Allen wrenches for saddle height set screws

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by yegbert, Sep 2, 2021.

Tags:
  1. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Being they are easy to turn, you can file down cheap (like advertisement give-a-ways) screwdrivers to fit in the hex.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  2. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

I bought a dozen each of the 1.5mm and the .050” Allen wrenches. Inspired by the painted markings I remember my dad using, and Craftsman screw driver handles I have that are blue (Philips) or red (slotted), and two Allen wrench sets I have with blue (metric) and red (SAE) handles; I spray painted a middle of these. Now they are like this:

FE2A329B-339A-4E6F-94FF-160EF08464C4.jpeg

To achieve this efficiently, I used blue painters tape on a couple of old hangers to spray them in bulk, like this:

E8FACF3D-8FF1-4327-B784-F7B6C5AE6A3B.jpeg

I think it might be just a tad easier now, to distinguish the two in the top little tray in my toolbox.

LutherBurger and Lost_N_Austin like this.
  3. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

Here are a couple of ideas to keep track of your two most common Allen wrenches.

Drill a hole down the center of a section of wooden dowel rod and epoxy the wrench in place. Also keep a piece of sponge that will hold the very small tools separate from the collected mass of duplicate or alternate sizes.
    IMG_8950.JPG

IMG_8951.JPG

That blue and red paint is a good idea and could be applied to the wooden dowel.

Lost_N_Austin

FYI The Allen wrench was introduced in around 1910 and were offered by the Allen Manufacturing Company for their hexagonal set screws.

yegbert likes this.
  4. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

5. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

D4780A09-AB0D-4803-A064-5AC0DAF79FE2.jpeg

It’s just a few. But if you have some of both SAE and metric hex head saddle height set screws, and appreciate the idea enough to want one of each free (red SAE .050” and blue metric 1.5 mm); shoot me a pm with a US postal address for you. I’ll put the two in a ziploc and envelope, and mail them.

6. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

Pretty much any Hardware store (not big box) worth its salt sells individuals both in metric and SAE. You can find them in the fasteners section in the little pull-out drawers.

7. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire

I probably have 4-5 sets each of both metric, SAE, and TORX. The ones I use frequently, I buy singles with screwdriver-type handles on them and keep them right where I can find them. I also save the plastic hang tags that many singles come on and replace the tool in the hang tag because there are no markings on the small wrenches.

I still have trouble finding them when I need them, but that is life.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.