1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

all in praise of the classic vibe neck shape and feel.

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by buckwalder, Dec 9, 2014.

1. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

I may be dating myself but I can still remember going to pawn shops and the cheaper music stores in the early eighties.

The thing that turned me off about cheap guitars is that they all seemed to have fat neck. Now maybe they were trying to copy the mid 50's Gibson and Fender shapes.

During this time I didn't put too much into the neck shape of a guitar. My only electric at the time ( late 70's ) was a 68 telecaster.

But every time I found a guitar with a fat neck it seemed cheap to me.

Just a couple of days ago I played a very expensive guitar with a fat neck and it reminded me of that feeling I had when I was younger. The guitar was a 57 Goldtop.

I know people like fat necks but I find that a lot of the players that like fat necks have smaller hands than me.

I really like the feel of the Classic Vibe necks. The neck on my CV 50's feels like home.

So this thread is for the love of the Classic Vibe necks.

2. tlm3210

tlm3210 Tele-Meister

I have come to love the feel of Vintage Modified necks. I don't know what the difference is but I like them better than my two MIM Fender necks.

3. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

There seems to be some slight variance in them lately from what they were like a few years ago. Maybe just a little more depth to the shallow "C" profile. I may be imagining it but they do feel just a bit different. Maybe Fender has been reading posts here and responding to the complaints that the neck feels "too skinny".

Even though I prefer a soft "V" profile with a little more depth and less shoulder I never found them hard to play compared to those necks that are "too fat". The "D" profiles found on many Gibby's just don't work for me nor the early '50s Fender "U" profiles. I ended up swapping the stock neck on my CS Nocaster for that very reason.

4. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I jumped on the CV wagon early on , and quickly ordered one more because the first on was so good. Didnt understand all the comments about thin necks , they felt fine to me. These are identical guitars , allthough the second one is really heavy.
    When the first CVC ´s came out , I really wanted one , but they werent in stock anywhere.Bought one through the ads on TDPRI from UK . About the same profile , even though the neck is off course with a Rosewood fretboard
    I had to have the black one with the matching headstock as well , and that one have a fatter neck.
    I dont care at all. Other than the thinnest or fattest , I like most necks , and quickly adjust to what Im playing.
    All 4 of mine were bought online , and all 4 are absolutely great guitars..

5. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

yes! I love the cvc neck.

its not that thin.
    here is one next to a 52RI neck.

[​IMG]

6. fil9998

fil9998 TDPRI Member

modern C shape plus 9.5-14.0 compound radius on 22 frets is very close to perfection IMHO ...

I only would like better a 10.0-16.0 comp. rad. if associated wit 24 frets and a slim neck-body joint as on ibanez, blade, godin etc ...

I have 3 squiers
    a classic vibe tele vintage blonde (hotter PUs than butterscotch)
    a classic vibe tele thinline
    a vintage modified cabronita with bigsby

all have modern C shape + 9.5 radius... quite perfect

I bought also a squier telly vintage modified custom (two full size humbuckers) but I'm gonna sell it 'cause C neck profile and the larger fretboard at 12° fret feels a little unconfortable to me compared to those of CVs.

I would buy an american deluxe telly just to have the belly cut and 9.5-14.0 comp rad on the same modern C profile.
    but relly I think it is not worth 4 times more the price of a squier CV as anyway I'd change PUs for some Bill Lawrence ...

after all ... for $ 1800 a luthier can satisfy any telly desire better than fender would...

7. fil9998

fil9998 TDPRI Member

ah ... classic vibe custom has got a touch thicker C shape than other CVs ... slightly too thick to my taste...

:)

8. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

As I dabble in bass too, and I have giant hands, I don't mind neck size too much, as I have a copy of an ES175 with an acoustic worthy baseball bat of a neck, and a Squier Jazz bass with a very skinny neck. I quickly adjust, but I will say, my CVC is a good starting point for middle ground, and I've never been uncomfortable playing it.

9. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Having small hands, I definitely tend to favour a slimmer neck and that of my 2008 CV50 Tele suits me very well. That said, other guitars I own have a variety of neck profiles, from very slim indeed to fairly substantial, and I seem to adapt without difficulty to different shapes and fingerboard radii. I do prefer well-rolled fingerboard edges to sharp squared-off ones, though.

10. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

The neck on my CV Thinline is susbstantial. I would say it even approaches beefy. That being said, I never met a Squier Standard neck I didn't like.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  11. oldteleguy

oldteleguy Tele-Afflicted

I like all of the squire necks, especially the CVC. Small arthritic hands make baseball bats very uncomfortable for me.

12. androo

androo Tele-Holic

I am a fan. I've got a CV50 which i get along with very well, and an early Vintage Modified Strat which I dig as well. The fattest neck I have is an old Custom shop Washburn Laredo. I like it too! Can't say I've ever met a neck I couldn't get along with. Takes some good ole bonding time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.