1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"Alnico V P90 Guitar Pickup Set Humbucker size Single Coil HB90" is ceramic

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by MusicGroup, Jan 15, 2019.

1. MusicGroup

MusicGroup TDPRI Member

They sell them on aliexpress Stores:
    Tomwin Outdoor Store
    and
    Haofang Outdoor Store

Description:
    If you're looking for some single-coil snap and twang, from your humbucker equipped guitar, take a look at the Vanson
    Alnico V 'HB90'. A fat P90 single coil in a standard humbucker sized body.
    Our P90's are a perfect mid-ground between
    a humbucker and a traditional single-coil.
    Thick and full without sounding muddy, but not overly bright.
    With plenty of mids, your clean and crunch tones will have more definition, allowing your chords to ring out.

Specification:
    Condition: New
    Color: GoldBridge, GoldNeck, SilverBridge, SilverNeck
    Dimension: 7x3.7x2cm
    Wire Length: 39cm
    To Fit Guitar: LesPaul
    Type: Pickups
    Parts Type: HB90

Same as Vanson AlNiCo V P90, Humbucker size Single Coil Pickup, HB90
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=362429848850

Search "1Pcs Alnico V P90 Guitar Pickup Set Humbucker size Single Coil HB90" pictures and you will find this sham pickup everywere, f.i. on ebay.
    Brand:
    Liumy
    Wire Length: 39cm MPN:
    pNt1734521
    Dimension: 7x3.7x2cm Parts Type: HB90
    Manufacturer Part Number:
    pNt1734521
    To Fit Guitar: Les Paul

They really are ceramic pickups, two bars inside are wrapped in foil to mimic metal. First pictures are from ads, and after them are my pics with pickup open.

Attached Files:

CFFF, metale and Teleterr like this.
  2. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Thanks for letting us know!

3. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I trust anything from China as far as I can throw the entire country.
    Did you install and then wonder what was wrong or just curiosity as to construction ?

Larryguitar likes this.
  4. MusicGroup

MusicGroup TDPRI Member

No, I do not install pickups before investigating them (paraffin dip, metal plates on the bottom or sides, air between poles and magnet and overall construction, you know - there are even humbuckers in p90 body), so my guitar was not mangled to suit this garbage.

They are now and could in future be on ebay and other stores that are NOT from China, but I presume ads will be the same, so they will be identifiable. If you look beneath pickup thru holes it looks like metal, and nickel "silver" pickups have ceramic magnets wrapped in aluminum foil, so it is easy to be deceived.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  5. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I ve made P90s using a HB coil w AlNiCo magnets from a Guitar Fetish Strat single size HB. If the magnets go past the coil edge, ie they are wider than the coil, they don t sound as good. I tried Firebird magnets as well since they are available as magnets instead of cannibalizing cheap p-ups. The proper size smaller micro HB magnets were noticeably better. So thats another problem w your p-ups, the magnets are too wide.Guitar Fetish has discontinued the doner p-ups.

MusicGroup likes this.
  6. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

Did you get a refund? I seriously doubt that the copper foil is an attempt at deception. First of all, most buyers will never open the cover. Secondly, those who did would never mistake the obvious copper foil for an AlNiCo bar. It's probably there for some kind of tone modification, shielding, or mechanical integrity. Hard to guess why.

7. MusicGroup

MusicGroup TDPRI Member

I though at first it's their knowhow to change a sound like copper plate changes it in tele bridge, and I did not think it was a magnet.

But in pictures for silver pickup from beneath I see white metal, presumably aluminium foil.

It is a deception, this is the page I ordered from, see for yourself.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Zeb...470.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5fc24c4dsqIQBt
    Refund for 15$ is not a point (dispute in progress), point is that I don't want them to con people further.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Teleterr and CFFF like this.
  8. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

Did you find any such aluminum foil inside the pickup? It looks like no. What do you actually see at the back of these before they are opened? Copper? I think the photos actually show two Alnico bars. If you look very closely you can see the criss cross saw marks (look where the cable goes in). I think what has happened is that the seller has either switched suppliers, or has a different batch from the same seller and continued to use the outdated or misleading photos. Most of the sellers have no clue about pickups really, they just buy and sell them. I think the deception has probably taken place between the wholesaler/manufacturer and the seller.

I'm not suggesting that they should evade responsibility for the misrepresentation, I just doubt that they really knew. Remember, this is a store that sells bicycle accessories.

CFFF likes this.
  9. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

A lot of Chinese vendors don't know the difference. I've seen obvious ceramic bar Strat pickups advertised as alnico.

The person selling you the bits often isn't the maker, which is a factory churning out parts for Squire bullets, SXs and other entry/chainstore brands. They buy a box out the side door for a workers monthly wages and sell them on the web.

They just cherry pick terms - a white single coil pickup that sells for $50-100 in America? Good - I will copy the buzz terms to sell my generic $5 pickup.

10. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Tin foil? Anyone missing a hat?

11. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Maybe the aluminum foil was for "Noiseless Pickups". Aluminum will cut out some noise so....

12. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

How do you know they are ceramic? If they were alnico bars they would be placed exactly like that.

How do they sound?

13. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

Good point. Actually, I thought, "yeah those look like ceramic" when I looked at the photos. But looking back at the photo now, I'm not sure. Ceramic is a dull dark grey, not really metallic looking. But now I see that the light is from the side and it's really hard to make out the true appearance. rrr969, please post some better pictures and please explain why you talk about aluminum foil when the wrap on the magnets is obviously adhesive backed copper foil. You have only provided one picture of the back and it shows no aluminum. How thick are the magnets? Ceramics are usually thicker than Alnico.

From your posts, it sounds like you inferred that the silver coloured pickups have aluminum foil vs. Alnico solely on the presence of copper foil in one gold set. That is a bit of a leap unless you also have examined the silver ones.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  14. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Looked like ceramic to me too.
    The ceramic bar magnet that was underneath my GFS Minibird was only 3mm thick x 10mm wide x 56mm long.

15. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

I have one of these in my guitar. It's a good sounding pickup, but it doesn't sound like a P90. I also bought a Belcat brand 'alnico' bass pickup that also was probably not true alnico. The seller described it as some kind of ferrite/alnico hybrid that I can find no other information on and no other pickup manufacturers use. It clearly has a ferrite magnet on the bottom, visible without even opening up.

16. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

That is another possible reason for the copper foil - ceramic is brittle and they might wrap it to protect against cracking. 3mm is very thin for a ceramic.

Zepfan likes this.
  17. GEECEE

GEECEE TDPRI Member

I buy next to nothing from China - especially anything you eat or wear. Deception, use of hazardous and poisonous materials in construction - what's been caught is almost unbelievable and is the tip of the iceberg compared to what we haven't caught.

Teleterr likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.