Almost NPD: Ibanez Nu Tube Screamer....hope I don't regret it...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Jun 1, 2020.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

Found a used/mint one for about the price of an 808 and I am sure many would argue that the 808 would have been the way to go. After listening to a number of demos, I decided to give it a chance. Seems to have better low-end fullness that the TS is not known for. Also perhaps a bit more modern sounding, whatever that means. Never ben a TS fan, but here's to hope...

Pulled the trigger today, arrives in a few days. Anyone got one, use one, like it, hate it?

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats! Hope it works out great for you.
    ( I love the way they look.)

3. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I almost pulled the trigger on one selling for a good used price, but decided to not push through as Ive found a real Tube overdrive called the Sib Cuda which runs a 12AX7 and not a starved plate design thats cheaper by a 100 dollars..

I like the idea of Nutube.. the technology, if its as real as they get and virtually the same as how the old tube technology is in a smaller, modern package, is amazing..

Im still a fan of Tubescreamers, having used one for almost 15 years.. but right now, Im trying to explore other flavors of drives..

Have fun and please do report back on what you think of it..

bluesholyman and telemnemonics like this.
  4. bluesholyman

I know, right? But I have NEVER bought a pedal because it looked cool.... :lol:

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  5. bluesholyman

I have never liked Tubescreamers, except a TS808 into a Bassman....that was glorious...ear shattering, but glorious.

I think my "thing" happens to be treble boosters - love what they do for an amp - currently have two and while my pedalboard is large (about 10-12 pedals on it) I could easily survive with a TB, delay, and an amp.

I like TB's better than the TS because they don't add that nasally compressed signature to the sound, like a TS does. Both push amp with rolled-off bass to keep it from getting flubby. That bit of realization had me reconsidering a TS and the nu tube was a good price and does not cut as much of the lows - my biggest complaint about TS's in general, apart from the "compressed" sound it has, but that can be useful too.

So, it will be an interesting experiment. The "nu tube" seems to sound a little more "modern", "hi-def", "HD" than what a real valve would do....I've heard it described a couple ways. Probably less warm than the 9/808 but will have to see.

6. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

If you like Ibanez tubescreamers then you won't be disappointed, I've played one and it sounded almost identical to any other Ibanez tube screamer.

MilwMark and RetroTeleRod like this.
  7. bluesholyman

Anderton's video on this was great - The Capt'n was very honest about his opinion and being in an odd position of a professional gear seller and then talking down the Nu Tube in favor of the cheaper ones. He and Rob were not that impressed, especially given the price.

I generally don't like Tube Screamers so this is a bit of a leap of faith....your statement does not bode well for me :lol:

Si G X likes this.
  8. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

haha, I vaguely remember it ... Rob keeps going 'they all sound the same' :lol:

To be 100% honest I can't really hear any difference between an 808 and a TS9 and other people swear they have a noticeable difference. I'm not a massive TS fan either but in the right context they can be really useful.

9. bluesholyman

It gets to be splitting hairs at some point. I felt the difference between those two was subtle - it was there but subtle. I don't think I could tell a difference between the two in a youtube video, but I could when I a/b'd them in person. I can hear a difference between those two and the Nu TS though in the video comparisons. It seems different enough.

RetroTeleRod and Si G X like this.
  10. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

The difficulty is because with something like a tube screamer it's all about (for me anyway) how it interacts with your own gear. So I think if you can get one at a decent price to try (and sell for what you paid if it doesn't work for you) is a good way to go.

bluesholyman likes this.
  11. bluesholyman

440tpi.jpg

I'm going to write up a review in a separate thread, but here is a pic of the new frankenscreamer:

IMG_1900.JPG

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    RetroTeleRod likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.