all the hype about the cv series...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by SxFxBryce, Aug 3, 2011.

1. SxFxBryce

SxFxBryce Tele-Meister

My friend is looking to start guitar. She likes all types of music really and really wants a tele. Shes learned acoustic for a year ad now is looking for her first electric. She wanted a classic vibe but it was outta her price range. I suggested the standard squier tele and she looked at the specs and agreed. Theres a lot of reviews on the web but i wanted to look at the experiment guinea pigs... Which are you guys. I know she should try as many as possible but uhm... We dont really wanna go in there trying 20 different guitars.

Thanks in advance,
    Zoro.

Jk im not zoro.

2. edodo

edodo TDPRI Member

maybe she could save a little more and buy a used CV? My advice though would be to buy a used guitar, be it squier or fender, what matter most if she goes the squier way is to learn to set up the guitar herself, because a good set up is expensive in money, more than the price of the squier. Buy a real fret leveler and a straight edge and tune up that cheap used squier to tele goodness!

3. SxFxBryce

SxFxBryce Tele-Meister

You should write a book :D thing is, she doesnt want a classic vibe... She likes to stand out (which makes her sorta difficult) but she will have to restore and upgrade her guitar over time so thats why were thinkin new

4. homerzeppelin

homerzeppelin Tele-Afflicted

5. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Get your friend to save up to a Squier Classic Vibe - it's so worth it, really!
    ...and to make her stand out, You buy her this sticker.

[​IMG]

there, experiment guinea pig has spoken :twisted:

6. chrisgblues

chrisgblues Tele-Afflicted

I have a Squier Affinity, and a Squier CV50's...and the difference is astonishing. The CV50 kills the Affinity in every way...feel, fit, look, quality, and sound.

What sucks is that you often see used Affinity's for sale, but rarely do you see used CV's for sale (at least that's been my experience). Obviously this is because nobody wants to part with their CV.

JMHO. YMMV.

7. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

The important thing is to get a guitar and play it. Go try a bunch of guitars in her price range. Buy the one she likes best.

A decent amp is perhaps more important. I'd rather play a squier through a Twin than a nocaster through a Frontman 10.

8. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

I have a sparkle pink Squier Tele with a humbucker in the bridge position. I think it's considered a "standard" Squier. Sounds like it would be perfect for your friend, if you could find one. $170 at Guitar Center, about a year ago.

I think it's a great guitar. My friend, who has played professionally for something like 50 years, thinks it's a great guitar.

FWIW, I also own an AVRI 52, and several other Teles. I have good points of reference, and I maintain, that Squier Tele is a great guitar.

9. psyched

psyched Tele-Holic

+1. There's two parts to the equation, guitar + amp. Neither can be ignored, or the result is crap.

10. SxFxBryce

SxFxBryce Tele-Meister

Weve pretty much decided on a fender mustang 1.

11. bluesy

bluesy Tele-Holic

Amen!

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 Smart fellow.

What is really needed here is some seat time. Take the time and play all 20 guitars and 20 amps as well. It is worth it.

13. Rumblebones

Rumblebones Tele-Holic

Pass on the Affinity.
    Keep saving money.
    Keep practicing.

14. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Decent amps are cheaper than decent guitars. A Pro Junior is a way better amp than a Squier is a guitar.

15. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

I'd consider a Mustang II. A lot more punch for not a lot more money. But the whole Mustang line is great value for money IMHO.

16. thefees

thefees Tele-Holic

Let me share my experience with you. GCenter was having a special, spend $499 and get $100 off. So I bought the CVC 60's and was looking around for something to make up the other 130 bucks to get the $100 off. I couldn't find anything, then I spotted this Squier Standard Cherry Burst Strat for $229.
    So I bought it. I read a bunch of reviews and people were replacing the tuners because they couldn't keep it in tune, and I compared the pickups to some of the others and they didn't have the same levels. So then I started to think why don't I just sell this as a new-other guitar on eBay, and get another CVC instead. Not that it is a bad idea.

Then I discovered that the pickups were set too low in the pickguard. So I raised them, and surpisingly they now sounded as good as the CVC Strats did. Then I learned about using graphite on the nut, and even better yet, BigBends Nut sauce on every rubbing contact on the strings. Now it stays perfectly in tune. The reason why it kept tugging at me was because it was so beautiful, and it played so nice. With the action set low it was a keeper.

Well after the improvement in sound, and no need to get new tuners, now it is a great, and I mean great $179 guitar. (Normally $229). All you have to do is find someone who is buying a CVC when GC is running their 100 off of 499 special, and agree to split the benefit with your friend, and walk home with a Squier Standard Strat Cherry Burst for only $179. Check out the picture. When GC rung me up that way they said they just take $50 off of each guitar.

I say all of this with the understanding that the CV's are the top of the line, but the Standards with the above tips are pretty close. I also like the thinner headstock on the CV Strats over the Standard, but you are talking Tele here so a Tele Standard already has that problem licked. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

17. SxFxBryce

SxFxBryce Tele-Meister

Thanks, that made a lot of sense. So i guess the q im asking now is "whats the best rig she can get for under 450$

18. Hoopermazing

Hoopermazing Tele-Holic

I bought a Squier CV Tele at Guitar Center for $275 (including tax) They have a lot of them on clearance because people keep dropping them and chipping the pine. On some guitars that would be a deal breaker, but who cares about a ding in a Tele with a natural blonde finish?

Better yet, If there is some Irish equivalent of Craigslist, I'd check there. People just give their guitars away for next to nothing when money gets tight.

19. cpd73mc

cpd73mc TDPRI Member

I like my Mustang I amp that I bought recently. For what I needed it for it is working out great. If I would have had the additional $100 I would have gotten the II but for $99 the I is working out very well. If you get one you won't be sorry.

My only complaint and it is strictly for me personally is that I don't play distortion so the first four amp positions I really could care less about. However, that said, with the Fender Fuse software and the ability to program all the other positions, including the first 4 in the red and green light positions, the possibilities are unlimited.

If I need more amp I use some pedals into the Hot Rod Deluxe.

20. SxFxBryce

SxFxBryce Tele-Meister

Cool. Wed really be looking at local guitar stores coz all there prices are generally the same.375 for a cv, 220 for a standard and 180 for an affinity. She doesnt wanna buy offline, she wants to buy it in the flesh. I think she has ocd or something. The amount of times i suggested she got a cv50 offline she gave me the look... You all know the look woman give you... That look.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.