1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

All Mahogany acoustics, tell me about yours

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Deathray, Mar 23, 2021.

1. John E

John E Friend of Leo's

I don't have one but I have been Jonesing for a Taylor 322ce and/or 522ce for many years now... lol. Just never pulled the trigger. As a matter of fact one of those was next on my list... until I bumped into my Breedlove CM Voice last month. I won't be buying anything for a long while after that expenditure... lol (Yeah right!)

Deathray likes this.
  2. John E

John E Friend of Leo's

Oh Boy... I bet that sounds NICE

Rockdog and Deathray like this.
  3. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I picked up this 000-15 two years ago for cheap. It's a very sweet sounding guitar and extremely comfortable. I grab it before anything else. 8464B5B4-6C8F-43C0-9A0B-B75620DCE028.jpeg

4. brashboy

brashboy Tele-Meister

I have the Sigma SD15S, which is an all-mahogany dreadnaught with solid top and a bone nut, mahogany neck. It's a cannon, gorgeous sound. And just gorgeous. Here's one on Reverb (no association with seller) for $300.

https://reverb.com/item/1493381-sigma-sd15s-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar

Here is a YT demo, which gets more interesting at about 5:30:

Deathray likes this.
  5. Jeri

Jeri Tele-Meister

I have a Martin 000-15 bought new one year ago . Bought it online from a music store I often used in person pre lockdown nonsense. It sounds awesome but doesn’t feel in the same class to play as my Gibson j30

Deathray likes this.
  6. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

One of my favorite guitars, size, sound and looks.

Deathray likes this.
  7. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I have a Fender FD-60CE Mahogany that I love. Part of it is sentimental value, as it was a gift--but it's still a pretty nice guitar.

Deathray likes this.
  8. Tom Grattan

Tom Grattan TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

My old 0 18 Martin is hard to beat, even though I've beaten it pretty good over the years. This little guitar will hold up to any 00 or 000. Wonderful chiming Martin sound but really good bottom end. Light and small.

Attached Files:

envirodat and Deathray like this.
  9. oregomike

oregomike Tele-Meister

Here’s mine. Absolutely love it. It will go to my grave. Excuse the barrage of photos. I couldn’t pick one. SCGC 1929 00
    90FE5DD2-B79B-407C-BB04-F8043E0B5BEA.jpeg 4EEEC5E1-3A31-4189-83E1-F1DCE80B0DCA.jpeg E905DC4E-A806-487A-BDE6-E2E2BC428664.jpeg 0F83719B-6850-4FC7-AA6A-25E5936A2E01.jpeg

uriah1, envirodat and Deathray like this.
  10. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

This is my current acoustic (not my pic, but same guitar).

I had a vintage 0-15 at one point, which was awesome; sold it for financial reasons. And I had a newer 00-15, which was just okay.

But I got one of these maybe 15 years ago for like $100 or something and it's just perfect. I love it.

Deathray likes this.
  11. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

That model remains one of the most pleasant surprise guitars I have ever encountered. Our local Fender dealer carried them and more than a few of us walked away really impressed by it. I see they are now also offering a 12 string version.

Deathray likes this.
  12. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Let me just give a quick heads up about the 12 string Hellcat. My local store had one on the wall, the bridge separated. They asked me to fix it (I suggested that they send it back). What I found was that fender had failed to remove the catalyzed poly-something finish under the bridge. Glue does not stick well to finish. Notice the new guitar sticker on the p/g.

IMG_4532.JPG

Did they really expect this to withstand 230 pounds of tension?

IMG_4533.JPG

Cleaned up the mess, it was frankly a ***** to get the finish off the top

IMG_4553.JPG

Glued it back on with AR and some good clamps

IMG_4555.JPG

When asked about warranty on this my store (an authorized Fender dealer) was told that there was none. "Thats the way we build them" was the reply.

Ps - the store finally sold the Hellcat at less than their price, without warranty and with full disclosure (they included a set of my pictures). I said I would stand behind the repair as long as I'm alive (my standard warranty).

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    jfgesquire, envirodat and Deathray like this.
  13. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I had a Takamine F-349 for a while. I loved the sound and feel of it, but I gave it to my nephew who'd had his guitar stolen. If they made it with a 1 3/4" nutwidth I'd want another one. Mine was a "lawsuit" model, but I'll bet the late-model ones are great. They probably have nice electronics, too.

Deathray likes this.
  14. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I was drawn to a Taylor American Dream all hog...very nice! But to be sure, I a/b’d it against a Martin 000-15SM, which I had lusted after since it first came out as the 000-15S some 20 years ago.
    The Martin won. Actually my favorite guitar now.

474550E6-23BA-4120-ABEE-98A2E7A928DB.png

evvignes and Deathray like this.
  15. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a Martin 0-15M Custom that was a short run for Elderly instruments. 10 each of each concert body size. LOVE the tone and weight. Not a fan of the longer scale of the 15 series. Would be a perfect guitar if it was 24.9" scale.

0E40_body-front.jpg 0E40_case-open.jpg

Very bright but still balanced tone. I tamed some of the brightness with Martin monel strings.

evvignes, Deathray and Old Smokey like this.
  16. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

I have an all Honduran mahogany custom Martin 00-15 i bought new in May 2012. I've played the heck out of it, was my gig acoustic for most of those years. Well broken in, louder than you'd expect and fun to play.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  17. evvignes

evvignes TDPRI Member

I’m a bit late to the party, but those last few Martin’s inspired me to post my own.

2015 Martin 0-17 custom shop.
    I believe it was originally commissioned by Music Villa.
    I love this guitar, it’s a game changer.
    Here’s a nice review of a similar or possibly the same guitar:

upload_2021-4-7_16-19-28.jpeg

upload_2021-4-7_16-20-10.jpeg

RomanS and Deathray like this.
  18. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Afflicted

Harmony H-165 c.1958.
    The poor man's Martin 'hog.
    Paid about 75 bucks a few years ago.

Brazilian rosewood fretboard
    Baseball bat tulipwood neck
    All hide glue construction
    Ladder braced
    Made in America
    I made a pinbridge for it out of a pre-ban rosewood blank, and reset the neck.

Sounds great.

20210330_133129.jpg

20210407_142844.jpg

20210407_142924.jpg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  19. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Last week I bought an Orangewood brand Oliver model all mahogany Grand Concert size guitar off of CL. Brand new they are $195 made in Indonesia.

For travel, restrung with 12-56 80/20 strings and it sounds great, and is versatile. A good strummed rhythm, sweet sound for slack key and finger picking.

ORANGEWOOD_OLIVER_MOHOGANY_SOLID_TOP_GRAND_CONCERT_ACOUSTIC_GUITAR-1_1200x.png

evvignes likes this.
  20. Manothemtns

Manothemtns Tele-Meister

I believe it was in 2016 that Gibson had a special run of 50 all-hog J-45's. I really wanted one but it was bad timing as I'd just recently purchased two other guitars. The hog Gibson looked fantastic as a round shoulder. While I was ruminating over its possible purchase, Larrivee released an all-hog Custom D-03 which was full of figuring mostly comprised of flaming. It is a wonderful guitar both aesthetically and tonally. It filled the bill for me for an all-hog acoustic and I saved roughly $2K over the Gibson. Not often, but on occasion, the Gibby hog pops up on Reverb at asking prices that are greater than when new.

Deathray likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.