Altered Tunings

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by El Tele Lobo, Mar 17, 2019.

1. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Orkney tuning (CGDGCD) is used by some of the celtic players. Strings 1 through 5 correspond with the intervals of DADGAD, transposed a fourth up. In other words, if you can play in DADGAD, Orkney should be no problem. The low C on the 6th string opens up some new possibilities for playing in the key of C or as a 4 chord when playing in G. It's said to be called Orkney tuning because CGDGCD is impossible to pronounce.

I've also been messing with Joni Mitchell's "Coyote" tuning (CGDFCE). There's a lot of detailed information and transcriptions of her entire catalog on her website. Have to say, that's very generous of her.

2. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

Led Zeppelin's The Rain Song,
    DGCGCD

The first few chords, beautiful,

.G/D. . . . Gmaj7/D . . G7/D type chords. . . Eb/D
    -0----------0-----------0---0---0--0----------0
    -7----------6-----------5---5---3--1----------3
    -0----------0-----------4---4---4--4----------3
    -7----------6-----------5---5---5--5----------3

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    El Tele Lobo likes this.
  3. RCinMempho

RCinMempho Friend of Leo's

My favorite new trick for me is a capo on the second fret but NOT Capoing the low E. Easy to do with a Shubb or other capo that is open on one end.

Now your cowboy chords are up a step. The D-shape is E, but your low bass string is still E as if you were in a drop D type of tuning. But because the capo doesn't touch the low E, your G-chord, F or any other fretted low E string stays where it would be in standard tuning.

You get the benefit of drop D without having to compensate two frets on the low E string.

4. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

I'm using a .056 at the moment. I could see you needing to go as low as a .060 on an LP. I think Ariel Posen uses a .060 on his Strat tuned to C FWIW.

5. allthatjazz

allthatjazz Tele-Meister

Elliott Smith used this interesting CGCEAD tuning on "Clementine".

Michael Hedges used some great tunings. Kaki King, others of that ilk, as well.

Recently, I have been learning "Best of My Love" by Eagles. Frey got a tuning from Joni Mitchell and forgot it, perhaps one mentioned earlier. Instead, he used what he remembered to come up with the Eagles song. I saw a video suggesting the A is tuned to G.

6. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

Have you tried one of these?
    IMG_5988.jpg
    It's the Shubb C7B. It only capos the A-D & G strings and has the same application as the one you're using but with some interesting options. One thing that I do from time to time is use it to capo the 4th fret. If you're not into buying one without trying it first take a Kyser capo and use it this way:
    IMG_5993.jpg
    If you like it then get a Shubb as it does work better than this IMHE.

In my earlier post I mentioned this capo:
    IMG_5991.jpg
    It's standard Shubb capo cut to only work on the E-A-D & G strings. I haven't tried it but Shubb offers a banjo capo that seems to work for Andy McGee. So, if you like the C7 capo and aren't afraid to venture into the realm of Drop D, then I highly recommend checking it out. The person I learned this from used a standard Kyser capo but I found that the strings would pull to the side more than I liked but that's another way to see if works for you before going down that road.

Cheers!

RCinMempho and El Tele Lobo like this.
  7. RCinMempho

RCinMempho Friend of Leo's

Very interesting.

8. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

Love double drop D! It can sound very Celtic & of course, it was the basis
    for almost every Buffalo Springfield/Stills/Young song. :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.