All parts necks

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by horax, Mar 20, 2020.

1. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

What is the quality of all parts necks? They Fender licensed, but how would you compare them to other after market neck builders?

2. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

The couple I own (TRO/TMO) are fantastic. Well dressed frets, good quality, look good. I'm sure there could be a lemon in there sometimes but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

3. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Really good , maybe not the best overall . but the best for the money .

brookdalebill and horax like this.
  4. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

^^^^
    What he said. I have a few and they're nice. But do yourself a favor - get one pre-finished - I figure the time I spray, tint, sand though, respray and re-tint, whatever $$ I saved went out the door.

My favorite neck profile is "the" V BTW. It's big enough and a nice in between size compared to the regular C and the Fat neck profiles. YMMV

horax likes this.
  5. fraser

fraser Tele-Holic

I’ve used maybe 5 strat and tele necks from all parts.
    I really like them. I feel the quality is equal to warmoth,
    And equal to what you find on a fender neck.
    All parts I believe supplies fender Japan.
    Never had an issue with any of them.

one caveat if you buy a pre finished one, the nitro they use is super thick, and they use a poly undercoat as well. Nice if you want it to look good forever, but a bit plastic feeling.
    I do mine in tru- oil, I bought a prefinished tele neck from them once, beautiful fat v shape to it, but the finish doesn’t feel as good as it could.

horax and nojazzhere like this.
  6. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

Allparts necks (MIJ) are very nice.

Mark

brookdalebill likes this.
  7. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I have 2 parts teles with the V profile from Allparts. They have a nicely radiused V shape that is real close to Fenders first Baja necks.(size and shape) So easy to play.

8. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

They have a 50’s tele neck I’m watching for about 150. Might have to try it

9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Allparts are my go-tos, the FAT Teles anyways. Very high quality, in my short experience. I expect a L&C but so far haven’t needed one at all. I buy the unfinished versions, sand my own finishing touches and coat in nitro lacquer..

brookdalebill and horax like this.
  10. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Very good basic quality, which can be made excellent with a little TLC on the frets and fretboard edges. They are basically like MIJ or MIM Classic/Vintera Series Fender necks in terms of build quality. For the price they go for at The Stratosphere, you can't beat them.

I prefer to get them unfinished and without a nut. I pay my favorite guitar guy $100 to soften the fretboard edges, fix up the frets (mainly the ends need to be softened), and install a hand made nut. Then I lightly dye them and finish myself. Total invested, about $250 to $275, plus a few hours of my time, for a quality lacquer finished neck, finished the way I like to do it (aniline dye first, finely applied clear coats of a certain brand of lacquer, over the frets). When standard/stock features are what I want, I go with Allparts. If I want something with very specific features, or more high end for some reason, I go with Musikraft or Guitar Mill. Their fret work slaps Allparts's around and then some, so you don't need to pay to have that finished up by a tech. But you still have to have a nut put in (extra $$$). In general, you'll pay about $100 more for a neck from one of these places, once it's all done and ready to play.

brookdalebill, BorderRadio and rze99 like this.
  11. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

excellent quality for any money. I believe they are used on many, if not most, of the Nash guitars and I am sure by other makers as well.

Tip: Stratosphere has the best prices by far. I have no investment in or being paid by them. Just a happy customer.

12. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

A little light fret work and my roasted maple fat profile neck is as good as I've ever used. It's very lightly finished: I'm not sure what it is, but it's like a couple of coats of Truoil.

20200205_105641.jpg

Note of caution: drill pilot holes for tuners in roasted maple bigger than usual to prevent cracking.

20190826_172313.jpg

brookdalebill and FrontPU like this.
  13. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

I would get an original Fender replacement neck because the resale value is a bit higher

hemingway likes this.
  14. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

horax... I know that a lot of folks here really like Allparts necks, so they really must be of pretty good quality. I don't have experience with them - primarily because I don't want to have to prepare a nut, do fret work, and do finish work on a neck. I guess I'm a bit lazy that way and enjoy putting a completely finished neck right to work the moment I receive it.

If you want the ease of simple plug and play, go to Stratosphere, pick a Fender MIM or MIA "take-off" neck, with your choice of fretboard wood, pick the exact "look" you prefer from the great photos they show, and buy it.

I've done this perhaps 16-17 times and every single time had perfect results - bolt on, set-up, tune-up and you're playing an awesome neck. Bonus is the great and marketable Fender brand-name on the headstock. (For the day when you may want to, or need to, sell the neck/guitar.)

That said, if you enjoy doing, or just want to do, some of the work... it sounds like Allparts is a brand you can trust for good quality, and save a little scratch.

horax and nathan5782 like this.
  15. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

I am very pleased with mine. Came pre-aged, smooth, love it!

Attached Files:

16. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

They are excellent, however, the fret ends are rough, and will take a little attention... also as with ANY new neck, they should have the frets leveled, crowned and polished... Beyond that, until ya look at who's brand is stamped into the heel, it's damn near impossible to tell the difference..

Let me add, ANY aftermarket neck will have subtle characteristics that identify the maker, and separate it from genuine Fender...

However, unless you are schooled in such, no one's gonna know.. so don't sweat it... Of those, Warmoth's are most distant from Fender, while the All Parts are among the closest, which is a nice bonus for those seeking to duplicate OEM Fender products.

r

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    horax, nick0 and BorderRadio like this.
  17. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Most the necks I've bought are Warmoth I just really like them IMO best quality out there. I have used one all parts neck it was nice so they are a decent neck. Every neck I've ever bought dose need a fret leveling and recrowning. The only guitars I've never done fret work on are my Breedlove and my PRS. Now I always make my own necks I find it a very rewarding challenge. Regardless of what neck you buy as mentioned doing a fret leveling and recrowning really makes a deference and something to learn.

18. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have Allparts necks on 3 of my builds , to me they feel as good as a Fender . You get a choice of profiles too . Like Ron Kirn said they need a little love , I take mine to my tech and he installs the nut and does a setup . I have a couple Musikraft that are nice too . Also have bought necks from Stratosphere that worked out fine , slap 'em on and play ! Their prices have gone up however ...

19. solfege

solfege TDPRI Member

Exactly what Ron said is my experience with the one on the Tele in my profile pic. I love the neck, by the way. Plays beautifully and feels great.

20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Allparts necks are actually the exact same neck as Fender Japan used to sell on MIJ/CIJ Fender guitars with the Fender logo on the headstock.

Fender makes guitars in the US and Mexico but pays other companies to make Fender and Squier in other countries.
    So the factory that now makes allparts necks used to make the whole Fender Japan guitar line.
    Fender Japan has contracted with different Japanese builders to make Fender guitars.

An allparts neck is comparable to what you'd find on a $1000 Fender guitar, so good for a neck, not just good for the price.

I've had lots of brands and for example Warmoth necks are nice but much of their neck line is not like real Fender necks.
    They changed up the design and manufacture to more their own modern thing and less like vintage Fender.

horax and DHart like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.