Alltone 1250 vs GB128 in a SFDR

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mad dog, Sep 6, 2019.

1. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I usually just try stuff. Not sure if I should this time.

Traded into a really sweet '68 SFDR. Came to me with one of the original Alltone 1250s installed. And it does sound really good. A few pre-amp tube changes later, even better. The surprise is, it's noticeably better than the (also excellent) '67 BFDR I had for years. In which I tried many speakers.

I just got a deal on an Emi GB128. Have used this speaker in other cabs, combos, and have always enjoyed it. Question is, should I go to the trouble of swapping it in to try in the '68 DR? Has anyone had experience with both speakers in a DR?

I'm curious, but not sure I could improve on the Alltone. Thanks much!

2. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Holic

When I bought a GB128 I thought it was the same speaker as the Alltone 1250. I tried them both in same cab with a Princeton Reverb, a SCXD and my 6V6 Plexi and they were so similar (allowing for the Alltone being broken in) that I set the Eminence aside for a rainy day (couldn't return it, long story). I currently have the Alltone in a 1x12 cab with my SCXD plugged in most of the time - puts out a great Fender tone. Neither that amp or the speaker has ever sounded better. So I guess what I'm saying is - sure go ahead and try the GB! What's a liitle time spent?

mad dog likes this.
  3. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I have had many but not the Alltone. Reportedly they were pretty sweet. I tried various brits in my DR; GB's, Cremeback, various G12-65 types. They were not my favorites. Although Robben Ford reportedly uses a G12-65 in his DR.

mad dog likes this.
  4. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I have not tried an Alltone 1250, but I can attest to the fact that the Eminence GB128 is a great greenback-style-ish speaker in a SF DR. If you don't mind, why don't you put it in and give it a listen? Then do us the favor of reporting your findings. I'd love to hear what you think about the similarities and differences, and what you prefer.

mad dog likes this.
  5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Alltones are very good speakers . I had a 1045 in a NR Princeton once and it blew my bandmate’s 70’s PR outta the water both tonally and volume-wise. He had a Celestion Vintage 10 in his.

mad dog likes this.
  6. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

That's exactly what I usually do, just try what I have and see. The Alltone is soldered in, which makes it just a little trickier. I don't have a lot of energy these days, so that's part of the reluctance. But you're right. I should get the little press on connectors to make swaps easier, and just do it. Then report back of course ...

7. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

A few hours later ...

Thanks for the nudge Professor. Once I got my dead ass in gear, it was no big deal. Especially as I found a spare speaker wire harness on the parts shelf. I used two teles, one with regular single coils (Don Mare Joel Foy set), the other with 2 P90s. Left both guitars set at a certain volume and tone level. Same went for the amp. Volume 4, treble 6, bass 4.5.

GB128: At 102db spl I figured it would be quite a bit louder than the Alltone. Louder yes, but not by much. Very even balance low to high. Nothing really pops out. The low end is not more prominent, so much as it is a bit more defined, or detailed, than the Alltone. This speaker sounded quite good. I could be happy with it in this DR. Except that it had a somewhat harder sound, for lack of a better description. Maybe the bigger, heavier magnet? Not sure why. I didn't test at higher volumes, but would certainly expect this speaker to break up a bit later than the Alltone.

Alltone 1250: 98db spl, yet it was only a bit quieter than the GB128. The key difference with this speaker is the warmth. It has a little bit extra in the mids. Not a prominent spike as in some of the Brit voiced speakers. Just enough extra fat that it fills in that BF/SF scoop a bit. I don't mean "warm" as in less bright. Both speakers seem equivalent in brightness. Just that the Alltone has a smoother, warmer edge as the volume goes up. Doesn't have a hardness to the sound. More pleasing to the ear. This speaker too is well balanced. Not lacking in bass, matches up well with the high end.

Not any kind of rigorous test at all. I wouldn't generalize from this experience. At least with this SFDR, the Alltone is the clear winner. It's back in now and won't be coming out. Too good to mess with further.

theprofessor and wabashslim like this.
  8. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Holic

Just remembered that some years ago I tested my Alltone in a DRRI against a couple others and recorded it. I think the others were the C12K original and a hi-power Weber Chicago. I remember the Alltone sounded pretty scooped & clean while the Weber was much more middy but also fizzy even at clean volumes - it was just reconed by Weber from a Thames (which was horrible) so no break-in time. Those soundclips exist somewhere, I hope to dig 'em up.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  9. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I had an original Alltone 12" in a 1968/69 SF DR years ago, I had tried a lot of different speakers in that amp,IME the Alltone was the best sounding. They started making them again I think but I've read that the newer Alltone speakers sound different.
    I tried an Eminence GB128 some time later in a different DR, it was good but different to my ears.

mad dog likes this.
  10. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the report, mad dog! Sounds like the Alltone 1250 is a winner!

11. Clinchriver

Clinchriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have a GB128 in my 1972 Silverface Deluxe Reverb. Love it! All the clean you expect, and anything over 5 on the volume is magic, really growls when you hit it.

mad dog likes this.
  12. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

GB128 is my favorite speaker.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.