1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Alternate saddles for '90s American Standard bridge

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Thadocaster, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Thadocaster

Thadocaster TDPRI Member

Please share what works. Search comes up fairly short with old, dead links.

I am personally looking for barrel-shaped brass but any applicable saddles could help those in need.

Losing the black intonation screws helps the look actually quite a bit, but they are still damn ugly, IMHO.

[​IMG]

Fendereedo likes this.
  2. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

...here’s what I use on my American Standard: Brass keyhole saddles by “killer”.

96CD3FC5-DEA4-4B6E-8256-8E821DB1C52F.jpeg

Fendereedo likes this.
  3. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

I would get a 3 saddle bridge

Fendereedo likes this.
  4. RockinforJesus

RockinforJesus Tele-Meister

EDA246DC-212A-4B92-8EC4-16D34C6062CF.jpeg 1CFD4153-1FB7-4196-ADF2-A4B213946A1F.jpeg F2F7BC92-81BD-4C91-9A6B-29C7CCAE05B3.jpeg I replaced my American Standard bridge for an American Professional bridge.
    It was a very easy upgrade. Just had to drill 3 new holes - the 2 bottom outer holes and all string holes line up perfectly.

5. Tele Jr

Tele Jr Tele-Holic

Obvious choice to me are the chrome brass ones used on the recent Am Dlx's.

Fendereedo likes this.
  6. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

do you dislike the American Standard bridge just because you feel it's ugly or is there more. Though I don't think they are the most exciting guitars ever, I think they tend to 1. Sound pretty good. 2. Intonate. 3. Stay in tune.

I like that cool AmPro bridge mod too though!!

stonetone7 likes this.
  7. Thadocaster

Thadocaster TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. Please keep them coming for all to see. They had a long run, so I'm surprised there aren't more drop-in options available, both bridges and saddles for the stock bridge.

Callaham makes a set of offset stamped saddles designed for these bridges.

https://www.callahamguitars.com/strat_trem_amstdsaddleset_catalog.htm

Has anyone tried these Klusons?. Appear to be made for 2-3/16 string spacing, which is not too far off. Can maybe whittle down each saddle a couple mils and get them to work.

https://www.kluson.com/kluson-brass-6-saddle-set-for-fender-telecaster-details.html

My experience, I've liked about every US Std I've played that was well kept. It's just the block saddles and tuners I don't like and have always hated them since I started playing when they were on the current production guitars because they are UGLY. IMO a US Std has too much keeping it from being a legit classic Tele so I'll just run it like it is. This one kinda fell into my lap from a friend who bought it new, and I like it. I'd come to terms with the cast saddles being what they are and just wanted to replace the goofy black hardware, which was just too much to bear. In looking all that up the cost was approaching a new set of saddles anyway, and now I am determined to get rid of them.

My preferred hardware store had a drawer of springs, and I also took a scotchbrite pad to the height adjustment screws. Much better.

[​IMG]

That Cal Webway likes this.
  8. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Wait, does that “bikini” ashtray cover come with that bridge? Can I get one? That is perfect for me!

RockinforJesus likes this.
  9. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

dpang2836 and Thadocaster like this.
  10. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

It’s hard to find replacements cause of those offset intonation screws, as I’m sure you well know. I’ve heard many describe the bridge as “ugly”, but personally I never understood. Looks fine to me. I actually like these cause they work really well. I’ve even sourced them to use on builds. I find them functionally superior in pretty much every way to the vintage style. And nobody in all 34 years I’ve played live has ever come up to me on a set break and told me my bridge was ugly. To each his own, though. I think graph tech makes a set of offset specifically for these guitars. But they’re even less traditional looking, so probably not a help.

jvin248, stonetone7 and Thadocaster like this.
  11. stonetone7

stonetone7 Tele-Holic

73CDC889-C57D-46FE-8B79-5C065DDE4A55.jpeg

I never really noticed the black screws. Until now, that is. Yours look very cool.

Otherwise, mine have never, ever given me trouble. In fact, they’re a solid, comfortable place to lay the hand.

Jakedog and Thadocaster like this.
  12. TeleCarlos

TeleCarlos TDPRI Member

I love block saddles! They are my favorite!

That Cal Webway likes this.
  13. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Yes, the "mini-ashtray" comes with the American Professiona/Professional II bridge.

RockinforJesus and Dan German like this.
  14. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

My experience, I've liked about every US Std I've played that was well kept. It's just the block saddles and tuners I don't like and have always hated them since I started playing when they were on the current production guitars because they are UGLY. IMO a US Std has too much keeping it from being a legit classic Tele so I'll just run it like it is. This one kinda fell into my lap from a friend who bought it new, and I like it. I'd come to terms with the cast saddles being what they are and just wanted to replace the goofy black hardware, which was just too much to bear. In looking all that up the cost was approaching a new set of saddles anyway, and now I am determined to get rid of them.

My preferred hardware store had a drawer of springs, and I also took a scotchbrite pad to the height adjustment screws. Much better.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]
    Those style are what I buy and put on my Strats and Tele! Although none of mine use offset screws. To each his own I guess!

15. SixgunElectric

SixgunElectric TDPRI Member

Nice!

16. Refugee

Refugee Tele-Meister

Many go with the Glendale. They seem to have the more vintage type look to them. But, I can't stand ashtray lip, so I went with the Callaham. I wanted something super cutting, so I got all steel barrels. Really happy with this upgrade, and if you want it to sound more traditional, just get two brass and one steel like many do. The steel on the plate is a little thicker too, so it has those lap steel-eque qualities to it.

Tele_shots 008.jpg

Thadocaster likes this.
  17. SixgunElectric

SixgunElectric TDPRI Member

Me likey....thats a great look, mang! IMO

RockinforJesus likes this.
  18. Thadocaster

Thadocaster TDPRI Member

19. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Just do the 'Bubba Mod'... drill three new holes in the back of the plate and install a set of brass saddles. Done. Play yer git.

(search this forum for 'bubba mod' and you'll find the details)

20. Thadocaster

Thadocaster TDPRI Member

The position of the holes for the offset saddles do not allow for that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.