Almost done, and bad mistake!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Yonatan, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Yonatan

Yonatan Tele-Meister

Slowly but surely finishing my first parts build. I reassembled the neck and bridge after french polishing the body, now getting ready to mark the holes for the pickguard and control plate.

Partscaster almost done.jpeg

Unfortunately I made a bad mistake: when I screwed the bridge back in, I didn't clean the Z-Poxy out of the holes (it got in during the pore filling), and I guess that's what led to the wood bulging up and even almost cracking in one place!

Naturally I freaked out, but I very carefully filed down the bulges and polished the surrounding areas.

Disaster averted.

But just out of curiosity, once Z-Poxy did get into the holes, how should I have proceeded? Drilled it out before reinstalling the bridge?

(Before filing down)

bridge holes.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  2. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I probably would have used a drill to clean up the holes a little; one that's the correct size for a pilot hole for the particular screws being used. And thanks for the reminder about minding about something like this. Sometimes the simplest things cause bad language and grief!!

Toadtele and rangercaster like this.
  3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

I like to lightly counter sink holes when I drill them, left over from all my metal working days. There would be less tendency for the finish to bulge up like that. I also like to clean finish (and polishing compound) out of holes - just use the same size bit that you originally used, let the screws recut their threads.

rangercaster and Crafty Fox like this.
  4. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

First builds are a learning experience ...
    And the next one you build will benefit ... And the next ... And hopefully many more ... Don't be discouraged !!! Beautiful guitar !!!

5. Bikersluggo

Bikersluggo Tele-Holic

I've started lighting a candle and dripping wax into any holes when i finish to keep water and finishing compound out of the holes. Water from wet sanding will cause similar problems.

6. Yonatan

Yonatan Tele-Meister

Thanks everyone, the tips I learn here are so valuable!

I see it as a learning experience, and luckily the damage in this case is nicely covered by the bridge.
    But the real answer is that it's too late to get discouraged, I'm already planning the next one!

7. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

bad mistake... tsk... hold my beer. personally, as long as it wasn't causing contact issues with the body i'd have left it. probably better contact and it might return to normal given time... but at this point probably doesn't matter. could have filled em with wax while you did the finish or toothpics, or better yet, don't drill 'em till you are done w the finish. I freq use tru oil and purposely let it go into ever hole I can. I never drill after, but then tru oil absorbes. if it had been me I'd have redrilled.

8. Yonatan

Yonatan Tele-Meister

That did cross my mind, but one of them was really pushing the bridge up (plus I was being hasty which I guess is not a good thing)

mistermikev likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.