Almost hit a deer yesterday.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Perhaps we should teach the deer to read.
Then they would be able to understand where we want them to cross.
It's easy to see that those who plan those deer crossings, haven't really taken into consideration where the deer might actually like to cross the road. Every successful plan requires compromise, and consideration for ALL those involved.

pixeljammer

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Yeah I know, so what. This was a new one for me. I was out before sunrise and I'm trucking down a familiar road. All the sudden I see a lump in the road, like a bag of trash. I slowed and swerved and I see a head crane around to look at me.

So it must have been hit previously and hadn't died yet. I don't think they sleep in the middle of the road.

I called the police to have them deal with it. Last time I saw them deal with a hit/hurt deer it didn't go any better for the deer.
My mother called the cops about a hit deer who wasn't dead yet, and the Colorado State Patrol came out and the trooper closed his eyes while trying to shoot it from ten feet away, missed, and she shamed him back into his car and down the hill. (mountain road)
I drove over and killed it, skinned it out and cut it up. Free meat for the winter after a call to CPW.

Last edited:

pixeljammer

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
They should put in more deer crossings and think about where they are going to put them. I mean, just putting one there in a curve in the road, when there's a nice straightaway not a quarter of a mile up the road? I don't think the people in charge of deer crossings know much about deer.
And those damn deer never cross at the signs like they're sposed to. Thoughtless.

dougstrum

Friend of Leo's
If you live in the country and drive at night, it's almost inevitable that you will hit one. I actually hit two on a rainy night 😒
It seems mid to late winter the get a little crazy, probably due to mating season.

Flat6Driver

Poster Extraordinaire
My mother called the cops about a hit dear who wasn't dead yet, and the Colorado State Patrol came out and the trooper closed his eyes while trying to shoot it from ten feet away, missed, and she shamed him back into his car and down the hill. (mountain road)
I drove over and killed it, skinned it out and cut it up. Free meat for the winter after a call to CPW.
LOL. I was expecting to read your mom using the shotgun on it herself.

Junkyard Dog

Friend of Leo's
My mother called the cops about a hit deer who wasn't dead yet, and the Colorado State Patrol came out and the trooper closed his eyes while trying to shoot it from ten feet away, missed, and she shamed him back into his car and down the hill. (mountain road)

It is interesting to read about how different states treat road kill...or in this case road wounded. I read in Ohio (maybe was Illinois) it's basically like first come, first served, throw it in your trunk. No requirement for police or DNR to be involved, and I'm not even sure if you have to report it.

Here in Maryland, it's a bit regulated and you have to get some sort of confirmation from the DNR before moving the deer. Similar to the hunting requirements for tagging a big game animal before moving it.

Flat6Driver

Poster Extraordinaire
It is interesting to read about how different states treat road kill...or in this case road wounded. I read in Ohio (maybe was Illinois) it's basically like first come, first served, throw it in your trunk. No requirement for police or DNR to be involved, and I'm not even sure if you have to report it.

Here in Maryland, it's a bit regulated and you have to get some sort of confirmation from the DNR before moving the deer. Similar to the hunting requirements for tagging a big game animal before moving it.
I'm honestly not sure what the deal is here in Virginia. Like I said, last time I saw this, the cop took the shot gun out of her cruiser and took care of it. I was driving my pick up this particular morning so itd fit in the back but I don't have anyone to process a deer for me so the police or anyone else was welcome to it.

Dynaman

TDPRI Member
I live about 25 min drive south of Sydney in suburbia. We live on a peninsula with plenty of green areas around. Last week I was driving though a bushy area and there was a 1m high wallaby (a small kangaroo) in the middle of the road. I stopped and he jumped away.

I also saw one about 5 years ago, there is supposed to be a small colony of them nearby. I guess there is.

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
My dad had one leap over his F150 hood but wasn’t fast enough. It crushed the front pillars and folded the roof into the cab. My dad has never been into seat belts and he claims that saved his life because he was able to lay down in the cab to avoid the crushed roof. Could be BS but I saw that folded truck cab.

I had one hit my truck, panic spun and hit me again!

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Forget deer. They got elk here in Oregon as big as a good size horse.

I have to watch out for moose! No this one, though

RpV8j6G.jpg

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
I read the title, "Almost hit a deer," and immediately heard David Crosby singing in my head, "Almost cut my hair..."