All original '69 Tele with pearloid ply on guard

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Bob Mc, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

If that guitar is a solid. Clean and original as it appears, my advice would be to leave the electronics original. It should have 1meg pots, which I don’t particularly care for. I would never change them if they are original, though. Non-original solder joints will affect the value of the guitar. I would sell it before I would change it. YMMV.
    Nice collectible acquisition...IF it is all original.
    My thoughts on these ‘collectible’ Fender guitars is that if one doesn’t like what they do, it is very easy and less expensive to buy or build a guitar that does what one likes. I personally do not pay big bucks for a guitar that doesn’t do what I want and then change the guitar...and start losing money in the deal. Again...others’mmv.

StrangerNY likes this.
  2. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Meister

Interesting, my 1967 has 250K ohm pots dated '66. When did they change to 1M pots?

3. Wally

1967....but transitional is transitional. And....if you are dating that guitar by the serial number, you may have a guitar that is earlier than you think. Or...maybe you have a really early ‘67that was put together before the transition??.

4. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Meister

Serial number is right where it should be based on neck stamp date of Sept. '67. Mine has the later Black logo and F-style tuners.

Wally likes this.
  5. Wally

If the guitar in your avatar is the guitar in question, then perhaps the fact that is not a ‘regular’ Telecaster
    Could explain why the pots are not 1meg??? Who knows... but the change took place in 1967. That is when Tele’s got that piercingLy bright high end....as if they needed any help, right? That is when the ‘modern’ Tele wiring was introduced....
    neck/both/ bridge options on the switch with a Tone pot for all options.

6. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Meister

Very interesting! No, the guitar in my Avatar is my '74 Thinline. I also have a '77 Deluxe and '78 Custom, all of which have 1Meg pots, which I think were standard on guitars with the Seth Lover Humbuckers.

It's possible, I suppose, that someone changed the pots on my '67 back in the day, perhaps not digging the twang, but they are 1966 dated pots. My wiring was definitely messed with when the original pups were replaced with Seymour Duncans, and I assumed that was when the "dark tone" wiring was done away with in favor of the more modern (and useful) neck/both/bridge wiring. I have not collected much information on the pots (dates and values) in my research on 1967's because most of the guitars I've tracked down were from ads and auctions where pot values were not given.

7. Wally

If solder joints are not original, all bets are off. Fwiw, I have some ‘66 pots sitting here....intact pair with original tone cap, even.

8. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Meister

Wally,

My guitar was purchased from the original owner. It has all the correct body routes and notch, original Fullerplast still there, neck stamp date of Sept. '67 on an original finish neck and a serial number that matches that neck date perfectly. The original owner did not mention replacing anything other than the pickups and tuning machines (originals will be reinstalled), so unless a pot went bad and was replaced with an identical date code pot, or both pots were replaced with matching date '66 pots, I have no reason to believe that they are not original.

9. Wally

pcasarona wrote in post #28...."
    It's possible, I suppose, that someone changed the pots on my '67 back in the day, perhaps not digging the twang, but they are 1966 dated pots. My wiring was definitely messed with when the original pups were replaced with Seymour Duncans, and I assumed that was when the "dark tone" wiring was done away with in favor of the more modern (and useful) neck/both/bridge wiring. I have not collected much information on the pots (dates and values) in my research on 1967's because most of the guitars I've tracked down were from ads and auctions where pot values were not given"

I am not arguing with you. I am merely responding to what you have written. Adn...ID sis "IF the
    pots are not original...".....as you suggested they might not be in that post I quote above....#28.

10. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

The pearloid backed plate is correct for '69,anything else would be unusual!....don't leave it off the guitar too long or else screw it down fully to a scrap of ply or similar...these guards love to shrink and can actually contract quite quickly when years of tension contained by being screwed in place are removed...these upsidedown plates break less around the screw holes than those correct side up on thinlines etc but don't overtighten screws on either when replacing...
    Re the 1Meg,they do seem an odd choice now but are actually much more sensitive and useful on the bigger amps that were in vogue at that time than they are with todays smaller amp trend....try them through a non-master vol 100W or even 50W cranked up and you'll be..well,deafened,but also amazed how controllable they become...

11. Wally

That 'control-ability' might have more to do with the .001mfd treble bypass cap that went into those '67 and later circuits than it does with the resistance of the pots. Those 1meg audio taper pots are BRIGHT......not my cup of tea. oemv.

12. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Meister

Wally,

Didn't think you were. I was just trying to give all the info I had to help understand the timeline we discussed earlier about when the change was made to 1Meg pots.

Since my last post, I was able to do a little more research and found mention in A.R. Duchossoir's book that "..in 1969, the 250K pots were gradually superseded by 1 MEG units.." If correct this would explain why my guitar has 250K's. Sorry if I gave the impression that I thought you were arguing - not my intention.

Paul

Wally likes this.
  13. Bob Mc

Bob Mc Friend of Leo's

And, FYI as confirmed with owner; we are switching the pots to make it more usable. He is well aware of impact of resale value, but his folks give it to him as a gift in 1970 and he wants it play it not sell it. I have built him a new circuit and we will keep the original for posterity. I for one, am super excited to hear this guitar!

14. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Meister

Would love to see and hear it when your done! Perhaps you can upload a video?

Bob Mc likes this.
  15. Bob Mc

Bob Mc Friend of Leo's

I am going to try to record jumpering in both circuits to A/B and record. I have a low fi USB mic that I hope is up to the task. Be glad to post it.

pcasarona likes this.
  16. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

Yeah,by sensitivity I really meant how far you have to turn to get a quick up or down on vol....250 needs more rotation,1 meg a lot less..a tip will do....though its easier to overcook,I like the instant response.
    ...re the .001 I've tried them clipped and in place...I have finally left them "live" so to speak but can entirely see why plenty are clipped out!
    The owner is dead right to put in what he wants here...better have it suit his playing and get a kick out of it than worrying about resale...not like its a Nocaster or whatever...though I'd like to think he's not going to put a Kahler in there!Love to hear if you can arrange the A/B

Bob Mc likes this.
  17. Wally

The Duchossoir book notes on page 63 that the change to the 'modern' wiring for the Telecaster took place in late 1967. This change, as I noted above, resulted in neck/both/ bridge options on the switch with a Tone pot for all options. The 1 meg pots were part of that change.

18. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Meister

I have a first edition (1991) copy and the diagram on that page actually shows one 1Meg pot and one 250K pot, but on the next page it lists the components as two 250K pots and goes on to say that the 250K pots were gradually superseded in 1969.

I think my guitar is actually from the time period that would have had the second wiring setup, and that the "Dark Tone" circuit was changed at the time the pick-ups were replaced. As you said, you can't be 100% sure after the changes were carried out, but I have no reason to believe otherwise. Thanks for all the discussion and perspectives. It has really helped me decide how I want to proceed on my project. Apologies to the original poster as I kind of hijacked this post and should have really started a new post about dating pots. Cheers!

19. Wally

I see the confusion in how the info is presented. I have owned a '68 Tele that had an OEM 1 meg pot on the volume..... Nothing is written in stone, it seems.

20. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Meister

You can say that again!

Oldwood likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.