All the other Beatles hated Paul’s song Maxwell’s Silver Hammer.

Paul-T

Tele-Holic
The one-zillion hour Jackson move was really interesting to me.

Macca was trying to hold things together - but was also becoming a real control freak. Lennon expressed this really well to him. He was telling George exactly how to play early on rather than letting him work out something that was right. I can totally understand why. But ultimately... Macca got his own way on his own solo albums, that were totally underwhelming while George's solo debut was awesome. And as for John's first couple...

Yes, it is an awful song. It probably did split the band more than Yoko 'did'. But no blame attaches. Things fall apart.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
I love it. I always have.

But not as much as Ob La Di, Ob La Da, which is think is utterly brilliant, and which the other Beatles also hated.

Beatles songs I skip: Revolution #9 (is this even a song?), Piggies, Everybody's Got Something to Hide..., Long Long Long.

Last edited:

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
I love it. I always have.

But not as much as Ob La Di, Ob La Da, which is think is utterly brilliant, and which the other Beatles also hated.

Beatles songs I skip: Revolution #9 (is this even a song?), Piggies, Everybody's Got Something to Hide..., Long Long Long.

For me, there's nothing to skip from "A Hard Day's Night" on. Okay, sometimes I skip "The Long and Winding Road," but we'll call that a me problem. I even like "Revolution #9." Many tried to imitate it and many failed (I'm talking to you, John Fogerty.) It may be the most obvious thing in the world to say, but I'll say it: It's a real trip. (Long ago, I had a much-older girlfriend who claimed that someone once locked her in a room while she was tripping and piped in "Revolution 9," and that was why she could never again listen to it.)

For your listening pleasure...

Last edited:

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
That type of song, like Yellow Submarine even more so, I too didn't like that much back in the day. Having rebought a CD of the album a year or two ago. I really listened to the music, and man .....it's great!

ZackyDog

Friend of Leo's
John certainly wrote his share of drivel as well. I also believe John had more or less “checked out” the last couple of years, not putting as much effort into “his” band, so Paul stepped in to fill the void.
And to try and fill the void when Brian Epstein passed away.

1665180864642.png

jdl57

TDPRI Member
One has to be careful about how "artistic" you are. The Monkees were disbanded, they were after all just employees on a TV show, because the refused to sing "Sugar, Sugar", a song written for them. They were replaced by cartoon characters, The Archies-Ron Dante and Toni Wine, and it became the number one song of the year. Maxwell's Silver Hammer isn't deep, meaningful, or cryptic, kind of like Sugar, Sugar, but it's fun. If you watched the Get Back documentary, it was obvious that the group was being held together by band-aids and chewing gum at the time. Paul, Ringo, and Billy Preston were the only ones who actually wanted to be there, and I think they just took it out on the song because beating up Paul wouldn't have seemed proper.

Last edited:

Fluddman

Tele-Holic
If anybody else wrote Maxwells Silver Hammer it would have likely been a hit - be it in the 'novelty' category.

But because it was Paul and he penned so many better songs we are critical.

So, relative to Paul, it is crappy but relative to pop in general it is pretty good.