allen key storage

Ted Keane

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
How do you store your allen keys?I have a couple of sets,but all the ones that somehow end up on my workbench I would stick in a block of styrofoam.But thats falling apart.And those are the keys I don't want to search for.

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
I have sets (metric and… the other one), each in their little holders, sorted by size, and those live in my toolbox.

I also have extras of every one that one of my guitars might need (mostly ones that came with the guitars), and those live in a repurposed Altoids tin that holds my little “emergency guitar tool kit” (Allen keys, small screwdrivers, string winder, 9v battery, picks… anything that might derail a jam by my not having it with me). That also lives in my toolbox until it gets thrown in whatever guitar case or gig bag I’m taking with me.

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a flat plastic compartmentalised box which lives in my gig bag: spare batteries, slides, nut spanner, screwdriver, plectrums (picks) -- and all the Allen keys I need for any part of any of my guitars.

Of course if I lose that I'm hosed...😀

Swirling Snow

Tele-Meister
"A place for everything, and everything in it's place."

(My grandfather was a machinist)

So yeh, replace that Styrofoam! (maybe cork would last longer)

Yes, I have full sets of SAE and Metric in my toolbag, in holders, so I can see if one's missing. (I was brought up properly)

I also have a full set of tools in each guitar case, just in case. (I'm a musician with ADD)

And there's a wrench here on my desk that I was obviously using, on what I don't remember....
none are missing from my sets, so into the Box of Ls it goes. :p

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
For the loose ones I use an Altoids tin and inside that a Listerine breath strips case for the really small ones.

Attachments

• IMG_2771.jpg
    IMG_2771.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 27

phart

TDPRI Member
Just get one of those holders that screws to the back of your headstock. $2 on Amazon and you’ll never have to look for Allen wrenches again. I have one on my Floyd Rose guitar and even one on my lap steel for adjusting my benders!

wevard

TDPRI Member
Swiss tools come with a plastic holder. Maybe you can find one like this one

Attachments

• 5F131B85-C21F-4F42-8441-9B95DA7D1E7B.jpeg
    5F131B85-C21F-4F42-8441-9B95DA7D1E7B.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 13

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
In the gig bags they reside with the "case candy" in a quart size ziplock in one of the zippered pouches.

In a hard shell case. The same thing goes in the accessory compartment.

I usually carry extras in my larger zippered accessory bag. Again, usually in a ziplock bag.

I have sets in my tool box that slid into plastic holders plus some that fold up.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
How do you store your allen keys?I have a couple of sets,but all the ones that somehow end up on my workbench I would stick in a block of styrofoam.But thats falling apart.And those are the keys I don't want to search for.
swap the styrofoam with a chunk of maple 4x4 if you want them on the bench, or just designate a drawer for the hex's.