1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

All the girls love Alice - how 2 get the tone?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by effzee, Apr 22, 2021.

1. effzee

effzee Tele-Meister

What would they have done in 1973 to get that guitar sound?

My daughter wants to sing this with me, and I can play it pretty well, but everything I've tried to get that tone just ends up sounding like a very cheesy special effect. I'm trying to dial it in on my Boss Katana mk2, which I've only had a few weeks.

I've got closest by using, I guess this is obvious, overdrive/compression/delay/modulation (the "rotary" effect comes closest), but so far I've got nothing really usable.

Also ideas what I could try? Just keep tweaking the basics or is there some huge thing I'm overlooking here?

String Tree and tanplastic like this.
  2. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic

I have no advice but I've got to thank you for the post. I'd forgotten all about that track, and it's a great one.

Fuelish and effzee like this.
  3. effzee

effzee Tele-Meister

Yeah it's a heck of a song. The lyrics are HEAVY. I never really understood it till now. It's quite a testament to my daughter's taste and talent that she wants to do this one, and can sing it really really well. That's why I want to get the guitar sound up to snuff for her.

BB and Fuelish like this.
  4. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Perhaps a Fender Vibratone/Leslie or a Uni-Vibe pedal or something similar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uni-Vibe

I suspect it was a VT/Leslie with two mikes in different locations causing the delay and stereo effect.

This version is pretty cool as well. A darker tone and a great female vocal.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    Edgar Allan Presley and effzee like this.
  5. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Buy a piano, you'll thank me later. :D

6. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic

It sounds like you and your daughter have a special connection through music. Congratulations! That's more important than anything else in the world.

effzee likes this.
  7. effzee

effzee Tele-Meister

We have a piano, a good one built in Jena, Germany in 1921. My daughter started playing piano when she was 4. She's 21 now :cool:

Not sure how that helps me get the guitar tone I'm looking for though, tbh.

EZMFE and Fendereedo like this.
  8. effzee

effzee Tele-Meister

Ooooh that's really cool, I sent the link to my kid, she'll love it . Thank you.

Yeah there's definitely a Leslie-ish effect, that's why I think the Boss "rotary" is getting me in the ballpark. I assume it's their generic version of the Leslie.

I guess I can get the basic sound, it just sounds so cheezy and I'd like it sound more natural. Got a feeling I've got as close as I'm gonna get. Maybe some cowbell?

9. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

I was thinking "her name must be Alice."

Anyway I wonder how much of the problem nailing the tone is the fact that there are multiple guitar tracks and kind of a crazy stereo field.

effzee likes this.
  10. effzee

effzee Tele-Meister

Yeah that makes sense. Do you think that's just too much there for me expect of my Tele + Katana?

Her name is Isabella, btw :cool: She's a big Elton John fan, among many many others.

11. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Davey Johnstone, great player and very much underappreciated. I don't have a solid answer for you but think you're in the ballpark-Leslie/Leslie-ish. Here's an interesting discussion of vintage "guitar leslie":

effzee likes this.
  12. effzee

effzee Tele-Meister

Thanks :) Funny, we've both done our own thing musically over the years. I've always supported her 100% with her music lessons and school shows and stuff, but did my own thing with my guitars. It's only because of the current global situation that we started jamming together.

She asked me one day to play the guitar for a song she wanted to sing, and that forced me to learn my first pop song. It went great, so I asked her if she'd like an amp and microphone, which she eagerly agreed to, and now we've got a tracklist of about a dozen tunes we can do pretty well.

She's a far far better musician than me, but she's patient.

When it's possible again, I hope she'll hook up with some real musicians because she's got heaps of musical ability and knowledge.

13. effzee

effzee Tele-Meister

Awesome, thank you! One short moment went by that sounded very close to what I'm looking for and he mentioned scooping the mids completely out of the mix, which is going to send me back to the EQ labyrinth, but it makes sense. I actually think that might be exactly what's been bugging me. I can get the effect, close enough, but my tone stinks and sounds fake. Too much mid really could be the problem. Gonna try some things out tomorrow, thanks

Greggorios likes this.
  14. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Holic

Wasn't there a guitar through a Leslie on Elton's cover of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds?" Or am I remembering it wrong?

effzee likes this.
  15. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't think you will get real close with a pedal unless you are using an upper end swirly pedal with stereo outputs. When they used to mic those Leslie's They would either put mics on opposite sides of the room or on opposite sides of the rotary cone. That gives the delay and the great separation into left and right channels. But IN PERSON it is awesome! It sounds like it is swirling around your head. Trying to duplicate it on one amp would be problematic, but if you could borrow a second amp you could fudge it by splitting the signal and delaying one slightly. Getting a wide separation of the amps would enhance the swirly effect.

effzee likes this.
  16. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I just listened quickly on my phone, but it seems to be that a BF style tremolo could do it, or get very close.

green_henry and effzee like this.
  17. effzee

effzee Tele-Meister

BF?

18. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Like the opto-trem from Fender Blackface or Silverface amps larger than a Princeton.

I did this quick on a Les Paul - overdrive - Vibrolux Reverb with some reverb and the trem at like 8, speed 5:

Listen to Alice trem? by AlbertaGriff on #SoundCloud
    https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/PdHYZ

effzee likes this.
  19. effzee

effzee Tele-Meister

Oh blackface, duh, yes, thanks! That seems to be one of the elements for sure, cool stuff

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  20. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

rotosphere & fuzz.

effzee likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.