All time best US rock and roll band?

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
I'm aways reminded of the harsh reality of differing tastes whenever I read anything praising RHCP.
I love the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but I get why people don't like them. I watched their Your Favorite Band Sucks and I couldn't really disagree with any of it (especially the observation that RHCP is just a long-form advertisement for Anthony Kiedis's intimate region), but I still like them. Looking forward to the new album with Frusciante back in the band next year.

pypa

Tele-Holic
The best Rock and Roll bands came from Britain. Hard stop.

Van Halen, Aerosmith, GNR. They all had their place in the minor leagues, but the real rock and roll is all from England.

maybe REM or Nirvana. I will give it to Foo Fighters for their longevity and simplicity of message. Their rock is passionate but can be fun. They also know how to make fun of themselves.

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
lots of term bleed around rock, rock and roll, rockabilly, punk rock, metal, etc

rock and roll is a specific thing: it has the "roll," the swing

Little Richard
The Blue Caps
Carl Perkins
Larry Williams
and others

this straightened out into "rock"

which then hardened, got drunk in the South, went to Broadway, turned electronic, and so on

Manual Slim

Friend of Leo's
I love the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but I get why people don't like them. I watched their Your Favorite Band Sucks and I couldn't really disagree with any of it (especially the observation that RHCP is just a long-form advertisement for Anthony Kiedis's intimate region), but I still like them. Looking forward to the new album with Frusciante back in the band next year.
Sometimes I just can't resist the initial impulse to run them down. I do love Frusciante though

Ben Harmless

Poster Extraordinaire
MC5.

Took 'till post 220 to find the truth

I also offer an unofficial second to The Heartbreakers, The Ramones, The Blasters, The Stooges, The Blackhearts, The E Street Band (not just The Boss) and possibly CCR.

But the MC5 (and yes, the Stooges from Ann Arbor) were the sound of Detroit, and the sound of Detroit is the sound of America.

...They were also eventually watered down by their record label, and what's more American than that?

As a weird aside though, and I'm not even a serious fan, but The White Stripes are really responsible for a resurgence of garage and roots rock of a certain type that I really do like. There were other seminal bands here (Flat Duo Jets, etc.) but none really had the market impact.

Honorary mention for Rocket From The Crypt. They're the sound of California, and that's a big part of America, but it involves a lot of other things, too, which is also kind of American, at least in the way I was brought up to think about America, but I'll just leave it at that.

darkwaters

Friend of Leo's
I don’t believe in “best”, but my favourites would be a tie between The Allman Brothers and The Velvet Underground.

Bortyeast

Tele-Holic
No mention of The Cars? Ted Nugent's Amboy Dukes? James Gang??

Edit: I'll add Cactus, and any other band Jim McCarty's been a part of.

daddyplaysbass

Tele-Afflicted
Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels, No Light show, no prancing across the stage -- pure Rock 'n' Roll.

Check out their version of Please, Please, Please and Come on See About Me

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
'Rock & Roll' conjures up pre-British Invasion to me. Once the Beatles & Stones landed, the face of rock & roll changed forever.