Alpha pot solid shafts

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by tobyk, Jul 30, 2021.

1. jtcnj

jtcnj Tele-Holic

Did you bend the detent tab over?

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aren't the Alpha available with longer threaded shanks like CTS are? Some CTS are too short to use a lock washer also... You need 3/8" long bushing.
    I guess they are not available from Alpha.

I try to save those really thin lock washers to use with those short bushing pots and use the thicker normal star washers for longer pots.

These are thin, (switch size, will work on pots though) but there are also pot size ones that are super thin with a 3/8" ID.
    https://www.cedist.com/products/lock-washer-carling-internal-tooth-toggle-and-foot-switches

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  3. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I was under the impression Alphas came in short-shaft (like for guitars) and longer shaft (like for amps). Speaking of long shaft, many folks like to use star washers under their pots, even if they don't do the old-style ground to the pot case. Prevents pot rotation, don't ya know.

As an idle observation, it's funny how slagging on product B in a question about product A can turn a 'request for help' into a bit of a flame fest...

4. tobyk

tobyk Tele-Meister

The pot diameter on both brands I have here is 24 mm, bushing diameter 8 mm.
    I believe the bushing lenght is about 6 mm (1/4”) on the Alphas, and the shaft 9 mm (3/8”) for a total shaft lenght of 15 mm. Those short suckers are the only 2M solid shaft I can find out there. On the CTS the bushing length is about 8 mm (5/16”) and the total shaft length is 18 mm.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  5. tobyk

tobyk Tele-Meister

Yes I did!

6. dan40

dan40 Friend of Leo's

I normally buy all of my Alpha pots from Valvestorm. They don't give the exact length but they have never come up short on any of my builds with a steel chassis/plexiglass faceplate.

http://valvestorm.com/Products/Components/Potentiometers/Amplifier

Edit; This store focuses mainly on Marshall circuits so they may not have some of the values needed for other amp brands.

tobyk likes this.
  7. tobyk

tobyk Tele-Meister

Thanks, I’ll check them out.

dan40 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.