Alpha pot solid shafts

tobyk

Tele-Meister
Hi,
Alpha pots – their solid shafts are a tad shorter than CTS.
So short that when I put a 1 mm aluminium faceplate on the chassis, there is almost nothing left on the shaft for the knob! Why are they this short, and is this length "historically correct" or something?. Have you had this problem too? I prefer Alphas otherwise because of their quality feel compared to CTS, which looks and feel like plastic toys to me.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
What hardware is on the threaded part of the shaft beneath the chassis and faceplate?
Lock-washer?
Nut and lock-washer?

Where is the set-screw in re the overall knob height?

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Hi,
Alpha pots – their solid shafts are a tad shorter than CTS.
So short that when I put a 1 mm aluminium faceplate on the chassis, there is almost nothing left on the shaft for the knob! Why are they this short, and is this length "historically correct" or something?. Have you had this problem too? I prefer Alphas otherwise because of their quality feel compared to CTS, which looks and feel like plastic toys to me.
CTS pots were and are used on the higher end US made guitars like Fender and Gibson. Alpha pots are used on inexpensive imported Epiphone guitars.

tobyk

Tele-Meister
CTS pots were and are used on the higher end US made guitars like Fender and Gibson. Alpha pots are used on inexpensive imported Epiphone guitars.
Yes I know, I would still argue they are more cheaply made. Made in Asia as well, after all.

tobyk

Tele-Meister
Never heard someone say they like alpha pots more than cts. Alpha are cheap garbage feeling to me compared to cts. Interesting
Alphas have some slight resistance/torque when turning them, which is quality to me. Their metal feels like metal, while CTS looks and feels like chrome covered plastic. CTS have a totally loose feel. I would say they live on their name and heritage, while nowadays making (most) of their stuff cheaply overseas. A bit like Grover.

jimgchord

Tele-Afflicted
Alphas have some slight resistance/torque when turning them, which is quality to me. Their metal feels like metal, while CTS looks and feels like chrome covered plastic. CTS have a totally loose feel. I would say they live on their name and heritage, while nowadays making (most) of their stuff cheaply overseas. A bit like Grover.
You seem confused.

LutherBurger

Poster Extraordinaire
I think they are 15 mm shaft length. CTS are about 18 mm I think, which is perfect.
Would 20mm work? I just did a quick search and found several results.

And by the way, I agree. I don't like CTS pots either. Alphas have a smoother-sounding audio taper and seem to have more (or thicker) damping grease in them, and their shafts don't wobble like CTS shafts.

tobyk

Tele-Meister
Would 20mm work? I just did a quick search and found several results.

And by the way, I agree. I don't like CTS pots either. Alphas have a smoother-sounding audio taper and seem to have more (or thicker) damping grease in them, and their shafts don't wobble like CTS shafts.
Please do link to them, thanks.

takauya

Tele-Meister
I like CTS pots because they are crappy made. I can open them and re-grease with ease.

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I've used the 24mm .375" bushing Alphas and haven't noticed any real dimensional differences from CTS. The shafts were .25" by .33". Do yours maybe have .25" length threaded bushings? I believe most amp pots are .375". I've never used the 8mm bushing Alphas.

LutherBurger

Poster Extraordinaire
I've used the 24mm .375" bushing Alphas and haven't noticed any real dimensional differences from CTS. The shafts were .25" by .33". Do yours maybe have .25" length threaded bushings? I believe most amp pots are .375". I've never used the 8mm bushing Alphas.
I think you're right. All of the Alpha solid-shaft pots at tubesandmore have short (6.5mm) bushings. Those are good for Telecaster control plates, but maybe too short for thick panels.