All my P90 guitars I sold and regret.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by b2187101, Oct 22, 2019.

1. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

If they aren't, you should be able to find some decent replacement ones off Amazon for cheap. I found a decent set of 6-inline sealed tuners for (IIRC) less than $20 (with free shipping).

The only aggravation I ran into when replacing the tuners was that the headstock wood seemed especially soft, and with a sealed-type tuner, you have to be careful not to crank down the nuts too much, or they'll sink into the headstock.

stratohiker and Obsessed like this.
  2. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Well, I haven't had any problems with tuning. Only thing it required was a good set-up, including some nut work. Slots were nowhere near deep enough and open chords and barre chords on the lower frets were going sharp as a result of being pressed down to the frets. Plays amazingly over the whole neck now.

Obsessed likes this.
  3. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I miss my Squier with P90s. I never should have sold it. (How many guitars have I said that about, though?)

ftbtx likes this.
  4. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

What made you get rid of them?
    I started out with 2 single coil pickup guitars but moved on to Humbuckers and just started getting back into single coils again. I do tend to like the large singles over the little ones.

5. RatBug

RatBug Tele-Meister

Not on mine but it was a cheap swap for some Wilkinson tuners.

6. Old Smokey

Old Smokey TDPRI Member

I picked one up for $99 and yes, the tuners were crap. I bought new ones from China for about $17. I had to drill the holes out, but it was a pretty easy swap.

I swapped the bridge out too, but the new one sits higher, so the action is higher now, but still playable.

Next, I want to put a staple p90 in the neck position, but I've never done any wiring before. Glad to have a $99 guitar to experiment on though.

CFFF likes this.
  7. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I agree that P90s sound great and that they're really hard to mess up. El cheapo P90 pickups sound wonderful, IMO.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

046.JPG
    Only pic I have right now. My PRS SE One, with added Hot Rail-style at neck, and added tone control. I don't take my 1960 LP Jr out anymore, so this is my P-90 guitar if I want one at a gig. I'm probably going to sell this one, I just don't need anything other than my Telecaster anymore. Incidentally, this PRS P-90 compares VERY well to my 1960 Gibson one.

brookdalebill likes this.
  9. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

Easily the best P90 guitar I've ever tried. I can't say I wouldn't sell it, but I wouldn't sell it cheaply.

richiek65 likes this.
  10. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

i have a few p90 guitars. three es125t, an es125tcd, an es 125tc and a 125. always a great sound. always a little noisy.

play music!

Barncaster likes this.
  11. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Raven West? I had one of those. Worth the price.

12. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Heres mine, a G&L Tribute ASAT Jr II. Mahogany body, Tone Pros bridge. I gutted and rewired it with the following: Wolfetone Mean/Meaner set of P90s, an Emerson Pro 500k volume pot and CTS tone pot, Gibson switch and jack, Orange Drop cap and a Kinman style treble bleed.

What I've found is, this is probably THE most dynamic guitar I've had. Your picking hand and attack determine what its gonna sound like. The tone control actually acts like a volume knob "fine tune." If I turn the vol down to 5 with the tone at 10, turning that tone down to 5 also doesnt just subtract treble, it actually cleans it up MORE, in both drive and volume. This puzzled me for a while, thinking I must have wired something wrong and had a "happy accident, " but really it's the nature of these pickups. They're MEGA dynamic. You have more control of everything, but you have to know your guitar and work it more. On my strats and teles, the difference between say 4 and 6 on the knobs is fairly insignificant. Not so on this one!

20181126_220057.jpg

zippofan, JayFreddy and nojazzhere like this.
  13. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

IMG_0165.JPG Like me some P90's Lollar's here.

JayFreddy likes this.
  14. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I like the fade on that ‘burst.

E5RSY likes this.
  15. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Tuners? No, but don’t let one thing stop you from buying a good guitar. They’re replaceable.

Obsessed likes this.
  16. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I sold my Les Paul 55/75 during a time of economic distress. That was a fine guitar with an excellent, light mahogany slab, a comfortable 50’s neck, and P-90s. This was the first ‘revival’ of something like a single-cut Special. In ad copy and specs Gibson called the pickups SSL-1 which was Super Single Coil-1.

I traded away my 55/77 with P-90s. It was bought new, but its neck warped in a way no one had ever seen, before: convex on the high E side, concave on the low E side. If I removed the strings and the relief, it would straighten out and be perfectly flat. It went back to Gibson under warranty and came back the same. They probably cut the strings off, said “there’s nothing wrong with this,” leveled the frets, and put it back in the box. It had sat at Gibson for 4-5 months while they were on strike and I’m sure they were in a rush to get it done and gone. A set up should have told them that it wasn’t fixed, but they either didn’t give it one, or didn’t care. It should have been renecked or replaced.

17. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

My Jetstream 390. Nice looking and playing guitar, but I find the P90s to lack character compared to my humbucker equipped guitars. As such, this one may soon be going on the chopping block. Hope I don't regret it !

DSC07819.JPG

18. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, the fade is pretty much gone, except for that bit where the cutaway meets the neck where it used to be covered by the pickguard.

19. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I'm waiting on one of these. Apparently Gibson sold out of 2019 and is making a new run of them. Been about 4 weeks already so hopefully not too much longer. It's the 50s Std, I like the necks on these . The older I get the more I appreciate a thicker neck

20191024_095211.png

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    rze99, Barncaster, AxemanVR and 2 others like this.
  20. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I think the reason you may be regretting selling your P-90-equipped guitars is that P-90's are the greatest pickups ever. At least that's how I've been feeling the last few weeks.

stratoman1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.