Allparts TMO FAT neck tuners

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Dave1968, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Dave1968

Dave1968 TDPRI Member

Hi!

I've took the plunge and purchased a Allparts TMO FAT neck at long last. The RS Guitarworks 'Tele Modern Wiring Kit' i've had brand new in the box some 2yrs+ made me think I need to address this serious issue..

So, a partscaster is in the making. I like the look of the Nocaster tuners:

[​IMG]

Are they Klusons? I seem to remember on my old pc saving Nocaster and '52 RI specs but having trouble tracking them down. The old pc is no more.

What have you got, what do you recommend, Grovers, Schallers etc

I definitely want this look:

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance!:neutral:

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Those are Gotoh TK 0880s.

They have been aged in some way of course.

We call these "klusons" the way one calls a copy a xerox. One outfit now own this Kluson name and they make another, somewhat similar model but IMO the Gotohs are the way to go. The guts are way better, and the diameters of all the parts are considered standard by the higher end guys. Fender Custom Shop thinks so;

[​IMG]

so do most of the guys building stuff like this.

The Ping and Kluson interpretations of this design have some different bore diameters, post diameters and so forth requiring some conversion bushings or reboring of the maple. I've done at least a dozen TMO, TRO etcs., and the Gotoh parts are just so perfectly matched.

3. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I agree, go with the Gotohs...

4. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

Klusons aren't really Klusons anymore. WD now owns the trademark, and licenses it to TonePros. Gotohs are generally regarded as the best modern versions of the Klusons of old, and they are supposedly what the Custom Shop uses.

(Wow, you guys are fast! There were no replies yet when I started typing.)

5. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

I love how Allparts double drills the tuner holes so that the shaft is supported/well coupled with the neck.

6. Hack On Wheels

Hack On Wheels Tele-Meister

Wow, great info! Are the Gotoh bushings for their "kluson" style tuners compatible with the Fender "kluson" style tuners?

7. boris bubbanov

If the Fender guitar is a made in USA vintage tunered one, yes.

Also, the Jimmie Vaughan MIM Strat uses this standard - all one and the same.

And the MIM Classic Players 50s uses a locking version of the TK 0880 and is all interchangeable.

But as for the rest of the split shaft MIM Fenders, they all use a "Ping" manufactured tuner which not bad at all, but all the ODs and IDs of all the parts are different. The WD/Tonepros "Klusons" are more in common with the Pings but are different in many ways, still.

If I never intended to do anything but buy MIMs with Ping splits, and replace tuners as need, I might do the WD/Tonepros "Klusons". But if you are assembling any of the aftermarket necks, the Gotoh is the best choice. Even on Mighty Mite, use Gotoh splits but use a conversion bushing; 10.5 mm I think. And if you are converting any Fender brand neck that began with die casts, again do the Gotoh TK 0880 but use a 10.0 mm conversion bush.

8. Dave1968

Dave1968 TDPRI Member

Thanks everyone, Gotoh are the ones!! I knew to ask the people who know will guide me through!!:D

I've sourced Gotoh 6 In Line Vintage Tuners (below) for £39.99:

[​IMG]

Judging whats been said so far I'm thinking I won't need to drill, these will fit perfect!?

Thanks everyone, really appreciate your help!!!

9. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Dave, I think that is the locking version-is that what you want? The slotted ones would be cheaper and look more vintage correct.

10. Dave1968

Dave1968 TDPRI Member

Thanks for pointing that out to me. I do not want the locking ones, or do I ? What is the general consensus??

The pic was not from the seller, my mistake.

Here is the link with non-locking as far as I can see:

http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/product/6_In_Line_Vintage_Style_Tuners_SD91-05MN

Many thanks!!

11. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

I personally wouldn't do lockers. I really like the Gotoh staggered post set a lot. The regular Gotoh Kluson copies are cheaper and easier to find though.

12. boris bubbanov

Dave, the Allparts dealers in the UK are your logical first choice here.

And in their catalogs the term "TK 0880" will mean you get the right thing.

I think that is weird: "WD" in the UK selling the competitors product (Gotoh). I just occurs to me that it is possible WD does not own the rights to the "Kluson" name in the UK. What a mess that all is.

13. Dave1968

Dave1968 TDPRI Member

Boris, many thanks for that, that really helps me out alot!

It is weird i guess, perhaps they are the distribution rep for Kluson!? Strange indeed.

I did have the Nocaster and '52 RI full specs with parts numbers off the Fender site approx 2yrs ago when i was starting my 'Partscaster'. I looked last night briefly and I couldn't find them. I'll have to start up the 'clockwork pc' that takes a eternity to fire up for reference.

http://www.allparts.uk.com/online-shop/guitar-bass-parts/tuning-keys/guitar/6-in-line-keys/gotoh-tuning-keys-vintage-style-6-in-line-3-p-1826.html

Gotcha!! Bought them:cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.