Alternate picking or whatever goes?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Gogogoch, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Gogogoch

Gogogoch TDPRI Member

Hi there,

Can anyone offer me a bit of advice on picking this phrase (photo attached - red pencil end pointing at the phrase)?

I'm trying to use alternate picking - so, as it's largely 16th notes, down pick on 1, up on 'e', down on '+', up on 'a' - but I'm finding that I slip out of this easily - like almost raking across the first four 16th notes. Should I persevere and train my right hand to stick with the alternate picking or use whatever works to get the lick right?

Attached Files:

2. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

As it’s written, with slurs, I wouldn’t expect you to pick every semiquaver / 16th note: in guitar notation a slur implies a hammer-on or pull-off. So in the run of notes counted 2-e-&-a you’d pick on 2, & and a but not on e.
    And then I would say don’t worry about alternate picking: I’m in the whatever works camp.

Toadtele, PhredE and Gogogoch like this.
  3. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Meister

I'd do 2-e-and =down, a =up. And then 3-e =up, and =down, e=up. I don't know if that's the best or most efficient way.

edit: also, as above, picking the first note of the hammer-ons

Gogogoch likes this.
  4. Jeremy_Green

Jeremy_Green TDPRI Member

I would sweep that first section all downs until it doubles back. I don't think it really matters - as long as it sounds good and is solidly in the pocket rhythm wise.

Gogogoch likes this.
  5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

With those hammer-ons and pull-offs, I'd economy pick it: (+ is down, ^ is up)

C +
    C# H.O.
    E +
    A +
    G ^
    E P.O.
    D +
    E +
    CE ^
    C# H.O.

The CE played with an up stroke can sound different from it played with a down stroke. For that reason you may orefer one over the other.

Gogogoch likes this.
  6. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't think about it that much. I haven't heard the term "economy" picking but it makes sense to me and I'd probably do something close-ish but not exact to what @BigDaddyLH proposes. Sometimes I come up with riffs lead/bits that make ME stumble and the thread is a nice reminder to think about what I'm picking when I do.

The bigger question is - if you wanna be like Brian Setzer (and who doesn't?), or EVH - are you holding the top 4 notes of the 5th fret A chord shape to play it? Makes it super easy.

Gogogoch likes this.
  7. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Flatpicking ? hammer, 3 rd note is pick, then finger, pull of with finger, pick, finger, pick and finger on the last hammered double stop ?

Gogogoch likes this.
  8. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Meister

honestly my first instinct to play those type of blues licks is with hybrid picking.

5^6 on the G - down
    5 on the B - down (swept from G string)
    5 on the E - pluck with middle finger (effectively your "upstroke")
    8^5 on the B - down
    7 on the G - down (since if you had picked both notes on the B, that's how you'd naturally land)
    5 on the B - pluck with middle finger
    double stop on B&G - either down with the pick, or pick on the G and middle on the B

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 8:52 AM
    Gogogoch likes this.
  9. Gogogoch

Gogogoch TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.