Alt-Bro Country? Bro-icana? Millennial Stomp? Help me out here.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Whatizitman, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Not naming any names here. Just that I’m starting to hear more and more stompy Americana-ish bands that feel kinda...., “office approved”, if you catch my drift.

Anyone else?

String Tree likes this.
  2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Is it any worse or the same as Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, Florida Georgia Line , or Jake Owen ?

In either case I don’t wanna hear it...

3. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

Not sure I quite know what you're pointing to. For sure, contemporary "country" has relatively little to do with country music as many people think of it, except lyrics talking about small towns, bug trucks, and beer runs. Most of it has been infused with a noticeable amount of hard rock but not good hard rock; overly compressed formulaic hard rock) and top-40 pop to the point it's barely tolerable to me.

But then, that's been the way of Nashville's music exec ranks for decades. Sanitize, over-use, cash the checks, and squash anything that's too dark, too real, or not willing to be subjected to industry preferences (e.g., Johnny Cash, Davie Allen Coe, Sturgill Simpson).

But I don't consider this Americana. To me, that's stuff in the realm of Dylan, Petty, Wallflowers, Sonvolt, Band of Horses, Jason Isbell, and the like. Historically, I've found artists gravitating to that style are by nature less likely to "toe the line" of industry fads, but I'm sure there's gonna be overlap.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Stubee and StrangerNY like this.
  4. Whatizitman

Cross Mumford and Sons with Petty, add hand claps, millennial whoop, pseudo-urban vocal inflections, and autotune harmonies. Ok here’s some names. Sorry to be a basher, by but I’m just not feeling it.

Shakey Graves? Everett Bros? Not the only ones, but you get what I’m saying. Lots of lesser known acts on Spotify and such seem to be going for this.

Edit: Avett Bros. Not Everett. My bad.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  5. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

I know what you’re saying, I’m not a fan of some of it either. No need for labels, though. Just don’t like it.

6. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

Not my country! :)

I do like Old Town Road though...

Chuckster and StrangerNY like this.
  7. Mike Eskimo

I’d rather listen to Shakey Graves or the Avett Brothers than any of the shyt that I mentioned

middy likes this.
  8. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I saw The Cowpokes play at Acme Feed on lower Broad weekend before last. They announced from the stage “We’re the only Country & Western band on Broad.”

And I believe it.

We walked up and down broad for about an hour after that, and there’s a ton of people having a good time, but everything pouring out of the bars is Top 40 radio. There are even bands down there doing bro-country covers of Def Leppard and the like. If you like that all of that, fine.

Yeah... catch The Cowpokes next time you’re in town. It will be well worth it if you like authentic country.

9. Whatizitman

I agree. OTOH, I actually like all the acts @horseman308 mentioned.

Now this. This is excellent. Local dude here, quickly rising to stardom, and just got signed to a major. No millennial whoop here.

10. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

Best guitar tones are in country these days. Best players over there, too. The writing...thin.

There's great music out there, you just might not hear it on the top 40 country stations. It's always been that way, in any post-rock genre.

It should be noted that it has never been easier to dig beneath the surface to find the good stuff.

11. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

I have been calling that style of music "Stomp and Holler" for about 10 years. The Avett Brothers are from NC, and I lived there when they were coming up. Some friends of mine did video and design work for them, and my wife's old boss was their manager for a while.

I can't say that this Stomp and Holler music speaks to me very much.

Harry Styron likes this.
  12. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

Thanks for posting about the Cowpokes. Reminds me of Cow Bop especially with that big hollow box.

Harry Styron and TheGoodTexan like this.
  13. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

It's funny. I grew up in Nashville and didn't care for country as a teenager - I've always been much more of a rocker, and I still very much am. I always resented people thinking only of Nashville as a country music town when there has always been so much other great music there. But now that "country" sounds more like "rock" than ever (bad rock at that) I really miss its country music!

I'd take Alan Jackson, Brookes and Dunn, Garth (who I argue really is one of THE best showmen out there), and company any day as opposed to what passes for it now. Not that I like them as much as the Americana rock and outlaw country stuff, but it's still better than what is popular now.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  14. Mike Eskimo

Yeah, Tyler Childers is pretty great .

stinkey and Whatizitman like this.
  15. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I got sick of that stuff when it took over the radio a few years ago.

audiopablo likes this.
  16. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Junior Brown for President...

17. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

It's just sad that real country music rarely gets played on the radio. It's out there and it's good but radio stations have embraced bro country and ignored most of genuine country.
    A local store, Big R, is tuned in to a "country" station on their PA and i can't get out of there quick enough.

18. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

It's just sad that real country music rarely gets played on the radio. It's out there and it's good but radio stations have embraced bro country and ignored most of genuine country.
    A local store, Big R, is tuned in to a "country" station on their PA and i can't get out of there quick enough.

19. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

+1 Tyler Childers

Ian Noe
    Sam Outlaw
    Zephaniah OHora
    Colter Wall
    Tom Buller
    Drew Kennedy
    Dale Watson
    etc etc etc

lots of good country music if you turn off corporate radio

the 4 on floor stomp just acknowledges that club rhythm is about the only thing the poor young people can dance to

stinkey likes this.
  20. SoulstormTX

SoulstormTX Tele-Meister

HickHop

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.