allen key storage

notmyusualuserid

Friend of Leo's
20220416-141511.jpg

There's a metric set in there somewhere too.

televillian

Tele-Afflicted
"A place for everything, and everything in it's place."

(My grandfather was a machinist)

So yeh, replace that Styrofoam! (maybe cork would last longer)

Yes, I have full sets of SAE and Metric in my toolbag, in holders, so I can see if one's missing. (I was brought up properly)

I also have a full set of tools in each guitar case, just in case. (I'm a musician with ADD)

And there's a wrench here on my desk that I was obviously using, on what I don't remember....
none are missing from my sets, so into the Box of Ls it goes. :p
I had a good friend that was a retired machinist. most organized person I ever knew. never saw him hunt for a tool, he knew exactly where everything was.

Ted Keane

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
How do you store your allen keys?I have a couple of sets,but all the ones that somehow end up on my workbench I would stick in a block of styrofoam.But thats falling apart.And those are the keys I don't want to search for.

Attachments

• 20220419_133347.jpg
    20220419_133347.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 12

joe.attaboy

Tele-Meister
How do you store your allen keys?I have a couple of sets,but all the ones that somehow end up on my workbench I would stick in a block of styrofoam.But thats falling apart.And those are the keys I don't want to search for.
Cigar box.

I also have one for drill bits, other guitar stuff (winders, picks, small rulers, etc), you name it. Probably means I smoke too many cigars.

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
I just leave mine laying out on my workstation so they're accessible when I need them. Haven't lost anything in over 2 years, since I bought my 1st guitar in Dec 2019.

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I just accumulate guitar sized keys from bridge/neck/guitar purchases... doubles/triples of the same sizes... US /metric...

not sure if I have too many other size ones... I'm sure I have some larger ones floating around in old tool boxes for car/bike stuff...

they live on my table here where I do most of my fine adjustments...

Allen Keys.JPG

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
I keep seeing this thread title and its gone to three pages but I have to jump in. Allen wrenches are just one of many tools that I use in my shop on a daily basis. All of my tools have a storage space in my shop and they get put away when I am done with them. Figure out something that works in your shop and do it.

Ted Keane

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I keep seeing this thread title and its gone to three pages but I have to jump in. Allen wrenches are just one of many tools that I use in my shop on a daily basis. All of my tools have a storage space in my shop and they get put away when I am done with them. Figure out something that works in your shop and do it.
Sorry that it bothered you.I'm a retired plumber,motorcycle rider,bicycle racer and mechanic,among other trades.I have many metric and not metric allen keys that are all in order,in the packages that they came in,with size listed.Long,short,customized,w&w/o T handles,ect.They are all there,nice and neat.I was asking about the keys you just accumulate with things you buy.Again,I'm sorry to have gotten you upset.I was looking for,as you say,to figure out something and do it.I wanted some ideas.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
How you store any tool(s) should be based on how you use them.

For L-shaped hex wrenches...if you occasionally use them, in a drawer is fine.

If you use them a lot, out and within reach is best. Cut a small block from a TwoBeFour and drill a series of blind holes in it. Store your wrenches in that. Makes it a breeze to grab the one you need in about a second. Add a chamfer (use countersink bit) to each hole to make replacing them in the block a cinch.

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
Sorry that it bothered you.I'm a retired plumber,motorcycle rider,bicycle racer and mechanic,among other trades.I have many metric and not metric allen keys that are all in order,in the packages that they came in,with size listed.Long,short,customized,w&w/o T handles,ect.They are all there,nice and neat.I was asking about the keys you just accumulate with things you buy.Again,I'm sorry to have gotten you upset.I was looking for,as you say,to figure out something and do it.I wanted some ideas.
I'm not the bit bothered, I just think we each work out whatever system works for us. Ironically I also am retired, work on cars and motorcycles, used to build and race bicycles. I have accumulated a bunch of allen wrenches of various sizes over the years. I just walked out into the shop and pulled the allen wrench drawer of my tool box open and took a picture. The roll up on top is a set of SAE wrench with a screwdriver style handle - they are very useful. The wood handled one is also useful - it is the allen head bolt that I use on acoustic guitar necks - I like to be able to reach inside a sound hole and tighten those bolts

IMG_7419.JPG

I will admit that the two plastic pouches on the left hold loose metric and SAE wenches including some fairly large sizes - if I want one of them I have to sort thru them. The folding style was a Harley tool - it fits the allen and torks head bolt on an American motorcycle. The star shaped one is a metric bicycle tool. Torks and allen sockets at the top. Lower right are metric and SAE wrenches in their little plastic holders (with size marked) - when I want one I take it out, then put it away when I'm done.

Last edited:

Ted Keane

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I'm not the bit bothered, I just think we each work out whatever system works for us. Ironically I also am retired, work on cars and motorcycles, used to build and race bicycles. I have accumulated a bunch of allen wrenches of various sizes over the years. I just walked out into the shop and pulled the allen wrench drawer of my tool box open and took a picture. The roll up on top is a set of SAE wrench with a screwdriver style handle - they are very useful. The wood handled one is also useful - it is the allen head bolt that I use on acoustic guitar necks - I like to be able to reach inside a sound hole and tighten those bolts

View attachment 975639

I will admit that the two plastic pouches on the left hold loose metric and SAE wenches including some fairly large sizes - if I want one of them I have to sort thru them. The folding style was a Harley tool - it fits the allen and torks head bolt on an American motorcycle. The star shaped one is a metric bicycle tool. Torks and allen sockets at the top. Lower right are metric and SAE wrenches in their little plastic holders (with size marked) - when I want one I take it out, then put it away when I'm done.
Nice toolbox.

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire
The OP qualified his post with a statement about not having to look for his Allen wrenches. Some folks coming here may not be serious techs, have a professional shop, or work on guitars on a daily basis. I hope the TDPRI can stay a welcoming forum for guitar lovers of all speeds.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I have several sets , keep them in their container ( that foldable thing ) in use are tamperproof torx regular torx , hex, and have small set for guitars , (the orinial sets that came with guitars are stored in the envelope i got with my 78 strat ) and all others ( Spares) are stored in a set bag i got with a craftman' set. there is a wallrack for my metric/imperial T handle hex set as well. As stated a place for everything

Vizcaster

Poster Extraordinaire
I drilled a hole in the back end of the handle on a very small flat head screwdriver and epoxied the straight part of the shank of an .050" allen wrench for MIA strat saddle height adjustment screws. the rest are in an Altoids box like other posters.

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
I went a bit crazy last week. The handle to the back storm door (glass/screen door) came off in my hand. It has a small allen set-screw...for which nothing in my inventory of Allen wrenches actually fit. Of course, I was missing that particular size as both metric and imperial sets had a few empty storage holes. Heck, I couldn't even find my imperial set. I have multiple tool-boxes for various disciplines (bikes, cars, household, etc.). Nope, nothing nowhere. I'm missing a labeling machine too, if anyone sees it please let me know.

So...off to Harbor Freight. Bought both sets (that store in a plastic thingy, pretty compact)...and a grinder stand somehow jumped into my basket.

Turns out that neither metric or imperial actually fit the stupid door handle...but I was able to get it tight enough. Do they make Whitworth allen keys? :rolleyes:

And, of course, after 50 yrs I mounted my Dad's old grinder to the new (and very heavily built) stand. Plugged it in and it promptly fried itself. I guess being properly treated did it in. Time for an upgrade! Ooooo...low speed grinders...😍