1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Allen key sizes for Squier CVC Tele saddles and truss rod

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by yomutha, Oct 30, 2020.

1. yomutha

yomutha TDPRI Member

Hola. Been lurking a while.

I recently switched from a G&L Tribute ASAT Classic LE to a Squier CVC Tele (thank goodness), and I ran into some tool compatibility issues. After much frustrating online research that took me down quite a few wrong paths, I decided to write this post in hopes that, when others like me input the search words along lines of Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster allen keys, etc., they will come across my info and not waste time and money any more than they have to as I had done.

So without further ado...

My CVC (circa 2017) requires a 3/16 allen key for the truss rod and a 1/16 key for the saddle screws.

SAE only; not metric--which is kind of odd, since the Tribute ASAT used metric.

That was my PSA to all the CV newbs out there. Thanks for your time.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    68Telebass and bls82261 like this.
  2. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Welcome- thanks for the info!!
    What did you not like about the ASAT?? I was looking at them, lots of folks like them- but definitely “not” a Tele. Is it the feel, sound/pickups, or both??

3. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

ASAT am awesome. Yes, I be G&L acolyte.

68Telebass likes this.
  4. yomutha

yomutha TDPRI Member

now that i have a tele--albeit a squier--to compare, i can say for certain that my ASAT def did not sound like a tele. it seemed to lack that signature twang and attack. and of course, i hated the headstock!

also, the limited edition tag, i think, is just a euphemism for "low-end," because it seemed to feel like a squier affinity/bullet (but for nearly the price of a CV). i've a feeling the standard tribute ASATs are of much better quality.

68Telebass likes this.
  5. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You're probably correct about Tribute limited editions.

I have a Tribute ASAT Special that is top notch, but my Tribute ASAT Classic is less special. It looks beautiful but it was an MF Stupid Deal of the Day, and I'm pretty sure the pick-ups are non-US, unlike most Tributes. It's a great $300 guitar but my Squier Affinity is a better $200 guitar!

6. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

I played an ASAT in the store yesterday and it had a fret that left several cuts on my hand. I was like, wtf? It was sharp as a razor and stuck out pretty good.

7. BUG80

BUG80 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'm surprised, I thought the CV line used metric? I'm pretty sure my '50s BSB from ~2013 needs metric allen key sizes.

8. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

Also, I think all three of my overseas made Squiers/Fender are 3/16" truss rod and 1/16" saddles. Not metric from what I can tell from doing set ups on them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.