1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

All in one laser printer recommendations

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chud, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

My inkjet printer is getting old and starting to fail a bit. Simple documents have always taken a long time for it to process and print even though it's connected directly by ethernet. I'm almost out of my ink supply (a couple of black cartridges left) and am thinking it's finally time to make the move to a laser printer. I think I bought it in late 2014 or early 2015, so I've gotten a good 6 years of fairly heavy use out of it.

I'm on a mac and iOS devices, my wife's on PC and android, so looking for recommendations on all in one laser printers that work well across all platforms/devices. I might be willing to pay a premium for a color model, but could probably get away with monochrome for most of my uses.

I've always gravitated toward Brother products, but my current one doesn't work seamlessly with my wife's tech and I often end up having to print her documents for her. Thinking about a few different models from HP and Canon right now that have decent reviews from both mac and pc users, but hoping to tap into the sage wisdom and experience of the all knowing, all seeing TDPRI.

Thanks in advance!

2. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Whatever you decide, make sure it's wireless.

Chud likes this.
  3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Dr. Evil would call it Lazar

We like our HP 8028 remote.

Chud likes this.
  4. Chud

One would think that's a given by now, but that's actually one of the things I'm trying to solve for with a new printer. I can print wirelessly from all of my apple devices with my current Brother printer that's 6 years old, but my wife's PC and android devices have always had problems connecting to it.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  5. Chud

42fd7a1f3181e87c1a3c1d0599b05f23d3fbcb0f9d49eebfba2b878beda2cbcb.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Trying to get away from inkjet and move to laser for the next printer. I've been basically happy with inkjets over the years, but I do a lot of text printing of reports, articles, etc and it's just not as crisp as I'd like. There's also a lot of waste with inkjet printers, particularly if there's a period when you don't print for a while and have to do a cleaning to unclog the jets.

My current printer will stop printing period if it thinks it's out of one of the 4 colors, meaning it won't even print in BW until I replace the "empty" cyan cartridge even though it's not empty and it's not even using it. And don't get me started on having to rig up the cartridges to fool the machine into thinking there's a full cartridge in there when it thinks a cartridge is empty but still has a good 100 pages of ink in it. :mad:

uriah1 likes this.
  6. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have had great luck with laser printers by Minolta. My experience is that they work every time, until they don't work anymore at all...

Chud and Tommy Biggs like this.
  7. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I've had good luck with a Brother All in One - it's 6 or 7 years old now. The Scanner and the copier have come in handy. I don't print anything fancy though.
    I've never even tried to print from my Apple devices either.

bill in kc, Chud and SRHmusic like this.
  8. Chud

One other feature that I'm looking for is duplex scanning through the ADF that comes out at least mostly not crooked. It's not an important feature until you're scanning in 50-100 double sided pages and you're like "wait a minute, I thought the one I bought had duplex sca....oh, just duplex PRINTING. Rats..." :lol:

On my current printer, the ADF is pretty much useless. It jams up or starts going crooked by the second or third page about half the time.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  9. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I've been using a Brother MFC-7820N for ten years, no issues and the toner lasts a long time. It's a black and white printer, scanner, copier and fax. They probably have newer models in that family.

Chud likes this.
  10. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

More important is 5 GHz WiFi. Many low cost laster printers are not, and some do not have an Ethernet port. Lots of home networks have issues where people blame the ISP but it's really from crappy gear under the roof and very often made worst by so many sharing the 2.4 spectrum near by.

How do I know this pain so well? Last year we moved dozens of employees to work at home. Even in the enterprise where we have dense WiFi network issues and neighbors getting rid of 2.4 GHz has been key. We (IT) now support home office users at scale we never anticipated before.

One strategy is just plug your printer into your home router/switch with Ethernet. That's most reliable and you can very likely find a great printer with Ethernet port before 5 GHz WiFi.

Products to consider:

1. Printers. The HP 200, 300 and 400 series have kept our staff the happiest. My own at home office has been better than expected. It's an overall easy to setup, reliable, supplies and warranty if needed that is keeping many happy.
    2. Your home network. Use 5 GHz if possible or a feature called band steering if you have it. That uses 5 GHz when possible. Again, use wired Ethernet as a solution to eliminate 2.4 GHz.
    3. Home network #2. Consider a quality meshed type SOHO router/bridge/switch unit. Absolutely make sure it has the band steering capability, is mesh type, and has some Ethernet ports. The has REALLY worked well solution for our SOHO staff and I got it too is Ubiquiti brand. They also make enterprise stuff but have an Amplifi home brand. Radio performance is tremendous, and they're good about patches for security fixes.

I recognize there are lots of good products out there but these tips are for stuff we now have at some scale. Stuff both unsophisticated and sophisticated users have been happy with.

P.S. HP's mobile app that uses Bluetooth is part of why a lot of our staff have been happy. It makes the wireless and network setup very easy for a low cost printer that doesn't have a big display.

Tommy Biggs and Chud like this.
  11. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Avoid the all-in-one units ... just get separate components so when one fails you don't have to pitch the entire thing.
    I have had one flatbed scanner for the last fifteen years that I got used and have had three laser printers.

I'd suggest getting an HP Laserjet. I'd say the model I have but they change model numbers a couple times a year so most likely you can't find it. But stick with HP.

Check for the availability of toner cartridges by third parties for the model you are considering.
    This last printer I found replacements for a third the usual cost. Excellent for the virtual student needs in the house.

Tommy Biggs and Chud like this.
  12. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have an HP. It’s fine. Does everything, has Bluetooth which is great because you can print from any device anywhere. Cost about $80 I think. They practically give printers away for free these days because they get you on the ink, which is astronomical expensive.

Chud likes this.
  13. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

canon mf244dw - B/W Only and the toner cartridges are cheap on Amazon. Toners cost in the range of $15-20 for 3rd party toners and they have worked flawlessly in the printer. Scanner works great. Fax has never been used. I don't have a phone line (and don't miss it). Printer can be had for $150. Highly recommended.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  14. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

After years of frustration with inkjet printers, culminating with an HP color printer that used its own ink to clean itself --the damn thing cleaned itself more than my cats--, and would not print unless all four colors were enabled--I only printed monochrome--I went to a monochrome Brother MFC-L2740DW.
    On my second, after wearing the first one out.
    Very reliable, simple to operate, good print and scan quality.
    Gets my vote.
    They have them in color also.

Chud likes this.
  15. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

No way :p Make sure it has cabled LAN and a fixed IP address :D

WiFi is for the things I can't (practically) stick a cable in.

HP Color Laser MFP 176FNW is a decent choice. Or HP Laser MFP 137FNW if you're good with b/w.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.