alnico pups and tone knobs.......

Antigua Tele

Friend of Leo's
well, the upside to the constant bootstrap talk is that there are soooo many choices out there. might help people have a place to start. ive heard the name a zillion times but didnt actually know it was a member here. plus maybe its deserved to be talked about a lot if theyre decent.....

im not overly happy with the 1/4 pounder strat pup. i mean its good if u use gain a lot. kinda dark and a bitty muddy. and that was on a 500k pot. ot did sound pretty full, especially with fuzz. definitely not a good pup for clean. imho.

It's come to the point where I can usually find high quality pickups for under $50, from one source or another, Donlis or "Guitar Madness" or various vendors on AliExpress, and the nice thing is that they're usually pretty liberal with the specs, which I find to be accurate most of the time. If you don't know what to look for, Tonerider is a safe bet. I used to like BYO, but they took like ten weeks to ship the sets I ordered, and I found that their gold PAF covers were inferior to Tonerider's, who's were fine, so I've soured on BYO, but I might give them another shot in the future, because their price to quality ratio is still very high. I don't like to get too emotional about gear, because objectivity goes out the window, but I put a set of gold cover Tonerider AlNiCo II Classics in a Les Paul copy, and it really sounds heavenly.

Bootstrap is good too, the white Strat pickup covers seemed cheap, though. To be honest, I just have a bit of an aversion to buying from vendors on the forums, it's just a little unsettling to think that another user on here has my name, credit card number and home address, and I feel like I can't be honest about their product without it becoming forum drama.

I bought Quarter Pounds for Strat and Tele and used them for about a year, with tapping in order to get cleans. I ended up concluding that rails humbuckers are far superior, and can be bought on Amazon for as little as $12 per pickup. The SSL-4 buzzes loud, as single coils will, but especially loud given that it's a hot pickup, probably having in the area of ten thousands turns of fine magnet wire around some large antennas, I mean "pole pieces". A rail pickup, like Seymour Duncan Hot or Cool Rails, can be used in series for a good overdrive tone, or in parallel for a decent clean Strat tone. The SSL-4T was useful as a learning tool though, because of how it contrasts with traditional Strat and Tele bridge pickups. The Quarter Pound Tele Neck model uses the standard sized pole pieces, which I thought was kind of cheap. Some other pickup makers managed to squeeze 1/4" pole pieces into a Tele neck.

Last edited: