 3-way switch could have 1st position for neck pu alone, 2nd for both pu in parallel and 3rd for bridge alone.

The main idea is to have each pu signal going to 2 differents tracks in my daw, and record both DI at the same time. For exemple, I could have one running through a reamp box in my cranked silverface Bassman (with attenuator), and the other one through my effects chain and/or amp simulation, all at the same time, to get a wider/beefier/more complex tone out of my Teles.

I thought about a DIY splitter box (2*TS cable out) that feeds 2 inputs of my audio-interface. I'm still hesitating to make footswitchable (as I could engage/shut-off one pu track by foot, instead of using 3-way switch) and volume adjustable for each pu. I know that doing this is duplicating the 3-way switch/dual-volume pots wiring, but maybe it could be convenient to have it footswitchable. Maybe it could be nice to make it double-buffered too. I'm better at soldering things than drawing electrical schemes, so I need to discuss about this DIY splitter/switcher project with someone qualified, but maybe its to much for this thread ?

And for presentation stuff, my name is Tom, I'm a young architect actually working in Limoges (France), the town I grew in. Music is my other main dedication aside architecture. Playing guitar since the age of ten, I learn classical guitare first, then Jazz manouche. I started to learn electric guitar by my own while being in high-school, mainly blues stuffs. Then I had a power-pop/garage-punk band for fun with old friends between 2014 and 2018 ().
In 2019, I had an accident (bicycle vs car, guess what... car won. Didn't I said I was riding the bike?) ending up with a really bad left-elbow open-fracture. I totally loosed pinky-sensitivity and partial 4th finger sensitivity. Being right-handed I had to adapt my way of playing, my pinky being totally unable to fret any string : I moved-on open-tunings, and suddenly discover amazing chords I was unable to play (and even unable to think of) all these years being stucked in standard tuning. By using spyder-capos, I figured out I could expend open-tunings capabilities to a whole new level. I'm actually learning synth and daw stuffs, trying to compose mathy/djenty and kraut/post-punk/cold-wave ****s.

The space I live, work and record in:

IMG_20220806_124600.jpg

Here is my rig :

IMG_20220806_121518.jpg

Close-up to those mean-looking girls (and that badass dude hiding in the jungle) :

IMG_20220806_121537.jpg

On the left is my first ever electric guitar : a second-handed MIM Fender 50's Road Worn Tele I bought in 2008/09 with money I made working at local factory on summer-time, when I was still in high-school. Next year, I ruined stock neck-pickup by trying to take off its metal cover (šŸ„“), so I ended up swapping whole pu sets with Lindy Fralin's Stock (+5% overwound) and Blues pu. Never touched anything since then, and still being really happy with it. I played it without pickguard for all the time beeing with my friends-band, and I ended-up puting a transparent one to keeps teers and scuff made through all the gigs visible. Here is the (dirty) pu-wiring (I've made some progress in solder works since 2010, I promise ;)):

IMG_20220806_115629.jpg

Rightside is a second-handed J.M. Forest Tele I bougt really cheap 3 months ago. I started to took off all the glossy finish (formerly to help wood breaths, but by beeing too heavy on sandpaper I ended up with a relic finish). Former owner changed the pickguard to a really cool looking glassy-golden one, and had bridge pu swapped for a Seymour Duncan Hot-Rails. By writing this thread and opening up the plate to take picture, I just discovered that 2 of 4 wires are disconected. Does this means that the hot-rail is actually coil-splitted ? By the way, does this odd-looking 3 way switch is any good ?

IMG_20220806_115825.jpg

Those two babes are actually low-open-tuned (low-E string is a actually a low-Bb on the JM, and low-C on the Fender), relying on .70 and .64 gauge on low-E string. Damn that's big, but it chuggs hard (and low-tuned Teles sounds so rad IMHO).

But let us come back to the main topic : how to properly wire those Teles to have stereo output ?

As I said, I'd like to have both pickups wired in parallel, with one volume pot with treble-bleed for each pu, stereo signal going out with a TRS cable.
Any ideas ? I'm a complet noob in pu wiring mods, so any help would be greatly appreciated šŸ™ƒ

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
Edit: I didn't think about the 3 way switch when I posted my original comment. So I'll have to think about that.

Beebe

Tele-Holic
A quick and dirty way would be to just wire the volume for each to a stereo jack, bypassing the switch totally.

To add to that you might be able to set the switch up to control each pickups on state, but I'd have to think about that.

Adding a couple mustang switches or mini toggles would allow independent control of each pickups on state.

Careful with treble bleeds. They can sound like garbage and probably require some experimentation with values and circuit layout to get a good sound. Unless riding the volume is a big part of your style, it might be better to avoid. IMHO.... Or add them after getting things operable and sounding good without.

tomboudiboudi

NEW MEMBER!
Hi Steve, I keep the TDRPI mail notification containing your original comment, just in case.
At this point, I'm questioning whether it will be handier to switch btw each pickup with a foot/line selector, or with classic 3 way switch.

Hi bebee, I like the idea of a really straightforward wiring like this. Indeed, the less components/parts involved, the more reliable.
But on the opposite, I'm not against the idea of adding small 2pdt switches to the control plate (in betwin those 2 volumes pots) to add more tonal functionalities.
Do you think a treble bleed circuit could be engaged/bypassed with a 2pdt switch?
Any ideas of cool Tele mods?
I'm thinking that using 2x2pdt just to bypass volume pots could be a cool mod.