Almost a Vibrolux Reverb NAD

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Electric Warrior, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Hi TDPRI hive mind,

I have a deposit down on a 1967 blackface Vibrolux Reverb and will pick it up today. I haven't opened it up and feel like I have no real business doing so; I don't trust the people at the store to do it, either. Cosmetically, it seems to be in very nice condition with date codes and serial numbers on all visible components consistent with 66/67. The price is in the market ballpark, and significantly less than any of the BFs listed on Reverb.

A couple of its drawbacks is 1) no footswitch, which is not a big deal, and 2) the speakers are Fender-labeled Utah that are either 67 or 77. Has anyone ever encountered Utahs in VRs specifically? I don't know whether to assume that they are non-original or not. I don't mean that the Utahs sound bad, only that they might not be original.

I am aware that it needs to go to a tech pronto, but any other considerations that I should be aware of?

I appreciate your thoughts.

Old Plank likes this.
  2. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My only suggestion was for a tech, so you already have me covered. I am not sure about the Utahs.

Congrats - pictures and an overview of how it sounds once you have it safe / updated / etc.

Electric Warrior likes this.
  3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I can't think of any Utah 10's in BF or SF amps. Princeton, Super or Vibrolux.
    Are you sure they are Utah not CTS?
    Those may be speakers out of a Fender PA or something like that from the 70's. Be sure to check they are 8 ohms, many of those pa speakers were 16 ohm.

4. Electric Warrior

Here is a pic. The other has an identical code.

IMG_5575.jpeg

5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Boy, they sure look original dont they? Alnicos too. Weird, UTAH alnicos... ya never know what Fender might do.... I'm not sure I've ever seen Utah horse shoe magnet alnicos like that... I've had some good sounding Utah 12's though.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  6. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

If you're in the mid-michigan area I'd be happy to poke it for you :D

7. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Prepare to fall in love with an amp!

dannyh, corliss1 and Electric Warrior like this.
  8. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

What’s not to like? I bought a 64 VR with Weber Blue Pups, which might not be the best speakers to achieve the original sound. The original Oxfords came with it and I was told one was bad. I really should get it fixed, but I’m too lazy.

Mine didn’t come with a foot switch either, but I did buy a vintage correct switch, which sits in a drawer. Maybe I’ll use it one day.

Congratulations on acquiring a fine amp. Get it serviced and rip it!

9. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

The date code sure looks right, 22nd week of 67. I'm assuming that 7 is for 67, not 57 or 77, in 57, Fender used Jensen and in 77 year codes were mostly 2 digits. Fender used a bunch of different speakers after CBS took over in 65, I'm thinking those are OEM. Might be really nice speakers, my favorite Twin Reverb speakers are Radio Shack branded Utahs.

10. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Congrats on a great amp. Got to ask, since you're a fellow Michigander, where did you find the amp? Local?

11. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I don't think I have seen those speakers before either- congrats on a great amp!

12. Electric Warrior

20200805_203118.jpg

Attached Files:

13. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Could they be Oxfords?

14. Electric Warrior

I picked it up at the Kalamazoo Guitar Center. I went there to try an acoustic, saw this, and immediately forgot about the acoustic. It was on police hold at the time. I couldn't resist trying it out; played it for probably 20 minutes and totally lost track of time. I went home and couldn't shake it. The sounds feels like it is coming from deep inside of the amp. I don't really know how else to describe it. It is in very good cosmetic shape, but pretty dusty.

After a few days of Googling VRs and verifying as much as I could, I made the call and put down the deposit. I don't know when I'll have this opportunity again. GC bought it in with a SF Champ and a 70s ES335TD. A widow brought them in and was dumbfounded when she found out how much it was all worth.

It is taking every bit of self-control that I have not to fire this up and go to town. Thanks for your responses, everyone!

@corliss1, I am in mid-Michigan, and I'm betting that we have done plenty of business before. I'll be in touch!

glenlivet likes this.
  15. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

What are the eia code #s on the speakers?

16. Electric Warrior

Edit: Coincidentally, these same speakers have shown up in a new SF VR listing on eBay. So it leads me to believe that they are replacements and '77s.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  17. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Great story, I only hope GC didn’t screw the widow too badly. Also glad you’re on the other side of the mitt, I would have been miffed if I had missed one like that on this side of the state.:);)

18. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Congrats...thats a beauty, an amp for a lifetime. If it sounds as good as you say (and should sound even better after service), leave the Utahs in. I agree with bobbyz, I think by 77 the code had 2 digits, so they may be original or early replacements.

BobbyZ likes this.
  19. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Electric Warrior and D'tar like this.
  20. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Ahh yeah!!!! Welcome to Vibrolux! No need to try and describe for those who have had the pleasure! But please go ahead and try.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.