Allright I'm still amp searching.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Red Planet, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

I ran across a 1965 one owner Fender Tremolux head with the origional matching cab. I think its a pretty good deal. What do yall think of this amp with a Tele?

All the Reverb Amps of this vintage are through the roof price wise. I was talking about maybe getting a Bassman Head cause they are cheap but this one aint a bad deal.

2. JDO

JDO Tele-Holic

i absolutely love that amp. it's what i have to play bigger places. the non'verbs don't get all the breakup that that the 'verb types do but all that can be changed. you could put a set of NOS 5881's rather than the 6l6's. if that doesn't do it enough for you you could change the 12at7 phase inverter to a 12ax7. plus, both channels are in phase so you can jumper them for a thicker sound. and if you need 'verb you could get a holy grail pedal. or (something i want to try whenever i get the money) i've heard of some plugging into input one with the guitar, then running a guitar cable from input two to a stand alone reverb unit in. then from the reverb unit out to input one of the other channel.

anyway, the sky is the limit with this amp. i've thought a few times about selling it whenever money was tight (like now) but i look for anything else i can get rid off. if i have my way, i'll pass that amp onto my kids. obviously, i don't think you can go wrong with it.

3. Big Cookie

Big Cookie RIP

I usually go against prevailing opinion

I'm the guy that loves the non reverb amps. They have a sweetness that the verbed brothers just can't seem to get. Jumpering increases fatness and Tremo's are just a great overall amp.

4. Tim Swartz

Tim Swartz Friend of Leo's

These also have a fatter/sweeter sound than the other BF heads; Bandmaster, Bassman, Showman, Dual-Showman.

5. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

Thanx guys I may go after this one. I'm negotiating with the guy about it right now. I'll let you know how it turns out.

6. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

ARRRRGGGGHHHH!

I was going to get the thing had nailed out a price on the Phone and somebody went and got it before I could get there.

I guess it wasnt ment to be. This was a deal and I missed it. :(

Oh well there are lots bigger problems in the world. Just have to keep my eyes pealed but this one was local .

BBOOOOOHHHHHHOOOO :oops:

7. Skydog

Skydog Tele-Meister

BF Tremolux . . .

Tremolux are always around and available. I have a blond '63 (stock down to the AC cord) ..what great BF tone. Excellent for Rickenbacker too (Byrds)!

8. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

Yeah but this was local and head and cab and I could afford it. I'm eyeballing one on Fleybay now but its just the head. I just feel funny about buying and old tube amp off there and shipping it. I've seen first hand what shipping can do.

Usually when you find one local it has a rediculous price on it. But maybe I should just keep looking locally.

9. Skydog

Skydog Tele-Meister

Tremolux . . .

Price is one thing (wait for a crankin' deal) ..but as far as shipping, I've gotten lots, all shipped perfectly fine.

10. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

Riddle me this is a late model Fender Prosonic amp a Fender Custom Shop amp?

Are they PTP , PCB with wires or PCB with no wires.

11. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

Just put a bid on one. Keeping my fingers crossed it has 2 hours left on it but I got to get in the bed. If its ment to be I'll win it.

12. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

Didnt get it got beat out but sleep was more important.

13. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

Well things have a way of working out. Thats why I wasnt to bent out of shape.

I went into my buddys store today he had this 68 Fender Pro Reverb 2x12 combo that was a Silverface that had been profesionally Blackfaced. Meaning inside and out. Electronics Blackfaced , Face Plate changed, Grill Cloth Changed, NOS Tubes, and Fully Serviced by Jeff Andrews.It looks great and sounds great. All I care about is the sound I dont care what color it is.

I had played this thing before and thats what got me started on this Fender Amp Kick to start with. Anyway my buddy who owns the store knew I wanted it and worked a deal out with me (He's so nice). I'm even gonna get to keep my prised Celestion G12H30's which are in the Boogie I'm getting rid of.

The only thing I dont like about the amp is the Alnico speakers tend to fart out when you crank it. I'm gonna stick those Celestions in it to go agaisnt the grain a little. I think they will sound great in that amp. I cant wate till I pick it up. Plus I've got a new Tele on the way to go with my other Tele I just Bought. Man I'm like a kid on Christmas Morning!

14. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats man, sounds like you're really getting yourself set up there. And a Purple Tele to boot... You will be keeping that guitar totally stock, right? Wait, don't answer that, I know you... :eek:

Let me know what you think of Jeff A's work. He has several of my amps right now for service & minor repairs. This is my first business with him, but he does get high recommendations from some folks I trust.

Yeah, if you're used to the tight bass response of ceramics, the alnicos will probably feel a bit farty, & they generally compress quicker. On the flip side, I like the way alnicos merge with the gainier tones better... sometimes ceramics can sound a bit harsh & raspy in the upper mids & highs when you pour the gain to 'em, to me anyway... the ol' give & take I suppose. You might try mixing one of each for a possible best of both worlds, just for grins & giggles.

15. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

Howdy thanks for the info.

Jeff Andrews is the best I've ever worked with and you know I've used evrybody in this area. From Logical Audio to Wizards, to Jeff Bakos to that CTS (or whatever) place.

Andrews goes the extra Mile and really cares about your amp and what sound you want plus hes not exspensive. He took my Reissue Marshall Plexi and turned it into a Freakin Tone Machine. That amp was like crap when I got it and it was factory stock. He worked his magic on that one and WOW you should hear this thing.

I've got and old saying I change gear like I change underwear Once a week wether I need it or not, but that amp has been with me for a couple of years now and it aint going anywhere.

You would not believe the Tonal Character of it. It dosent matter what kind of guitar you plug in it. They all sound great and extremely touch sensitive.

In a nut shell he is a great friend to have. You should check out one of his buddys and mine Kerry Marchman.
    He owns Too Many Guitars in Tucker. You will not meet a more honest, decent , and trustworthy guy. He is the best. He really cares about all our gear quest and he dosnt believe in ripping everybody off. He allways wants to make just a little money on every deal. I dont know how he stays in business.

16. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

I stand corrected my Buddy at TMG says youve made it by there. Great guy.

We went to see Ted Nugent and ZZ Top last time they were through. It was Keeelller! I love ZZ Top (who dont)
    but ol Nugent put on a show and a half.He shot an arrow through Sadams Heart at the end. COOOOOOLLL!

17. Tim Bowen

To be honest, the reason I started looking into Too Many Guitars at first was for convenience. The shop isn't far from my house, & the idea of having one place where I could get quality work done on both guitars and amps is a luxury I've never really had before.

I've known Kerry less than a month, but it seems more like 20 years. You're absolutely right, he's a Prince. The guy treats me like royalty when I come into his shop. I bought a guitar this past weekend, but it had a few issues... I took it by Kerry's yesterday for a pro opinion... he had a shop full of folks, phone ringing off the hook the whole time, & yet he spent well over an hour with me, tweaking the guitar, watching me play it, tweaking it some more. Ultimately we decided the instrument was not a good fit for me & needed to be returned to where I bought it. I tried to offer him some cash twice for his time & valuable assessment, but he had no interest in taking it. He just finished working on my SG, Les Paul Special, '52 RI Tele, & Larrivee D-03, & they're better instruments than they were before. Right now he's got my Rickenbacker 360 12 string... if you've ever played Ric 12's, you know that most of them are just a bear to pick up & play. I know there's only so much he can do with it, but it'll be interesting to see what he does with it.

Good to hear the great report on Jeff's work. He seems like a super cool guy as well, & really knows his stuff. Can't wait to hear my amps after he's done tweakin' 'em.

Pretty impressed with that shop so far, & I don't even have to drive into the city.

18. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

Cool sounds good. Seems like your like me youve found someone who cares for a change and not just someone who wants to take your money. I swear though I dont know how he stays in business. I'd like to do something nice for him but havent figured it ou yet. Maybe I just need to take him to lunch. Of coarse I did take him to the concert. I dont know if I had the money I'd buy him a 59 Les Paul. Of coarse I dont but I would like to do something nice for him.

Looks like when you were in there I just missed you.Give me a call next time your going by and I'll slide over there. I work in Tucker allmost every day. Some days I'm elsewhere but my office is in Tucker so I'm there more.My cell is 678-725-5939.

19. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

And for those who want to know. The new supposed Mullard copy GT is selling are made in China.

20. Tim Bowen

Cool, I'll yell at you next time I'm over that way.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.