All things Deluxe

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RockinforJesus, Jul 16, 2020.

1. RockinforJesus

RockinforJesus Tele-Meister

C28B6977-5915-44A0-BBCE-5377D5A8EAC9.jpeg So I am contemplating trading in my Mexi FSR Ash Tele for an American Deluxe. Aged Cherry Burst finish with a Rosewood board to be exact, although I would go with a Maple board for the right deal.
    Tell me about the N3 Noiseless pickups, S1 switch for the series option, and anything else you want to mention about them.
    C’mon, the gas is building pressure, and she’s gonna’ blow. Pic of said desired Tele for reference.

2. RockinforJesus

2177EAA2-F5B1-420F-83E0-8D1284EFBB99.jpeg Here’s my current Tele. Love it except it only has 21 frets. I think I’m ready for an USA Tele, what say you?!

3. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Get a Tele???
    You think we’re gonna say “No”????

grab it- looks really nice. Binding oozes class. ;)

4. RockinforJesus

CF90C844-5600-4FDC-9F1E-ECD54BC876BB.jpeg
    Yeah, I dig the whole color scheme on this one. Only other finish I would consider at this price point would be the natural with tortoise binding

5. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Holic

I have a ‘13 American Deluxe. I have no problem with the N3’s although they may be more modern sounding than some Tele diehards may prefer. I’ve considered swapping them out but then thought to myself, “Naw, I’ll just get another Tele”.
    The S-1 switch is kinda cheesy and ultimately failed. The neck PU began cutting in and out but it was just the switch. I’m not a fan of PCB laden parts, especially in a guitar so I swapped the S-1 for a 1meg pot and a 4-way to retain the switching options. While I was at it I went with a no load tone pot and changed the tone cap from a .022uF to a .033 and added a treble bleed.
    Craftsmanship wise the MIA American Deluxe is exceptional. This was the first new guitar I’ve ever owned that I didn’t have to even touch the setup. Not the nut, not the T-rod, not the bridge or even the intonation. The level, crown and fret ends are perfect.
    I guess I could say love it, blonde with it and it makes me wanna throw rocks at a really nice LP Standard that I just had to have. 28B6A66D-EDB5-4861-B093-4CC336AAC836.jpeg

6. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Looks great...the ones that I’ve played have a nice feel to them...I don’t cotton to N3 pickups—a little too modern and sterile for my taste—but if they work for you, that’s great...plus, if you don’t like them, you can always switch them out for another type of pickup.

Having said all that—the Tele you have now is a kick-hiney instrument...I wouldn’t sell it until you completely bond with the Deluxe.

7. lepaulo

lepaulo TDPRI Member

I picked up an MIA Ultra and have the opposite experience - fret levelling and crowning necessary before I could get intonation right. Nut slots set really high (to be expected on most new guitars I guess), electronics on first one were faulty and resulted in full replacement. The replacement has a truss rod that doesn't play nice at all. Manufacture dates: the first one was early 2020, the replacement made sometime late in 2019.

As for noiseless and S1 switch - I have to agree with many here that the pups lack a bit of bite compared to traditional pups and the S1 switch adds very little tonal variation but does boost the output noticably when activated. The upside of noiseless pups is that the neck pup sounds really clean, if that's your thing.

RockinforJesus and Kevin Wolfe like this.
  8. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Holic

The Op hasn’t gotten the Deluxe yet. I’m completely bonded with mine and will never get rid of it.

tah1962 likes this.
  9. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I realize that.
    I was talking to @RockinforJesus (the OP) who was asking our opinions about the Deluxe and (specifically) asked about the N3 pickups, which is why I made my statements in regard to them, and also why I made my suggestion to keep the MIM.

I didn’t state my opinion that I actually (all things considered) prefer many/most of the higher-end (and FSR) hecho-en-Mexico Fender instruments; to me, they’re the best bang for the buck guitars on the market in the last 20-25 years...because that wasn’t what the OP asked.

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  10. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

20200516_153341.jpg Mine's not a Deluxe, not even a Fender, but I sure likes it!

11. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

American Deluxes in natural ash with tortoise binding on a solid body was only made from 2000-2003 - so no contoured neck heel, Vintage Noiseless pickups instead of N3s, and no S-1 switching. From 2004-2015 American Deluxes in ash didn't have binding or body contours - outside of a limited run in 2006 that was in butterscotch blonde with black binding.

The natural ash/tortoise shell binding resurfaced in 2013 when they brought out an American Deluxe Thinline - but of course that's a thinline body which will sound a little different than the solid body version.

12. RockinforJesus

THAT is gorgeous!

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  13. RockinforJesus

The contoured heel is a big part of the equation. BTW, I found this one listed as a 1999 model. Really like this color combo. A Thinline would work for me.

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  14. RockinforJesus

Thank you all for the information. Keep it coming.
    Gives me some of the information needed to make my decision.
    Really looking for contoured heel and 22 frets (belly cut for additional points).
    Everything else is negotiable and easy to swap to taste.
    Been considering the MIM Deluxe Thinline also.

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  15. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

When Fender launched the original American Deluxe series in 1998 one of their colors was transparent purple. The purple turned out to be really variable - sometimes a nice "grape soda" purple, other times a blueish purple "bruiseburst", plus no matter how they shipped from the factory they faded. So Fender swapped the purple for natural some time between the middle of 1999 and the start of 2000. I've tended to call it "2000" because that's when it showed up on Fender's price list.

The 2013-2015 American Deluxe Thinlines do have the contoured neck heel.

There is also the American Elite Tele Thinline - it originally came in natural ash with the tortoise binding. But note that they came with this oddball bridge that just sits in a groove in the top of the body and is held in place with string tension. It has a more radially contoured neck heel than the prior American Deluxes.

RockinforJesus likes this.
  16. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Holic

My bad! I wasn’t clear on whose post you were referencing. I wholeheartedly agree that MIM Fenders are a great bang for the buck. In fact I’m on the prowl for one myself. That would allow me to keep and use the MIA in situations where I could live with the peculiarities of those pesky N3 pickups.

RockinforJesus and Fiesta Red like this.
  17. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Holic

Man, that’s a heartbreaker. It’s sad that Fenders QC has come to that. Maybe mine was a fluke, or yours. Anyway now I feel even more blessed and privileged to own and play such a sweep instrument.

18. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I would recommend you complete the deal !!!!!

RockinforJesus likes this.
  19. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I’ve got a 14’ CAR Am Dlx Tele. I like the N3 Noiseless pickups, but the S1 switch is joke. I ended up pulling it and putting in a 4-way switch to get the bridge/neck series. I love the compound radius neck!

The build quality on the AD is very good. I highly recommend getting one.

025FF9EA-CDED-4BA1-922D-42DFBD3C9BF6.jpeg

20. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Are you serious about it only have 21 frets? You prefer 22 because you actually play way up there? WOW!
    I actually prefer Fenders with 21 frets since I don't need that extra fret and I also think 21 fret Fenders look better.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.