Alnico 12" Jensen (current production) Speakers

Valfyo1953

NEW MEMBER!
I have a 65 RI Super Reverb. It is stock with the 4 10"" Jensen Alnico speakers to which I say they sound magnificent with my Tele and Strat. Jangly, transparent and quite dynamic.
My question is: do you think the 12" Alnico Jensens have the same sound characteristics? I'm thinking about swapping out the heavy ceramic Jensens in my Twin Reverb 65 RI to possibly achieve the SR tones and make the amp a few pounds lighter.
YouTube vids don't cut it for me so I come to you! Thx!

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire
Seems easy enough to try first without even moving speakers, if they have the standard Fender quarter inch cable connectors. Even if you have to buy or make a cable that would be fairly inexpensive.

By the way, welcome to the TDPRI!

JamesAM

Tele-Holic
which jensens come in the super reverb - p10r? if so, I don't know if you can get there from here with the twin.

I dont think you can find an alnico that's rated high enough to support it, if you're doing a 1-1 swap. And you definitely won't be able to put in p12rs - they're not rated high enough for your big twin's power.

I think the highest wattage alnico is a p12n, and two of those in an 85 watt twin have a pretty high probability of blowing. Keith Richards uses old p12ns in his tweed high power twin (80 watts), and he supposedbly blows those all the time.

You may want to try a pair of alnico creambacks, which can support the higher wattage of the twin.

In my opinion, I would give weber a call and see if they have a pair of alnico jensen clones that can support 85 watts.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I like the P12q..tad more jangly than P12n..
at 40w..it should handle your vol ok. Not as
much as your ceramic c12n 75watters

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
For the kind of money those new P12Ns cost, I'd be more inclined to try the Warehouse G12A. It's rated for 75W and is a little less efficient (96db), which is never a bad thing in a Twin.

I personally don't think you'd have any problem with modern 50W speakers - the Eminences Fender used to ship with the TRRI were 50 watts, and who's really diming a Twin these days anyways? Weber 12A150 would be another good choice, but they'll be insanely loud.

Emiel

Tele-Meister
Maybe try a pair of the Jensen Blackbird 40? They are only 2 kg each and from what I've read, it's pretty much like a P12Q but with a reinforced magnet. If you're not cranking the amp, two 40W speakers should be fine? Would love to try one in a Tweed amp actually...

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a 65 RI Super Reverb. It is stock with the 4 10"" Jensen Alnico speakers to which I say they sound magnificent with my Tele and Strat. Jangly, transparent and quite dynamic.
My question is: do you think the 12" Alnico Jensens have the same sound characteristics? I'm thinking about swapping out the heavy ceramic Jensens in my Twin Reverb 65 RI to possibly achieve the SR tones and make the amp a few pounds lighter.
Which speakers connected to which amp? I thought you were considering connecting the Twin’s speakers to the Super.

68goldtop

TDPRI Member
Hi!
I have a 65 RI Super Reverb. It is stock with the 4 10"" Jensen Alnico speakers to which I say they sound magnificent with my Tele and Strat...
My question is: do you think the 12" Alnico Jensens have the same sound characteristics?...
Yes, the P12R and P12Q have a very similar character to the P10R´s in your Super.
I actually like the "Q" better than the "R" - a bit more stout/punchy all around.
Mind you - the C12Q sounds very, very similar and is more reasonably priced...

I would think about how LOUD you typically play your Twin.
I "guess" that it will hardly be louder than, say, "5" on the volume?
If so, I think you´d be fine with a pair of P12Q´s (or maybe C12Q´s). They take 80 Watts (as a pair) and if you don´t "dime" your Twin on a regular basis, they should be OK 👍
If you want to play the Twin really loud, I would go for a more robust set of speakers.

cheers - 68.

Last edited:

2L man

Tele-Afflicted
Because I like tube distortion and loudspeaker compression, of all 12", the P12Q is my favorite because of its low sensitivity. If I could play louder P12N would be my favorite for bluesy rock and Blackbird 40 or BB100 for rock.

Tornado 100 was my first new 12" loudspeaker when I began recent GAS and I could/should have stop there :)

thebowl

Tele-Meister
Maybe try a pair of the Jensen Blackbird 40? They are only 2 kg each and from what I've read, it's pretty much like a P12Q but with a reinforced magnet. If you're not cranking the amp, two 40W speakers should be fine? Would love to try one in a Tweed amp actually...
I have one that I put in my 5E5 reproduction. I like it so far, although it is still breaking in.

Emiel

Tele-Meister
I have one that I put in my 5E5 reproduction. I like it so far, although it is still breaking in.

Any experience with the P12Q reissue or with its Weber counterparts? I really liked the reissue but the Blackbird 40 seems to tick all the boxes, heard it has a fuller tone and a tighter low end.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
The P12R or P12Q wont handle the Twin power.... at least reliably.
The other thing is there is something about 4 speakers that gives that big full punchy sound. Try disconnecting two of the 10" in your super and play it to see what the sound is.
I used to think a 15" would be fuller, bigger etc than 4 tens. But it just ain't so. Not saying one is better or worse, just sayin' it ain't the same.
You need at least 50 watt each speakers for the Twin.

thebowl

Tele-Meister
Any experience with the P12Q reissue or with its Weber counterparts? I really liked the reissue but the Blackbird 40 seems to tick all the boxes, heard it has a fuller tone and a tighter low end.
I’m not sure. Is the P12Q what Fender put in the ‘57 Deluxe RI? I broke one of those in for a buddy. The Blackbird sounds fuller and tighter than that amp did, but they are obviously different amps.

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
I’m not sure. Is the P12Q what Fender put in the ‘57 Deluxe RI? I broke one of those in for a buddy. The Blackbird sounds fuller and tighter than that amp did, but they are obviously different amps.

No, the '57 Deluxe has a one-off Eminence-made Alnico with Fender branding.

Jowes_84

Tele-Holic
Tornado 100 was my first new 12" loudspeaker when I began recent GAS and I could/should have stop there :)
I too like the Jensen Neo 12/100 and the Tornado… not sure it sounds like a P12Q, probably not exactly, but weight and power handling wise it is a great fit. Sometimes they show up used priced low-medium.