Almost ngd... I bought an asat classic..

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by D_W_PGH, Dec 31, 2018.

1. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Really out of curiosity more than anything else.

What triggered it was the post about g&l guitars on reverb for 25% or so off last week, and a subsequent troll through the used models to find something with a hard case (the new models come with a gig bag, it appears).

So, what will i find?

https://reverb.com/item/17351342-g-l-asat-classic

2. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Holic

Congrats!

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

3. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

Nice! I am a big fan of G&L, you get a lot for the money with them (especially used) I like the small and large MFD pickups but their ASAT Classic Alnico are really killer as well.

soulman969 likes this.
  4. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I think you will be well pleased! (My wallet is happy that I missed that Reverb sale) Congrats!

5. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

I was fortunate to pick up mine a few years back for a lot less money. Great guitars at a more than fair price. Buy with confidence :)

6. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Congrats. Used G&Ls are a terrific bargain and just enough different from a Fender Tele to provide a nice alternative. I have an ASAT Special I really enjoy as a change of pace guitar.

7. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Great guitar! Dave regularly sells guitars as used to get around the MAP regs. I’m betting that is dead new when it comes in the door.

8. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Regarding the case - it depends. G&L was formerly set up so every instrument they produced was individually specked and ordered by dealers (either a customer' spec or a spec the dealer wanted to have for their stock). They would from time-to-time do runs of say 20-25 instruments with the same specs (color, fingerboard, neck shape, etc.) and those would often come with a gig bag instead of a case. These are among the ones getting blown out here at the end of the year.

The "stock spec" models have become a larger part of their business model over the past 3-4 years - the "basic" ones called "Fullerton Standards" do come with a gig bag (only 2 models, only differences are color); starting this year they added a "Fullerton Deluxe" series (more models, more color/fingerboard/pickguard options) but I thought those were coming with the card case but maybe they are also coming with a gig bag. Then of course you can still order what you want as a "Fullerton Option Order" series, and the Option Orders also come with a hard case unless a customer wants a gig bag instead.

They have also started a "Custom Shop" - some of the options you used to be able to get as a regular option order got moved to the Custom Shop - the less popular ones like V-necks and U-necks, plus better maple tops, nitro finishes, and some other things. These come with a hard case.

Finally they also have the "CLF Research" series - somewhat reissues/recreations of an original Leo-era guitar and bass models (CLF Research was the name of the company Leo started when he sold Fender to CBS - it was originally an R&D consulting shop during his 5-year consulting contract with Fender; after his 10-year non-compete expired he expanded CLF to a factory to build the Music Man instruments of the 1970s, and after he left Music Man it became the G&L factory as well; after some contractual things with Music Man were ended he retired the CLF name; the current owners brought the name back this year for these reissues/recreations).

9. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

G&L's are great guitars! Not your typical T-style guitar, IMO. The MFD pickups they come with are a hot output type of pickup, they sound nice and fat. the tone sounds more like a Tele on steroids IMO. The pickups also do clean tones and take overdrive pedals beautifully. They feel great to play, my Asat Classic S has one of the best feeling necks I've played. I like the extra flexibility in adjusting each pole piece to make every strings output even. Overall, G&L guitars are really reliable, great sounding, and great playing instruments. :)

10. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the info, guys. I literally did buy the guitar without knowing much about them, figuring there'd be little loss if I decide to sell. Hope I didn't offend anyone with the comment about the hard case, I didn't know there was as much freedom in specs as there is. I recall the first time I got on dhgate, I saw an asat copy. Surprised by that, and like to get an ohsc with used brand name guitars.

Glad to hear that the dealer is a known entity.

I'll post a picture when the guitar arrives.

11. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I've had two ASAT Classics. The first, a '94 bought new, had one of the best neck p/us I've heard yet. Never should have sold that guitar. Both benefitted from replaced bridge and saddles. The stock saddles can drift to the side, and the high E saddle wore down the string groove. Turned it over, which worked for awhile, but then that sitar sound returned. So a vintage style bridge and 3 barrel saddle setup eliminated the problem, also sounded and felt better.

12. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

I have and ASAT Junior II. It’s the best guitar I’ve every played and I have 6 other teles. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI forum mobile app

13. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Having never had an ASAT in hand before, I did receive this guitar (sorry, forgot to take pictures!).

It came in a nice case, the same type of case as the talman I got last year. The guitar itself is 8 pounds, nicely made (didn't plug it in yet) and for the lack of a better way to put it, just feels like a more modern telecaster. Wish it was 6 1/2 or 7 pounds instead of 8, but that's the breaks.

It's funny that the modifications to it just by eye (bigger frets, larger radius routed on the outside of the body) are the same things that are assailed when someone makes a telecaster copy and doesn't copy a telecaster exactly!! :p

Nice guitar and nicely finished, though, and came with nice stiff fat strings on it - at least 10s. Great seller, too - neatly packed and a card verifying that the guitar had been looked over before sale.

14. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

G&L guitars typically run a bit heavier than examples of similar models from Fender. Congrats and enjoy!

15. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Stunning guitar.

16. thatteleguy

thatteleguy TDPRI Member

Very cool! I've not played one, but if they sound as good as they look... :)

17. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I haven't plugged mine in yet. At 8 pounds, it sounds sort of like a heavy guitar, looks like a telecaster to me (as mentioned above). I've read elsewhere that anyone buying one is up the creek if they have a neck problem, but I have no issue with that. I fit all of the necks to the bodies on any guitar I make, so making a replacement neck for a G/L or fender would be the same either way. Doubly easy if I have a broken one in hand already to take measurements off of.

18. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

G&L necks have a 22-fret heel; Fender necks have a 21-fret heel and the 22nd fret is on a fingerboard overhang. As you say as long as you have the measurement you can make the correct neck heel for the G&L. Warmoth doesn't but someone else is making G&L spec necks.

19. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I believe the deluxe tele had something like that - I've sold mine, but took pictures (the overhang). I'm kind of indifferent about necks and things such as that unless they create a problem in construction that I can't figure out (as in, when do I drop that fret in and how to make sure I don't have a fret right at the end of the neck, break the whole thing and have no recourse).

If someone lived near me and had a G&L that they broke the neck on, I'd probably just make them one for the cost of materials. There are a few of us floating around who do better if our construction methods don't involve hitting a bunch of precise measurements and then hoping that they turn out. I do better when I can work entirely by hand on a neck (completely sans power tools of any type other than drilling the tuner holes) and do each part progressively. You could never make a living like that, but I'm not making a living and can still make a neck in a day if I have to.

I wonder how many necks per man day fender makes (including fret work, etc). 40? 60?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.