Allen Encore question?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Wallaby, May 24, 2021.

1. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

Just a curious question for Allen Encore owners - have you ever run it with 6V6's ?

If you did, how was it?

For some reason I've been tube amp Gassing lately and I started wondering.

Thanks!

2. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

Checking in, still wondering. It's such a specific question it's easy to overlook.

Happy Wednesday!

3. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I read this as Alien Encore and figured Ridley Scott was up to something creepy again.

Wallaby and Marc Morfei like this.
  4. Lochry

Lochry Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I built one 12-15 years ago. Great amp! Sold it to local
    blues band. I preferred 6L6s in it although 6v6s sounded fine. I did not notice a big difference between them - not enough to consider swapping tubes to be a “feature” that distinguished the amp.

mad dog and Wallaby like this.
  5. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

I had an Allen Accomplice with a 2-10" cab and the same transformers as the Encore. Nice amp.
    I liked Copperheads and 6L6s.
    You can run 6v6s and a 5y3 for lower output. Nice, but I preferred 6L6s with a GZ34.

King

Wallaby likes this.
  6. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

If I might ask, what did you think of the build process, and are you and experienced amp builder? I am not, although I am good at soldering and following precise, detailed instructions. I wind pickups, rewire guitars, and do a lot of hand-tool woodworking FWIW, as well as guitar fret L&C's and setups.

I'm considering both building a kit or just purchasing one. The Encore has all the features I've always considered "standard" for a tube amp, with the addition of the Raw control which seems interesting. I think I would prefer a Presence or NF lift instead, but it seems interesting and folks say a little Raw goes a long way. Anecdotally, on the 'Net.

In either case I'd choose the standard spec transformer, rather than the larger one. I'm not concerned with resale, that would get in the way of this one room in my house I've been slowly filling with unused gear.

My reason for wondering about 6v6 power amp tubes is that I'd like to limit overall volume somehow, and using 6v6's seems like the least tone-affecting. Or at least I like 6v6 amps, so the effect on tone would probably be something I like.

My favorite amps I've owned were a silver face Twin and a silver face Deluxe. Which I stupidly let get away. The Twin was less-loved due to its bulk, but it sounded great, and withstood a LOT of abuse in the trunk of my car.

The Encore seems like a good option, but I'm open to suggestions.

7. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had an Encore, great amp. I personally liked it better with the GZ34 and 5881s or 6L6s than with the 5Y3 and 6V6s - as King says above, the difference between the two is not huge. With 6v6s it'll break up a bit sooner, with 5881s or 6L6s it'll have slightly more headroom and slightly tighter bass response.

I very highly recommend this amp for people who want a Blackface Vibrolux based amp with more features than the originals - the raw control and the master volume allow you to pick your volume level and the type and amount of breakup, which you can't do at all with a Vibrolux. You won't need an attenuator, and regardless of which output tubes you use, it'll sound good at both low and high volume.

It's got the brown Vibrolux tremolo circuit, and a three knob reverb. If you want it more for clean headroom, get the TO40MT output transformer. If you want more Rolling Stones flavored breakup get the TO35MT output transformer which has a little less headroom, and gets a little dirtier, which I personally favor.

8. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

The build process is about as easy and straightforward as you are going to find.
    Allen had great instructions and support should you need it.
    Sounds to me like you are 'handy' enough to build the amp without problems.
    Take your time and double check everything.
    Read the instructions and follow them exactly.
    My first amp build was an Allen Accomplice from ~2001. I didn't have any trouble at all, but I was kind of slow due to taking extra care.
    Build a lightbulb limiter. (Google for instructions.)
    You will need the tools Allen lists on his website.

King

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    Wallaby likes this.
  9. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

David Allen does beautiful builds, so there's that. If you want to build it yourself, the Accomplice Jr. kit I just built had detailed, clear, easy-to-follow instructions, if you are careful you will end up with a fine amplifier. The components were top quality and his design and layout are optimized to make an extremely quiet amp.

I have played through an Allen Old Flame which was the predecessor to the Encore, and liked it very much.

I couldn't be happier with my Accomplice Jr. -- it sounds like the best Blackface Fender with the addition of the Raw control and excellent Master Volume, which makes the amp much more usable and versatile than your classic designs. I picked the Accomplice Jr. over the Encore just to keep the weight down. I am at the age where gravity and I have agreed to disagree.

Wallaby and kingofdogs1950 like this.
  10. Cheecharron

Cheecharron TDPRI Member

I’ve got a 2x10 Allen Encore that I picked up used, albeit in excellent condition, about 4 years ago. The prior owner hung onto the NOS 6L6 tubes that he had in it, but I wanted 6v6’s anyway for the same reasons as the OP. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE this amp. I changed out the tubes again earlier this year after one burned out, but I stuck with 6v6’s. I think you’ll be happy either way. I don’t ever think about upgrading amps, and, believe me, it’s not for an otherwise lack of GAS. It’s just that I’m completely satisfied with it.

Wallaby likes this.
  11. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

I really appreciate everybody responding and relating their thoughts and experiences, THANK YOU.

12. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

My experience is with an Encore head, and was as Lochry and Wayne Alexander describe. 6v6s not bad, 6L6 and variants thereof, best of all. I used vintage tung sol 5881s and a set of mismatched RCA blackplate 6L6s. All wonderful, with something a little extra from those blackplates.

Wallaby likes this.
  13. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

A pair of 6V6 tubes are less than $50. Try it yourself.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.