All You Need Is Love, Beatles 1967

Rene Asologuitar

Tele-Holic
"All You Need Is Love" is a song by the English rock band the Beatles that was released as a non-album single in July 1967. It was written by John Lennon and credited to the Lennon–McCartney partnership.

Election Day is a day for the future of our children and grandchildren!!!
Love is all we need - love is greater than hate - love is the greatest!!!
When one loves, one gives, one shares, one empties for another!!!

guitarsophist

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Nice version! But once again I am going to get into the lyrics a bit. This song is not as idealistic as it seems on the surface. It has a bit of Lennonish cynicism in it too. The first clue is the line: "Nothing you can say, but you can learn how to play the game." You can't do, sing, or say anything except what can be done, sung, or said. Instead, you have to learn how to play the game. And who decides what can be said? That doesn't sound as simple as "all you need is love." And then in the third verse we have:

There's nothing you can know that isn't known
Nothing you can see that isn't shown
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
It's easy

This can be read as a simple truth. But it can also be seen as eliminating the possibility of discovery, creating new knowledge, seeing beyond what the authority allows to be shown, or being somewhere you are not supposed to be.

So I think there is a tension between the power of love, which I think Lennon did recognize and value, and the constraints that society places on us. It is actually not "easy." That tension makes the song much more interesting!

decker

Tele-Afflicted
Hi @decker ,
Glad to hear your responses, always, my friend!!!
I am still trying to learn "If I Got On My Knees".
Warm regards!!!
Rene
Hi REne. Glad that you like The Cryin' Shames big hit; It will suit your voice perfectly. Can't wait to hear your version.
Fond regards my friend.

Rene Asologuitar

Tele-Holic
Nice version! But once again I am going to get into the lyrics a bit. This song is not as idealistic as it seems on the surface. It has a bit of Lennonish cynicism in it too. The first clue is the line: "Nothing you can say, but you can learn how to play the game." You can't do, sing, or say anything except what can be done, sung, or said. Instead, you have to learn how to play the game. And who decides what can be said? That doesn't sound as simple as "all you need is love." And then in the third verse we have:

There's nothing you can know that isn't known
Nothing you can see that isn't shown
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
It's easy

This can be read as a simple truth. But it can also be seen as eliminating the possibility of discovery, creating new knowledge, seeing beyond what the authority allows to be shown, or being somewhere you are not supposed to be.

So I think there is a tension between the power of love, which I think Lennon did recognize and value, and the constraints that society places on us. It is actually not "easy." That tension makes the song much more interesting!
Hi guitarsophist,
I love the way your analyzed the lyrics.
You are very true, it is not as simple as the song suggests on the surface.
The Lennonish cynicism is a work of genius, imho, and has a lot of twists and turns.
And at the end, no matter what "life" brings about, love is all we need.
We cannot bring all our treasures and riches.
Life on earth is very complicated.
I would still say, "Always choose love"!!!
Thank you, you are so appreciated, guitarsophist!!!
Respectfully,
Rene

guitarsophist

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Hi guitarsophist,
I love the way your analyzed the lyrics.
You are very true, it is not as simple as the song suggests on the surface.
The Lennonish cynicism is a work of genius, imho, and has a lot of twists and turns.
And at the end, no matter what "life" brings about, love is all we need.
We cannot bring all our treasures and riches.
Life on earth is very complicated.
I would still say, "Always choose love"!!!
Thank you, you are so appreciated, guitarsophist!!!
Respectfully,
Rene
Rene,

I'm glad you took my analysis that way. I had never paid a lot of attention to the verses in this song, but I was listening to this once and happened to pay attention. When I heard "There's nothing you can see that isn't shown" I thought, wait a minute, I disagree with that! So I listened to the whole thing more carefully and found that Lennon was believing in love as the answer, but also articulating all the things that get in the way. It's very cool.

Rene Asologuitar

Tele-Holic
Rene,

I'm glad you took my analysis that way. I had never paid a lot of attention to the verses in this song, but I was listening to this once and happened to pay attention. When I heard "There's nothing you can see that isn't shown" I thought, wait a minute, I disagree with that! So I listened to the whole thing more carefully and found that Lennon was believing in love as the answer, but also articulating all the things that get in the way. It's very cool.
Stay well, my friend, and thanks again for your wonderful responses!!!
Love is the answer, definitely!!!
With love and respect,
Rene