1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Allparts saddles

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by HBamps, Mar 18, 2010.

1. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

I just put together my second partsocaster. It's a MJT body and neck with fender pat. pending bridge. I choose the Allparts compensated saddles and after setting it up, it looks like the saddles are cast.

Anyone have any experience with these? Any opinion? I am thinking that Callaham, Glendale, or even Stewmac will be better than these.

Thanks!

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I don't think they are.

I think they just took brass rod, drilled 3 holes and tapped those holes to metric threading, cut them to length and polished them. Now, what grade of brass (how much lead, etc.) I can't say. I think they sound better than a Wilky-Sung Il saddle and certainly better than a stock Highway One saddle, but my main beef with them is the height hardware intrudes way too much into the zone where the strings need to be - the distance between the two height screws is desperately narrow.

If I were buying separately, I think I'd buy 3 sets of the Stew Macs. I do like those better, and even rebored for 6-32 they work nice (although on some batches the spring ID will be too small for a 6-32 machine screw - check it first). Not gonna buy 3 sets? If your guitar sets up low, get the Callahams (the Budz might be good, too). If the guitar sets up very high, get the Glendales or the Rutters.

3. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

Thanks Boris. I have used the Stewmacs and they worked great on my other guitar. The reason I thought they were cast is that they have an intentional dimple in the middle of them. Why would that be there if machined?

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

If I remember right, the dimple is to allow you to remember which side of the saddle is "UP" on the middle (backwards slant) saddle. If you use this brand of saddle on a Lefty guitar, the outboard saddles would both show a dimple when you look upon the guitar, properly assembled.

These Allparts have a more subtle amount of slant and are interchangeable/reversible, where the Bardens and Glendales and Callahams are not.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.