All Solid Chinese Built Dread

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Brendo, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Brendo

Brendo Tele-Holic

I've just made a purchase of eBay for an all solid (spruce on mahogany) dread. The ad states that it's exceptional handcrafted quality. RRP $699, I paid $370 shipped to my door (from the Chinese warehouse)

Upon opening the box and playing it for a week, I've noticed -
    - The saddle needed shaving. I've done this, and brought the strings back to a good height over the 12th fret
    - MOP inlays in the neck aren't flush with the neck surface
    - MOP inlays have a small brown stain on one of them
    - The dots on the side of the neck appear to be put on with a Sharpie, and look like they've run under the finish
    - There was a small ding in the abolone inlay around the edge of the soundboard.
    - The electronics are identical to ones that sell on eBay for $15 shipped from Hong Kong. But they are long and skinny and I can't find anything else that will fit in the hole in the side.

Now I know that none of these things are more than cosmetic (bar the saddle and electronics), but was I expecting too much? I've made the seller aware of these and he has offered to refund my outlay plus shipping, or replace it with something else from his range (fairly limited)

So, do I press on with it, modding and changing, OR cut and run?

2. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

you've been bamboozled amigo...

[​IMG]

3. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

How does it sound?

I bought a chinese made Guild GAD30 2 years ago which is flawless so i cannot knock what is possible from a chinese factory.

4. johnnykf

johnnykf Tele-Holic

5. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I wouldn't buy anything straight from Hong Kong. There's many really nice Chinese Guitars sold by Blueridge, Recording King, Silver Creek and others, but when you buy those from MF, Saga etc. you have an American distributor setting the standards, and standing behind the instrument's description and warranty. You got hooked and landed, I'm afraid. I'd gladly take the refund, if it's being offered, and move to an American seller.

BTW the "inlays" on virtually all inexpensive Chinese guitars are decals. On a headstock, it's fine, but I wouldn't want them on the fretboard. Just dots for me.

6. TaylorPlayer

TaylorPlayer Tele-Afflicted

My opinion after hearing all those things you CAN see is what is the bracing, kerfing and other things you CAN'T see like.

My advice is.... RUN FOREST RUN. (Get your $$ back and look into some of the beautiful solid wood guitars where quality control is a bit higher.) Guild GAD, Blueridge etc would be a safer bet.

7. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Take the refund. Another Chinese solid wood guitar to look for is the Parkwood (made by Cort). They used to carry them at GC. IMHO, they sound and play much better than any of the others I've tried. Very Taylorish.

8. EdMan57

EdMan57 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Yeah,I agree about the need for a respected and trusted US distributer when it comes to purchasing all but the cheapest Chinese built guitars.My all solid wood Chinese built Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500RE is a superb all around acoustic/electric guitar.But if it had not been sold/backed by Gibson/Epiphone [or a similar company],I would have passed on spending the $600+ for such.

Ed

9. cwcowell

cwcowell Tele-Meister

The Chinese-made GAD series from Guild (as well as models from plenty of other brands) are too nice and too affordable for you to have to put up with substandard Chinese guitars. Ditch it.

10. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

What brand is it?

11. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Its paint and varnish, not weapons grade poison.
    Look at a guitar that has been played for lets say 10 years. Now take sugar, make a little pile, the size of this pile corresponds to the amount of material LOST from the guitar from wear and tear, like a couple of thousand of an inch of finish on the neck. Now, look at the size of the pile and imagine how toxic this material has to be to cause problems to someone if absorbed over the said 10 years.
    Urban myth,
    if you dont chew everyday on your guitar you are probably safe

12. Brendo

Brendo Tele-Holic

Thanks for all the RUN FOR YOUR LIFE advice.

It's a guitar commissioned by a small time importer from Australia (we're talking runs of 20-30 at a time) and as usual he gets to have his name on the headstock and the sticker in the soundhole. Chances are he'll be gone by the end of the year.

However, I did email him and let him know my concerns. He did note that QC is an issue with the stock being shipped directly from the warehouse in China, rather than being imported to Australia and then checked over by him. We negotiated a partial refund, and I'm going to keep it. For what I have in it now ($320 including a hardcase, tuner, strap, dozen picks) I don't think I could have found anything locally that I liked, even in all laminate.

I'm in Australia too, so I'll list some of the other brands mentioned and their prices locally [and keep in mind the Aussie $ is currently $1.04 US]
    Parkwood - PW310M - $899 - no case
    Guild GAD30RE - $1445 - with case
    Blueridge BG-140 $1095 - no case
    Epiphone Masterbuilt AJ-500 - $1299 - no case

For those prices I could get a brand new Cole Clark FL1a (or a floor stock one for the Parkwood price)

This dread is bright as heck though, maybe it's the 80/20 Ernie Balls I put on it, and the under saddle pickup is still pretty crappy, but I don't have to handle it in cotton gloves either. I'll slip something under the bridge [internally] and see if that improves the sound. It's never going to be an item of envy, but I think I'll persevere with it. Plus I'm cheap as hell, and don't want to drop a grand on a guitar.

13. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Don't sweat it, Brendo... I've also been hearing VERY GOOD things about the Silver Creek brand in the last 6 months or so... another Chinese-made all-solid guitar.

Keep us apprised!

14. Brendo

Brendo Tele-Holic

Well, it's been a few months now, and while I'm not overwhelmed by the Hamilton dread, I'm not underwhelmed by it either.

I told all my concerns to the guy who sells them, and he partially refunded me. I'm not concerned with the money I've got in it.

I did have some intonation troubles. I thought it was due to shaving so much off the saddle, but after putting Ernie Ball Earthwound's on it over the weekend, I can say that the intonation was out from the cheap crappy strings that were sent as a bonus for buying it.

The onboard electronics and piezo are crap still, really metallic sounding and .. just horrid. I've got some JJB undersaddle transducers somewhere between New Jersey and here (according to USPS tracking) so that should improve the amplified sound somewhat.

The finish is a little chipped, and I expect it to chip more, but I can live with that. As long as big sheets of it don't life and fall away.

Overall, I am impressed. For $300, I certainly couldn't beat it.

15. Westreverb

Westreverb Tele-Meister

Hi there Brendo
    6 months ago I got a SilverCreek t-170
    All solid spruce and rosewood Dreadnaught and it was sent to Australia and arrived in perfect condition and plays unbelievable
    It's an incredible guitar for the price and with a case and shipping it cost $ 450 aus
    Got it from MF and it is fantastic
    Was mainly playing a Cole Clark fat lady 2 so it had alot to live up to
    Well it does, cannot speak highly enough of my experience with MF and the guitar is awesome
    Friends in Sydney are stunned at the sound and quality for price or in general
    Took a chance and am stoked with the result
    Sorry to hear about your journey but an American seller definitely made a difference
    Am still a little wary to but direct from China
    Hope you get your value and joy out of it
    Later

16. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

You guys see today's "Stupid Deal" from Musician's Friend? Silver Creek all-solid 'hog for $179.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.